Native 64 mode for antivirus

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?S3JvbXVsaXM=?=, Jul 19, 2005.

  1. I tried NOD32 and Avast and both run in 32 bit mode. Is there an antivirus
    that runs in native 64 bit mode?
    =?Utf-8?B?S3JvbXVsaXM=?=, Jul 19, 2005

  2. eTrust 7.1 90-day trial:
    you can download a 90 day trial
    http://www.digitalriver.com/v2.0-img/operations/ca/site/promo/etrust_promotion.html

    By the way, why do you need it to run specifically as a native 64-bit app if
    its doing its job?

    Also:
    There are several, I belive ClamWin, Avast, Symantec and McAfee have all
    released 64 bit versions along with some others. Computer Associates also
    has a native x64 version of eTrust. There will be more along soon from
    Company's such as Trend Micro and PC Cillin.

    Here are some recommendations:
    Symantec
    http://enterprisesecurity.symantec.com/products/products.cfm?ProductID=155

    Note: The x64 client that ships with AV Corp10 and it will not update it's
    signatures from the parent server, it has to use Live Update which I won't
    work through proxyservers.
    Avast

    The free one from Avast:

    Update: ESET the company made famous for it's multi-award winning Anti-Virus
    software NOD32 has advised WinBeta.Org that the beta of it's 64Bit
    Anti-Virus product is now available for download.

    NOD32 has risen to prominence over the last 7 years given that according to
    Virus Bulletin it has not missed a single in-the-wild virus since its
    release.
    http://www.winbeta.org/comments.php?id=3054&catid=1
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 19, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?S3JvbXVsaXM=?=

    M. Murcek Guest

    I'm using it and will probably buy a license when the 90 day trial winds up.

    M. Murcek, Jul 19, 2005
  4. Its that good huh? :)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 19, 2005
  5. I purchased the boxed edition and its doing fine.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 19, 2005
  6. As a followup, although a product key appears on the back of the cd sleeve,
    if you install as a client only you will not be asked for the key and you
    will think that there must be some way to enter it post-install. I never
    found any way and it seemed to me something was wrong. I checked with CA
    and it turns out that the software does not need the key on a standalone
    workstation. The About screen will show "License: Client."

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 19, 2005
  7. Would you say its way better than Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition?

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 20, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?S3JvbXVsaXM=?=

    M. Murcek Guest

    Can't say, because I've never used the Symantec Corporate Edition. Like more
    and more folks seem to be doing all the time, I swore off Symantec products
    because of the devastation I hane seen them cause to a system when an
    install or upgrade fails. Symantec stuff seems to think it has to be
    totally intertwined with the system to function. Programs like Avast! and
    F-Prot show that needn't be the case. What the CA eTrust 90 day trial did
    for me was clear up the hang on shutdown problem that Avast! seems to cause
    on some systems. I think I can afford $30 to stay virus-free.

    M. Murcek, Jul 20, 2005
  9. I would have opted for EZTrust if it ran on x64. I only went with the
    corporate edition out of necessity. I am impressed with it so far.

    I have to agree that the drawback about Symantec is having to go all over
    the system and pick out pieces of the program and registry entries when
    something like LiveUpdate goes south. To be sure, Symantec's documentation
    is very precise and their online health check (of your program) is useful.
    But it should not have to be so hard to maintain a utility. I have
    uninstalled and reinstalled Windows is less time than it takes to deal with
    a failed Symantec uninstall. Ugh!!!

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 20, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?S3JvbXVsaXM=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Too true. I have wasted many hours with both McAfee and Symantec products
    getting them off a system when they go south. My last one developed script
    errors on every panel they show, so nothing worked including the uninstall.

    John Barnes, Jul 20, 2005
  11. Ouch! I have had one so thorny that I settled for a reinstallation of
    Windows. If I am going to install a Symantec product on a new machine, I do
    so very soon after Windows installation to cut down on possible conflicts.
    (Ditto for MSN, btw).

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 20, 2005
  12. My gosh, its really a stinker for you guys huh?

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 20, 2005
  13. It's just that if something goes wrong it goes REALLY wrong and there are a
    lot of system twiddling steps involved in fixing it when the automated
    repair tools fail. It is one of the most complex packages I have seen,
    considering the tasks it is supposed to perform.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 20, 2005
  14. I just use the client anyway, no biggie.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 20, 2005
  15. Just so that you guys know Eset now has a Nod32 64bit beta version, i'm
    running it and absolutely love it.
    http://www.esetsoftware.com/download/downbeta.htm

    That is the link to the 64bit beta download, know also that it is currently
    free along with all of the updates.

    Chris Streeter, Jul 25, 2005
  16. Thanks. There are many posts here about the beta working (I have used it
    myself), but better too many posts than too few.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 26, 2005