    My question is, how do i do this in Native mode, essentially, i want
    all my blades to be in the same /22, is it as simple as applying an ip
    for each int?

    Adam Landas, Feb 17, 2005

  2. Adam Landas

    Merv Guest

    > My question is, how do i do this in Native mode, essentially, i want
    > all my blades to be in the same /22, is it as simple as applying an

    ip
    > for each int?

    say you want to make all the port on module 3,4 and 5 to be in a
    particular VLAN nnn:

    interface range fast 3/1 - 48
    switchport
    switchport access vlan nnn
    switchport mode access
    no cdp enable
    spanning-tree portfast
    exit

    interface range fast 4/1 - 48
    switchport
    switchport access vlan nnn
    switchport mode access
    no cdp enable
    spanning-tree portfast
    exit

    interface range fast 5/1 - 48
    switchport
    switchport access vlan nnn
    switchport mode access
    no cdp enable
    spanning-tree portfast
    exit

    Merv, Feb 17, 2005

  3. Adam Landas

    Adam Landas Guest

    Yea, i tried that, but IOS came back and said "Interface is not a
    switchport"

    Adam Landas, Feb 17, 2005
  4. Adam Landas

    Jeff C Guest

    That's what the first line (after the 'int range') is telling
    it. "switchport" all by itself should be what you are missing.
    As for the other commands you can eliminate a few by using
    the 'switchport host' command (combines "..mode access" and
    "spanning-tree portfast" and possibly one more but I forget).

    -Jeff

    Adam Landas < > wrote in

    Jeff C, Feb 17, 2005
  5. Adam Landas

    Adam Landas Guest

    Brain fart on my part i guess. I hadn't put it into switchport mode.
    Why would one prefer Native mode over Hybrid. Configuration wise, is
    one more powerfull then the other? I'm used to hybrid when it comes to
    Catalyst 6500's, that's why i ask.

    Adam Landas, Feb 17, 2005
  6. Adam Landas

    Merv Guest

    Merv, Feb 17, 2005
  7. Adam Landas

    Merv Guest

    > Why would one prefer Native mode over Hybrid. Configuration wise, is
    > one more powerfull then the other?

    there are numerous advantages
    .. simplified configs
    .. show cdp nei - will show the physical neighbours verus if you do
    that on an MSFC you just see the switch that it is on
    .. routed interfaces

    Merv, Feb 17, 2005
  8. Hello, Merv!
    You wrote on 17 Feb 2005 12:16:40 -0800:

    ??>> Why would one prefer Native mode over Hybrid. Configuration
    ??>> wise, is one more powerfull then the other?

    M> there are numerous advantages
    M> . show cdp nei - will show the physical neighbours verus if you do
    M> that on an MSFC you just see the switch that it is on
    M> . routed interfaces

    And how that's different from show cdp nei on supervisor when in Hybrid mode?

    With best regards,
    Andrey.

    Andrey Tarasov, Feb 17, 2005
  9. Adam Landas

    Hansang Bae Guest

    Merv wrote:
    > there are numerous advantages
    > . simplified configs
    > . show cdp nei - will show the physical neighbours verus if you do
    > that on an MSFC you just see the switch that it is on
    > . routed interfaces

    None of which really matters if you think about it. Bottom line, CatOS
    came from Crescendo and IOS is Cisco native. It makes sense for Cisco
    to consolidate it.

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Feb 18, 2005
  10. One advantage I can think of is that you can issue a timed reload, then do a
    configuration change, and if you screwed up at least you know the device
    will auto-reload and restore the old configuration. But you cant do that
    with CatOS (instant change), at least to the best of my knowledge..

    Having said that, I personally prefer separating the switching portion
    (CatOS) from the routing portion (IOS), it's easier to do show run and get a
    smaller listing as compared to having to do a show run on a native switch
    e.g. Cat6509 with lots of modules - one ends up with pages and pages of
    configuration, when we are looking only for one section.

    woon

    news.individual.de, Feb 23, 2005
  11. Adam Landas

    Hansang Bae Guest

    news.individual.de wrote:

    > One advantage I can think of is that you can issue a timed reload,
    > then do a configuration change, and if you screwed up at least you
    > know the device will auto-reload and restore the old configuration.
    > But you cant do that with CatOS (instant change), at least to the
    > best of my knowledge..

    "reload in XX" wasn't always available! In this regard, Juniper's
    JunOS is light years ahead. As it should I guess since they didn't
    have the legacy baggage. As the saying goes, God created the heavens
    and earth in 7 days because he didn't have an install base to deal with!

    > Having said that, I personally prefer separating the switching
    > portion (CatOS) from the routing portion (IOS), it's easier to do
    > show run and get a smaller listing as compared to having to do a show
    > run on a native switch e.g. Cat6509 with lots of modules - one ends
    > up with pages and pages of configuration, when we are looking only
    > for one section.

    That's why I love Ultraedit. They just added code folding (albeit a
    bit immature) and I can collapse all crypto and interface configs in
    one fell swoop!

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Feb 23, 2005
  12. Hello, news.individual.de!
    You wrote on Wed, 23 Feb 2005 12:48:37 +0800:

    nid> Having said that, I personally prefer separating the switching
    nid> portion (CatOS) from the routing portion (IOS), it's easier to
    nid> do show run and get a smaller listing as compared to having to
    nid> do a show run on a native switch e.g. Cat6509 with lots of
    nid> modules - one ends up with pages and pages of configuration,
    nid> when we are looking only for one section.

    Than it's time to look into IOS CLI commands again.

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...on_guide_chapter09186a00800ca731.html#1002025

    All these show <something> | begin/include/exclude regexp make wonders.

    With best regards,
    Andrey.

    Andrey Tarasov, Feb 23, 2005
  13. Adam Landas

    Woon Guest

    Knew someone would bring this up :) I'm familiar with the extensions to the
    show command, but bear in mind it only takes up one modifier i.e. either
    begin, include, exclude, and not a combination. Sure you can use patterns,
    but when you're in the heat of troubleshooting the last thing you want to do
    is to think of a suitable pattern to for the show command.. of course you
    can set an alias for those common ones, . ..my point was just that it made
    it clearer to separate the switching portion, and the routing portion..

    regards
    woon

    Woon, Feb 23, 2005
  14. Hello, Woon!
    You wrote on Wed, 23 Feb 2005 14:26:29 +0800:

    W> Knew someone would bring this up :) I'm familiar with the
    W> extensions to the show command, but bear in mind it only takes up
    W> one modifier i.e. either begin, include, exclude, and not a
    W> combination.

    So? CatOS doesn't have even that. How about set trunk / clear trunk in CatOS?
    Pure pain in a butt to check which VLANs are allowed and which are not.

    W> Sure you can use patterns, but when you're in the heat of troubleshooting
    W> the last thing you want to do is to think of a suitable pattern to for the
    W> show command..

    So we went from skipping port related portion in show run output to
    troubleshooting? I don't think CatOS will shine in this area :)

    W> of course you can set an alias for those common ones, . ..my point was just
    W> that it made it clearer to separate the switching portion, and the routing
    W> portion..

    Few years ago - may be. Right now with all IOS based switches out there it's
    much easier to have the same looking configs, no matter if it's 3550, 3560,
    3750, 4500 or 6500.
    My only grief about Native IOS is that port type is included in interface ID.
    Would be a little bit easier if Cisco call all of them just "ethernet".

    On the other hand with all limitations of CatOS in terms of support for service
    modules, lack of distributed switching and 50% performance hit with central
    switching it's very easy to decide now between Hybrid and Native IOS.

    With best regards,
    Andrey.

    Andrey Tarasov, Feb 23, 2005
  15. Adam Landas

    Woon Guest

    I wont argue with you further on this, to me it's just a matter of
    familiarity with the systems, and style. I wasn't really arguing which one's
    better, just that both have good and bad points, and which one I liked. But
    perhaps I'm biased, since I come from using the old Cat5500 with RSM camp,
    to 6500+MSFC. Heh. sFor a more detailed comparison of native and hybrid,
    check this out:
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_white_paper09186a00800c8441.shtml .
    It's really quite informative..

    BTW is there really a 50% performance drop with using hybrid? Would be good
    if you can provide me with some info on that..

    Woon, Feb 23, 2005
  16. Hello, Woon!
    You wrote on Wed, 23 Feb 2005 15:34:28 +0800:

    W> But perhaps I'm biased, since I come from using
    W> the old Cat5500 with RSM camp, to 6500+MSFC.

    Well, I still have a few 5500 and a couple RSM sitting in the closet and waiting
    to be traded in :)

    W> Heh. sFor a more detailed comparison of native and hybrid, check this out:

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_white_paper09186a00800c8441.shtml .
    W> It's really quite informative..

    And outdated as usual. It doesn't say a word about SSO for example. HA was
    another big reason to run Hybrid but not anymore.

    W> BTW is there really a 50% performance drop with using hybrid?
    W> Would be good if you can provide me with some info on that..

    Don't have a link. Speaker at RST-4501 at Networkers'04 mentioned that Hybrid
    can only do 15 Mpps when in Native Sup 2 / Sup 720 can go to 30 Mpps.

    With best regards,
    Andrey.

    Andrey Tarasov, Feb 23, 2005
  17. In article <cvh9fv$je8$>, Andrey Tarasov <> wrote:
    :Few years ago - may be. Right now with all IOS based switches out there it's
    :much easier to have the same looking configs, no matter if it's 3550, 3560,
    :3750, 4500 or 6500.

    Gah. I was hoping the 3750's vlan representation (binary file, configuration
    doesn't show up with "show run" or "write net") was a one-off mistake.

    Next you'll be telling me that Cisco has started to add parameters that
    can only be set in the GUI and not from the CLI...
    --
    Live it up, rip it up, why so lazy?
    Give it out, dish it out, let's go crazy, yeah!

    Walter Roberson, Feb 23, 2005
  18. Hello, Walter!
    You wrote on 23 Feb 2005 15:13:41 GMT:

    WR> Gah. I was hoping the 3750's vlan representation (binary file,
    WR> configuration doesn't show up with "show run" or "write net") was
    WR> a one-off mistake.

    Walter, if you choose to use VLAN database config mode, it's not a Cisco fault
    :) Nobody prevents you from configuring VLANs in global config. I just went and
    checked nearby 3750. Here is a portion of show runn -

    !
    vlan 4
    name Clients
    !
    vlan 10
    name Test
    !

    With best regards,
    Andrey.

    Andrey Tarasov, Feb 23, 2005
  19. In article <cvie1l$1t80$>,
    Andrey Tarasov <> wrote:
    >:) Nobody prevents you from configuring VLANs in global config.

    :vlan 4
    : name Clients
    :!

    Notice the lack of information about which ports are in vlan4.
    On the 3750, you can't configure that in global config: you have to
    go into the vlan database editor.
    --
    What is "The Ultimate Meme"? Would it, like Monty Python's
    "The World's Funniest Joke", lead to the deaths of everyone who

    Walter Roberson, Feb 23, 2005
  20. Adam Landas

    Steinar Haug Guest

    [Walter Roberson]

    | Notice the lack of information about which ports are in vlan4.
    | On the 3750, you can't configure that in global config: you have to
    | go into the vlan database editor.

    Sure you can config it in the global config. Works just great with VTP
    transparent, which is the only thing we use (having had way too many
    bad experiences with VTP client/server).

    Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting,

    Steinar Haug, Feb 23, 2005