NAV Crash

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by John Schutkeker, Jul 15, 2007.

  1. Why does NAV's Live Update operation keep crashing under XP Pro?

    John Schutkeker, Jul 15, 2007

  2. John Schutkeker wrote:
    > Why does NAV's Live Update operation keep crashing under XP Pro?

    Either:

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 15, 2007

  3. John Schutkeker

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "John Schutkeker" <> wrote in message

    > Why does NAV's Live Update operation keep crashing under XP Pro?

    It's been that way with Norton on a good day. Norton's Live Update is always
    subject to toasting Norton by itself on the machine. That's why I dumped
    Norton and went to NOD32 back in 2000.

    However, I have been reading good things about Norton 360 in the Vista
    NG(s), maybe there is a XP version.

    Mr. Arnold, Jul 15, 2007
  4. Rôgêr <> wrote in

    > John Schutkeker wrote:
    >> Why does NAV's Live Update operation keep crashing under XP Pro?

    > Either:
    > A> Your computer is infected and the virus won't allow updates

    It happens too often for this. I reboot, do the update by hand, which
    works fine, and then everything is ok for several days, until the next
    crash.

    > B> Norton has gotten corrupted

    I's been happening every week (or so) for about two years now, and in
    that time, I've reinstalled it twice, without effect. It's gotta be a
    known bug or a known incompatibility with something else on my machine.

    > C> Norton is crap anyway, you should change AVs

    Norton is no crappier than the competition.

    John Schutkeker, Jul 15, 2007
  5. "Mr. Arnold" <MR. > wrote in news:uNvmi.8561$zA4.5834
    @newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

    > Norton's Live Update is always
    > subject to toasting Norton by itself on the machine.

    I can't parse this sentence.

    John Schutkeker, Jul 15, 2007
  6. John Schutkeker

    > "Mr. Arnold" <MR. > wrote in news:uNvmi.8561$zA4.5834
    > @newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:
    >
    >> Norton's Live Update is always
    >> subject to toasting Norton by itself on the machine.

    > I can't parse this sentence.

    It means that the Norton Live Update can destroy Norton on the machine by
    itself, which I had it do it on more than a few occasions that forced me to
    reinstall Norton. The problems with Norton's Live Update lead to me getting
    rid of Norton.

    I went to NOD32 and never had another problem in the area of the solution
    updating and destroying itself, like I had with Norton.

    Mr. Arnold, Jul 15, 2007
  7. John Schutkeker

    ded Guest

    "John Schutkeker" <> wrote in message

    > Why does NAV's Live Update operation keep crashing under XP Pro?

    You supply no info.
    What version?
    Have you tried the Symantec (Norton) support site -
    http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/support/index.jsp

    Have you checked out compatibility issues, known problems and fixes
    in the MS Knowledge base, just one example, XP pro on a Pentium III
    with Roxio easy CD creator - Norton crumbles, so one needs the fixes
    in SP1 and SP1a, plenty more in the KB, read here:
    http://tinyurl.com/2yvh7w

    ded, Jul 15, 2007
  8. John Schutkeker wrote:

    > I's been happening every week (or so) for about two years now,

    Hmmm, what is that old saw? "Once bitten, twice shy."

    After being bitten about 104 times, aren't you ready to give up and get
    some good software?

    Go here:
    <http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039>

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 15, 2007
  9. John Schutkeker

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:Xns996E8665BCD8Dlkajehoriuasldfjknak@207.115.33.102 John
    Schutkeker <> wrote:

    > Why does NAV's Live Update operation keep crashing under XP Pro?

    The fact that you refer to it as "NAV" might mean something.

    Symantec bought NAV a long time ago, and it's been called "Symantec
    AntiVirus" for some time, so maybe it's forgotten how to talk to your
    antique product.

    I've been using NAV/SAV for years, since it's the product of choice of
    my employer and I get it for free. I've had other sorts of problems with
    from time to time, but nothing like what you're describing.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

    Bert Hyman, Jul 15, 2007
  10. John Schutkeker wrote:
    > Rôgêr <> wrote in

    >>C> Norton is crap anyway, you should change AVs

    > Norton is no crappier than the competition.

    That is one of the mostest wrongest statements I've seen posted in a
    while. Hey, it ain't me that can't keep my AV working and I wouldn't
    wish Norton on an enemy, at least not most of them.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 16, 2007
  11. "Mr. Arnold" <MR. > wrote in

    > "John Schutkeker" <> wrote in message
    >> "Mr. Arnold" <MR. > wrote in
    >> news:uNvmi.8561$zA4.5834 @newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:
    >>
    >>> Norton's Live Update is always
    >>> subject to toasting Norton by itself on the machine.

    >> I can't parse this sentence.

    > It means that the Norton Live Update can destroy Norton on the machine
    > by itself, which I had it do it on more than a few occasions that
    > forced me to reinstall Norton. The problems with Norton's Live Update
    > lead to me getting rid of Norton.
    >
    > I went to NOD32 and never had another problem in the area of the
    > solution updating and destroying itself, like I had with Norton.

    Thanks for the info. I went to the Norton site and ripped them a new
    one.

    John Schutkeker, Jul 16, 2007
  12. John Schutkeker

    Kraftee Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:
    > John Schutkeker wrote:
    >> Rôgêr <> wrote in

    >> Norton is no crappier than the competition.

    > That is one of the mostest wrongest statements I've seen posted in a
    > while. Hey, it ain't me that can't keep my AV working and I wouldn't
    > wish Norton on an enemy, at least not most of them.

    I've got to admit I've had less problems with NAV than any of the
    others If tried. In fact Zonealarm has given me more problems in th
    few months I tried it than I have ever had wit Nortons...

    (Now watch it crash & burn, I must remember to stop saying such things
    ;-0 )

    Kraftee, Jul 16, 2007
  13. John Schutkeker

    Fred Kasner Guest

    Bert Hyman wrote:
    > In news:Xns996E8665BCD8Dlkajehoriuasldfjknak@207.115.33.102 John
    > Schutkeker <> wrote:
    >
    >> Why does NAV's Live Update operation keep crashing under XP Pro?

    > The fact that you refer to it as "NAV" might mean something.
    >
    > Symantec bought NAV a long time ago, and it's been called "Symantec
    > AntiVirus" for some time, so maybe it's forgotten how to talk to your
    > antique product.
    >
    > I've been using NAV/SAV for years, since it's the product of choice of
    > my employer and I get it for free. I've had other sorts of problems with
    > from time to time, but nothing like what you're describing.

    I've had some problems in the past with NAV. Problems with installation
    of a new version and other annoyances. It is generally very hard to get
    all the pieces of Symantec's stuff out of your computer when you need to
    for an update. However my last trouble with NAV (actually Norton
    Internet Scurity) was a "doozy". It suddenly stopped allowing access to
    the updating of signatures of virii. All sorts of attempts to correct
    his failed. Finally I was driven to removing the program and
    reinstalling it. This failed to get the darn thing to work for several
    repeats. Finally I got it to work sort of. But after the next startup
    (the day following) it not only would not work but it wouldn't load
    completely. And to make it even more fun after forcing the partly loaded
    file to close down (not easy for that either) I could not get the
    computer to close down. This has happened several times. Had to use the
    startup button (six or eight second press) to close the computer.
    Sometimes after that it would not only load properly but would also
    allow other programs that had not loaded at bootup to finish loading as
    well. The last load allowed what appears to be a safe install since
    nothing has refused to run and I was able to do a complete scan followed
    by a restart of the computer. But who knows what will happen tomorrow on
    boot up? I have about 170 days left on the subscription. This may very
    well be my last sub as I can't get any satisfaction from their support.
    They, of course, never provide you with a telephone number to call (as
    they did back in the days when NAV was a separate company.) Trying to
    get any satisfaction via an internet connection has always proved fruitless.
    FK

    Fred Kasner, Jul 16, 2007
  14. John Schutkeker

    Fred Kasner Guest

    Kraftee wrote:
    > Rôgêr wrote:
    >> John Schutkeker wrote:
    >>> Rôgêr <> wrote in
    >>>
    >>> Norton is no crappier than the competition.

    >> That is one of the mostest wrongest statements I've seen posted in a
    >> while. Hey, it ain't me that can't keep my AV working and I wouldn't
    >> wish Norton on an enemy, at least not most of them.

    > I've got to admit I've had less problems with NAV than any of the
    > others If tried. In fact Zonealarm has given me more problems in th
    > few months I tried it than I have ever had wit Nortons...
    >
    > (Now watch it crash & burn, I must remember to stop saying such things
    > ;-0 )

    Funny, but that is one of the things I have had almost no problem with
    for many years. Although you have to be a bit tricky to install it if
    you run Webroot's Spysweeper. I usually turn off all other software
    firewalls and leave the firewall of the router (hardware) and ZA's
    firewall working.
    FK

    Fred Kasner, Jul 16, 2007
  15. John Schutkeker

    Plato Guest

    John Schutkeker wrote:

    > Why does NAV's Live Update operation keep crashing under XP Pro?

    Remove NAV ASAP. Use a better anti-virus program.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jul 16, 2007
  16. John Schutkeker

    Mark Dykstra Guest

    All the furry creatures in 24hoursupport.helpdesk gathered 'round and
    watched as John Schutkeker said...

    > Norton is no crappier than the competition.

    You obviously haven't tried all of them. You should take a look at
    Grisoft's AVG. Do a google search for; grisoft avg free

    It's free and uses low system resources. It's also very successful in
    finding those nasty little virii.

    Good luck!
    Mark
    --
    The Source For Premium Newsgroup Access
    Great Speed, Great Retention

    Mark Dykstra, Jul 17, 2007
  17. John Schutkeker

    Plato Guest

    http://free.grisoft.com/

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jul 17, 2007
  18. Mark Dykstra <> wrote in news:MPG.2105d1e3a73cd332989683
    @news.newsgroupdirect.com:

    > All the furry creatures in 24hoursupport.helpdesk gathered 'round and
    > watched as John Schutkeker said...
    >>
    >> Norton is no crappier than the competition.
    >>

    > You should take a look at
    > Grisoft's AVG. Do a google search for; grisoft avg free
    >
    > It's free and uses low system resources. It's also very successful in
    > finding those nasty little virii.

    > You obviously haven't tried all of them.

    Nor do in intend to, because trial and error is a dumb way to approach a
    difficult problem. For a task this hard, I'd prefer to pay actual money
    to hire the large staff of a fortune 500 company, thank you. The
    stupidity of the concept of a freeware AV just makes me laugh my guts
    out.

    Viruses mutate every second of every day, and attheir slowest, NAV
    releases new updates every 7 - 10 days. How often does your
    "Gruntware" do that?

    Never? Gee, who coulda possibly guessed such an obvious answer?

    John Schutkeker, Jul 18, 2007
  19. Fred Kasner <> wrote in

    > Bert Hyman wrote:
    >> In news:Xns996E8665BCD8Dlkajehoriuasldfjknak@207.115.33.102 John
    >> Schutkeker <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Why does NAV's Live Update operation keep crashing under XP Pro?

    >> The fact that you refer to it as "NAV" might mean something.
    >>
    >> Symantec bought NAV a long time ago, and it's been called "Symantec
    >> AntiVirus" for some time, so maybe it's forgotten how to talk to your
    >> antique product.
    >>
    >> I've been using NAV/SAV for years, since it's the product of choice
    >> of my employer and I get it for free. I've had other sorts of
    >> problems with from time to time, but nothing like what you're
    >> describing.
    >>

    > I've had some problems in the past with NAV. Problems with
    > installation of a new version and other annoyances. It is generally
    > very hard to get all the pieces of Symantec's stuff out of your
    > computer when you need to for an update. However my last trouble with
    > NAV (actually Norton Internet Scurity) was a "doozy". It suddenly
    > stopped allowing access to the updating of signatures of virii. All
    > sorts of attempts to correct his failed. Finally I was driven to
    > removing the program and reinstalling it. This failed to get the darn
    > thing to work for several repeats. Finally I got it to work sort of.
    > But after the next startup (the day following) it not only would not
    > work but it wouldn't load completely. And to make it even more fun
    > after forcing the partly loaded file to close down (not easy for that
    > either) I could not get the computer to close down. This has happened
    > several times. Had to use the startup button (six or eight second
    > press) to close the computer. Sometimes after that it would not only
    > load properly but would also allow other programs that had not loaded
    > at bootup to finish loading as well. The last load allowed what
    > appears to be a safe install since nothing has refused to run and I
    > was able to do a complete scan followed by a restart of the computer.
    > But who knows what will happen tomorrow on boot up? I have about 170
    > days left on the subscription. This may very well be my last sub as I
    > can't get any satisfaction from their support. They, of course, never
    > provide you with a telephone number to call (as they did back in the
    > days when NAV was a separate company.) Trying to get any satisfaction
    > via an internet connection has always proved fruitless. FK

    It sounds like you need to rebuild your entire system, which means that
    you first need to backup all the files you want to keep. I suppose you
    could leave the door open to doing a second system rebuild, by not
    reformatting the hdd in the first rebuild. A non-reformat rebuild is
    still such an extreme recovery that it has a very workmanlike chance of
    actually fixing your problem. But of course, the only rebuild that 100%
    reliable is one that comes with a reformat.

    I haven't had a headache like that for months, but I've learned to
    accept the fact that, when it happens, it's a long, tedious process, and
    can involve doing the same long, tedious step over and over, several
    times, just to change one stupid variable in step one.

    If I ever get so disgusted with NAV that I decide to dump them
    completely, I'll go to MacAfee first and then F-Prot second. The
    freeware AV's that peoplem sell are a joke, and they make me wonder if
    they're put out there by the virus writers, to trick people into
    thinking they have a working AV, while actually leaving their system
    almost completely open to attack.

    They're all crooks. ;(

    John Schutkeker, Jul 18, 2007
  20. John Schutkeker

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    > It sounds like you need to rebuild your entire system, which means that
    > you first need to backup all the files you want to keep. I suppose you
    > could leave the door open to doing a second system rebuild, by not
    > reformatting the hdd in the first rebuild. A non-reformat rebuild is
    > still such an extreme recovery that it has a very workmanlike chance of
    > actually fixing your problem. But of course, the only rebuild that 100%
    > reliable is one that comes with a reformat.

    The poster needs to dump Norton. Norton is the problem.

    And if the machine has been badly compormised, then these are the reasons to
    just wipe the machine out flatten the HD.

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/secmgmt/sm0504.mspx

    > I haven't had a headache like that for months, but I've learned to
    > accept the fact that, when it happens, it's a long, tedious process, and
    > can involve doing the same long, tedious step over and over, several
    > times, just to change one stupid variable in step one.

    Was this headache a Norton headache or was the machine just totally
    compomised by malware that was causing the headaches?

    > If I ever get so disgusted with NAV that I decide to dump them
    > completely, I'll go to MacAfee first and then F-Prot second. The
    > freeware AV's that peoplem sell are a joke, and they make me wonder if
    > they're put out there by the virus writers, to trick people into
    > thinking they have a working AV, while actually leaving their system
    > almost completely open to attack.

    There is nothing wrong with free solutions, like AVG and others. They are
    well maintained solutions. That's like saying that OpenSouce solutions,
    which are free solutions are no good, because they are free and that's not
    the case.

    Mr. Arnold, Jul 18, 2007