    Charlie
    Charlie Chapman
    NOTE: Remove "NOSPAM" to respond via Email
    Charlie Chapman, Oct 19, 2003

  2. Charlie Chapman

    Frode Guest

    Frode, Oct 19, 2003

  3. Charlie Chapman

    sponge Guest

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 14:59:44 -0700, Charlie Chapman
    <> wrote:

    >I'm debating whether to purchase the upgrade to NAV 2004 ($30 +

    shipping) or just purchase
    >a new subscription for my 2003 version ($20, no shipping). I checked

    the web site and do
    >not see a great many added features for the 2004 version. Any

    thoughts on added value in
    >2004 over 2003?
    >Thanks
    >Charlie
    >Charlie Chapman
    >NOTE: Remove "NOSPAM" to respond via Email

    Unfortunately, I've had to say this a few times today, but you'd be
    better off with McAfee or, even better, Kaspersky's, which is one of
    the best. NAV is very lacking in many respects: It seems to miss a lot
    of RATs, for one. They were also supposed to add in spyware detection,
    but if they did they don't seem to compare to free stuff like SpyBot
    or Ad-Aware -- at least I haven't heard anything about it.
    Also, a lot of people are dumping it because they are really irked by
    the DRM scheme Symantec is using now, which some say is even more
    invasive than the one Intuit packaged along with Turbo Tax.

    Sponge
    Sponge's Secure Solutions
    www.geocities.com/yosponge
    My new email: yosponge2 att yahoo dott com
    sponge, Oct 22, 2003
  4. Charlie Chapman

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    [snip]
    > Unfortunately, I've had to say this a few times today, but you'd be
    > better off with McAfee or, even better, Kaspersky's, which is one of
    > the best. NAV is very lacking in many respects: It seems to miss a lot
    > of RATs, for one. They were also supposed to add in spyware detection,

    NAV is a great product, even the 2004 version. If you want spyware
    detection, which is something that is not a virus, then you should be
    using something else.

    A antivirus application should protect you from virus applications, and
    NAV does that better than any product I've used in 10 years.

    As for spyware and such - SpyBot Search and Destroy works great for it's
    intended target and it a very easy to use product.

    I do not like NIS or their other products, but NAV is great.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)
    Leythos, Oct 22, 2003
  5. Charlie Chapman

    Gus Guest

    sponge wrote:
    > On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 14:59:44 -0700, Charlie Chapman
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>I'm debating whether to purchase the upgrade to NAV 2004 ($30 +

    > shipping) or just purchase
    >
    >>a new subscription for my 2003 version ($20, no shipping). I checked

    > the web site and do
    >
    >>not see a great many added features for the 2004 version. Any

    > thoughts on added value in
    >
    >>2004 over 2003?
    >>Thanks
    >>Charlie
    >>******************************************************
    >>Charlie Chapman
    >>NOTE: Remove "NOSPAM" to respond via Email

    > Unfortunately, I've had to say this a few times today, but you'd be
    > better off with McAfee or, even better, Kaspersky's, which is one of
    > the best. NAV is very lacking in many respects: It seems to miss a lot
    > of RATs, for one.

    "RAT"?
    Gus, Oct 22, 2003
  6. Charlie Chapman

    Virus Guest

    "Leythos" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > [snip]
    > > Unfortunately, I've had to say this a few times today, but you'd be
    > > better off with McAfee or, even better, Kaspersky's, which is one of
    > > the best. NAV is very lacking in many respects: It seems to miss a lot
    > > of RATs, for one. They were also supposed to add in spyware detection,

    > NAV is a great product, even the 2004 version. If you want spyware
    > detection, which is something that is not a virus, then you should be
    > using something else.

    nav2004 pro contains spyware detection.. and protections from trojans, joke
    programs...
    it's not great programm, it's just solid, it uses too much of system
    resources, cpu and memory, even on stronger computers

    my suggestion is nod32 + some firewall (Sygate or Outpost or something like
    these), spybot and adaware

    I personally use NOD32 and Sygate, never had to use adaware and spybot, they
    found nothing on my system,
    on work i use sophos antivirus and no firewall (did not had any problems so
    far.. :)), but sophos is little complicated to update on network

    Virus, Oct 22, 2003