    1 Are they any good and

    2 Can these connect to the net

    Cheers
    Phil, Nov 30, 2005

  2. "Phil" <> wrote in message
    news:Tvajf.4779$...
    > Hi can anyone tell me if
    >
    > 1 Are they any good and
    >
    > 2 Can these connect to the net
    >
    > Cheers

    Navman don't include gyroscopic / vehicle speed sensing technology - this is
    only good for cars though, and means that the sat nav can still guess pretty
    much where you are even when the sat signal is lost.

    Other than that , i don't know if those are any good (and the fact a navman
    product took some australians via a 4wd track when they wanted to drive from
    chch to nelson.
    news.xtra.co.nz, Nov 30, 2005

  3. "Phil" <> wrote in message
    > Hi can anyone tell me if
    >
    > 1 Are they any good and
    >
    > 2 Can these connect to the net
    >
    > Cheers

    They are good.

    Check our review of PiN Pocket PC here:

    That specific model can connect to the Internet, but not in a practical way.
    On that model you can connect to the Internet using ActiveSync Passthrough,
    i.e. when your Pocket PC is connected to your PC it will automaticall have
    access to the Interne. Another option is using Infrared via a mobile phone
    (GPRS or CDMA).

    The Pocket PC itself have no wireless LAN or GPRS or CDMA capabilities. If
    you need this, then the best option is to get a Pocket PC from one of the
    operators and purchase the Navman map from a retail store (DSE has got
    them).

    --
    Mauricio Freitas
    www.geekzone.co.nz
    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Nov 30, 2005
  4. Phil

    Phil Guest

    "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    > "Phil" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi can anyone tell me if
    >>
    >> 1 Are they any good and
    >>
    >> 2 Can these connect to the net
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>

    > They are good.
    >
    > Check our review of PiN Pocket PC here:
    > http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=3973
    >
    > That specific model can connect to the Internet, but not in a practical
    > way. On that model you can connect to the Internet using ActiveSync
    > Passthrough, i.e. when your Pocket PC is connected to your PC it will
    > automaticall have access to the Interne. Another option is using Infrared
    > via a mobile phone (GPRS or CDMA).
    >
    > The Pocket PC itself have no wireless LAN or GPRS or CDMA capabilities. If
    > you need this, then the best option is to get a Pocket PC from one of the
    > operators and purchase the Navman map from a retail store (DSE has got
    > them).
    >
    > --
    > Mauricio Freitas
    > www.geekzone.co.nz
    > Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices

    Hi thanks for that you have a great site and great info on the nav man . How
    long do you think the battery will last before it will not hold a charge any
    more?

    Being non replaceable dose that mean I have to chuck it away and buy a new
    one or would the warrenty cover that ?

    Cheers Phil
    Phil, Nov 30, 2005
  5. Phil

    -=rjh=- Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    > "Phil" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi can anyone tell me if
    >>
    >>1 Are they any good and
    >>
    >>2 Can these connect to the net
    >>
    >>Cheers
    >>

    > Navman don't include gyroscopic / vehicle speed sensing technology - this is
    > only good for cars though, and means that the sat nav can still guess pretty
    > much where you are even when the sat signal is lost.
    >
    > Other than that , i don't know if those are any good (and the fact a navman
    > product took some australians via a 4wd track when they wanted to drive from
    > chch to nelson.

    And they were complaining about it! They got to drive on one of the most
    interesting "roads" in NZ, and made it all the way safely, and they
    still weren't happy. Sheesh.
    -=rjh=-, Nov 30, 2005
  6. Phil

    Philip Guest

    Phil wrote:
    > Hi can anyone tell me if
    >
    > 1 Are they any good and
    >
    > 2 Can these connect to the net
    >
    > Cheers

    My experience of Navman is that it's a clever product, but be prepared
    for the most paranoid authentification procedures if you ever want to
    install a different map.

    On my in-car model IN635, the acquisition, for a stonking $400, of
    Australian maps led to a downward spiral of paranoia, with Navman's
    website refusing to talk to my computer until I disabled the firewall
    and turned off my virus protection, and even then it wouldn't install.
    It took a one hour call to the help desk to go through a repetitive
    procedure that their own tech support agreed was beyond all reasonable
    belief.

    Incidentally, the map of New Zealand is out of date and at one point on
    SH 1 from Northland to Auckland tells me to take a right turn off the
    highway and into a farm track, which it never mentions again. There are
    no street numbers in the index, which is poorly organised - try finding
    a place in Great South Road, Auckland, if you don't know the name of the
    district the place is in.

    Oh yeah, and the Australian map is pretty shoddy: I have family in Taree
    and Redhead Beach NSW. Navman couldn't find a subdivision more than five
    years old in Redhead Beach, and had no record at all of Taree, a town of
    some 20 000 people that's been there for more than 150 years.

    A brilliant idea, but crap execution. Less time spent on paranoid copy
    protection and more time spent on getting the maps right would pay
    dividends.

    My recommendation: if there's a choice, do NOT buy any Navman product.

    As a final gesture, the plug to connect the Navman to the car power
    socket fell apart and left a part of itself inside the rental car power
    socket in such a way that I couldn't get it out. For which I will no
    doubt be charged by the rental company...

    Philip

    $2200 poorer and deeply disappointed.
    (the one they had in "The Prisoner" tv series back in the 1960s seemed
    to work better...)
    Philip, Nov 30, 2005
  7. Phil

    JohnO Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    > "Phil" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi can anyone tell me if
    > >
    > > 1 Are they any good and
    > >
    > > 2 Can these connect to the net
    > >
    > > Cheers
    > >

    > Navman don't include gyroscopic / vehicle speed sensing technology - this is
    > only good for cars though, and means that the sat nav can still guess pretty
    > much where you are even when the sat signal is lost.
    >
    > Other than that , i don't know if those are any good (and the fact a navman
    > product took some australians via a 4wd track when they wanted to drive from
    > chch to nelson.

    That's because some twat changed the nav mode from quickest route to
    shortest route.
    JohnO, Nov 30, 2005
  8. Phil

    JohnO Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    > "Phil" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi can anyone tell me if
    > >
    > > 1 Are they any good and
    > >
    > > 2 Can these connect to the net
    > >
    > > Cheers
    > >

    > Navman don't include gyroscopic / vehicle speed sensing technology - this is
    > only good for cars though, and means that the sat nav can still guess pretty
    > much where you are even when the sat signal is lost.

    What products do have this feature?

    JohnO, Nov 30, 2005
  9. "JohnO" <> wrote in message

    > news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    >> "Phil" <> wrote in message
    >> > Hi can anyone tell me if
    >> >
    >> > 1 Are they any good and
    >> >
    >> > 2 Can these connect to the net
    >> >
    >> > Cheers
    >> >

    >> Navman don't include gyroscopic / vehicle speed sensing technology - this
    >> is
    >> only good for cars though, and means that the sat nav can still guess
    >> pretty
    >> much where you are even when the sat signal is lost.

    > What products do have this feature?
    >

    >> Other than that , i don't know if those are any good (and the fact a
    >> navman
    >> product took some australians via a 4wd track when they wanted to drive
    >> from
    >> chch to nelson.

    well, the car i rented in the US had this...it was a hertz branded product,
    but not sure about the actual manufacturer. I think this is more common for
    units designed for permanent car installation.

    Also, apparently the factory sat nav for ford territories here in nz has
    this too - but, i didn't trust the salesperson they spout so much shit to
    sell you something.
    news.xtra.co.nz, Nov 30, 2005
  10. "Philip" <> wrote in message
    > Phil wrote:
    >> Hi can anyone tell me if
    >>
    >> 1 Are they any good and
    >>
    >> 2 Can these connect to the net
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>

    > My experience of Navman is that it's a clever product, but be prepared for
    > the most paranoid authentification procedures if you ever want to install
    > a different map.
    >
    > On my in-car model IN635, the acquisition, for a stonking $400, of
    > Australian maps led to a downward spiral of paranoia, with Navman's
    > website refusing to talk to my computer until I disabled the firewall and
    > turned off my virus protection, and even then it wouldn't install. It took
    > a one hour call to the help desk to go through a repetitive procedure that
    > their own tech support agreed was beyond all reasonable belief.
    >
    > Incidentally, the map of New Zealand is out of date and at one point on SH
    > 1 from Northland to Auckland tells me to take a right turn off the highway
    > and into a farm track, which it never mentions again. There are no street
    > numbers in the index, which is poorly organised - try finding a place in
    > Great South Road, Auckland, if you don't know the name of the district the
    > place is in.
    >
    > Oh yeah, and the Australian map is pretty shoddy: I have family in Taree
    > and Redhead Beach NSW. Navman couldn't find a subdivision more than five
    > years old in Redhead Beach, and had no record at all of Taree, a town of
    > some 20 000 people that's been there for more than 150 years.
    >
    > A brilliant idea, but crap execution. Less time spent on paranoid copy
    > protection and more time spent on getting the maps right would pay
    > dividends.
    >
    > My recommendation: if there's a choice, do NOT buy any Navman product.
    >
    > As a final gesture, the plug to connect the Navman to the car power socket
    > fell apart and left a part of itself inside the rental car power socket in
    > such a way that I couldn't get it out. For which I will no doubt be
    > charged by the rental company...
    >
    > Philip
    >
    > $2200 poorer and deeply disappointed.
    > (the one they had in "The Prisoner" tv series back in the 1960s seemed to
    > work better...)

    Not good - some company is making a sat nav unit which displays a heads up
    display directly onto the windscreen. Now, this is cool.
    news.xtra.co.nz, Nov 30, 2005
  11. "news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote in message

    > "Phil" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi can anyone tell me if
    >>
    >> 1 Are they any good and
    >>
    >> 2 Can these connect to the net
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>

    > Navman don't include gyroscopic / vehicle speed sensing technology - this
    > is only good for cars though, and means that the sat nav can still guess
    > pretty much where you are even when the sat signal is lost.
    >
    > Other than that , i don't know if those are any good (and the fact a
    > navman product took some australians via a 4wd track when they wanted to
    > drive from chch to nelson.

    That apparently was because the settings on the device were changed to
    "Avoid highways".

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Nov 30, 2005
  12. "Phil" <> wrote in message

    > "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    >> "Phil" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi can anyone tell me if
    >>>
    >>> 1 Are they any good and
    >>>
    >>> 2 Can these connect to the net
    >>>
    >>> Cheers
    >>>

    >> They are good.
    >>
    >> Check our review of PiN Pocket PC here:
    >> http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=3973
    >>
    >> That specific model can connect to the Internet, but not in a practical
    >> way. On that model you can connect to the Internet using ActiveSync
    >> Passthrough, i.e. when your Pocket PC is connected to your PC it will
    >> automaticall have access to the Interne. Another option is using Infrared
    >> via a mobile phone (GPRS or CDMA).
    >>
    >> The Pocket PC itself have no wireless LAN or GPRS or CDMA capabilities.
    >> If you need this, then the best option is to get a Pocket PC from one of
    >> the operators and purchase the Navman map from a retail store (DSE has
    >> got them).
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mauricio Freitas
    >> www.geekzone.co.nz
    >> Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices
    >>

    > Hi thanks for that you have a great site and great info on the nav man .
    > How long do you think the battery will last before it will not hold a
    > charge any more?
    >
    > Being non replaceable dose that mean I have to chuck it away and buy a new
    > one or would the warrenty cover that ?

    These batteries last some time, but I recommend asking Navman what is the
    cover if you need them replaced.

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Nov 30, 2005
  13. "Philip" <> wrote in message
    > Phil wrote:
    >> Hi can anyone tell me if
    >>
    >> 1 Are they any good and
    >>
    >> 2 Can these connect to the net
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>

    > My experience of Navman is that it's a clever product, but be prepared for
    > the most paranoid authentification procedures if you ever want to install
    > a different map.
    >
    > On my in-car model IN635, the acquisition, for a stonking $400, of
    > Australian maps led to a downward spiral of paranoia, with Navman's
    > website refusing to talk to my computer until I disabled the firewall and
    > turned off my virus protection, and even then it wouldn't install. It took
    > a one hour call to the help desk to go through a repetitive procedure that
    > their own tech support agreed was beyond all reasonable belief.
    >
    > Incidentally, the map of New Zealand is out of date and at one point on SH
    > 1 from Northland to Auckland tells me to take a right turn off the highway
    > and into a farm track, which it never mentions again. There are no street
    > numbers in the index, which is poorly organised - try finding a place in
    > Great South Road, Auckland, if you don't know the name of the district the
    > place is in.
    >
    > Oh yeah, and the Australian map is pretty shoddy: I have family in Taree
    > and Redhead Beach NSW. Navman couldn't find a subdivision more than five
    > years old in Redhead Beach, and had no record at all of Taree, a town of
    > some 20 000 people that's been there for more than 150 years.
    >
    > A brilliant idea, but crap execution. Less time spent on paranoid copy
    > protection and more time spent on getting the maps right would pay
    > dividends.

    They do update their maps and release some updates - but the main thing is,
    theirs is the only product available around. Unless you are happy with
    installing some software on your PC or Pocket PC and then manually
    configuring maps from scanned images.

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Nov 30, 2005
  14. Phil

    Richard Guest

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:

    > They do update their maps and release some updates - but the main thing is,
    > theirs is the only product available around. Unless you are happy with
    > installing some software on your PC or Pocket PC and then manually
    > configuring maps from scanned images.

    I tried using tumonz for navigation once. Gave up when it told me to turn right
    from newton road onto the northwestern citybound, theres no onramp there. Plus
    it didnt have realtime re-calculation of the route etc. Navman seem to have the
    upper hand in nz since tomtom dont do maps here when I last looked
    Richard, Nov 30, 2005
  15. Phil

    JohnO Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
    >
    > > They do update their maps and release some updates - but the main thing is,
    > > theirs is the only product available around. Unless you are happy with
    > > installing some software on your PC or Pocket PC and then manually
    > > configuring maps from scanned images.

    > I tried using tumonz for navigation once. Gave up when it told me to turn right
    > from newton road onto the northwestern citybound, theres no onramp there. Plus
    > it didnt have realtime re-calculation of the route etc. Navman seem to have the
    > upper hand in nz since tomtom dont do maps here when I last looked

    No, but they have set up in Australia so maybe it might happen.

    I used TomTom Navigator2 around the UK and it was very very impressive.
    However it did once direct me across a hayfield - must have been a road
    that never got built!
    JohnO, Nov 30, 2005