National Lotter Site ...

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Gareth J Dykes, Jan 26, 2005.

  1. Gareth J Dykes, Jan 26, 2005

  2. Gareth J Dykes wrote:
    > displays Home Page in Firefox but doesn't allow signin:-(
    > http://www.national-lottery.co.uk/player/p/home/home.do
    >
    > Gareth

    Outdated browser sniffing script. When I spoofed my UA as IE6, I got
    right in.

    Write the web designer, tell him his page actually works in Firefox, and
    that he needs to update his browser sniffing script to accomodate the
    ever increasing number of Firefox users.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Jan 26, 2005

  3. Gareth J Dykes

    Guest

    Spoofing

    I keep seeing refrences to "spoofing", ie, making Firefox look like it's
    IE to a site.
    I have the IEView plugin, but if there's a way to have Firefox render the
    page by spoofing, I'd like to learn how.
    TIA.

    , Jan 27, 2005
  4. Gareth J Dykes

    Tony Raven Guest

    Re: Spoofing

    wrote:
    > I keep seeing refrences to "spoofing", ie, making Firefox look like it's
    > IE to a site.
    > I have the IEView plugin, but if there's a way to have Firefox render the
    > page by spoofing, I'd like to learn how.
    > TIA.

    Look for an extension called User Agent Switcher which will do the job

    Tony

    Tony Raven, Jan 27, 2005
  5. Re: Spoofing

    wrote:
    > I keep seeing refrences to "spoofing", ie, making Firefox look like it's
    > IE to a site.
    > I have the IEView plugin, but if there's a way to have Firefox render the
    > page by spoofing, I'd like to learn how.
    > TIA.

    Preferences Toolbar will switch the UA for you, as will the suggestion
    off UASwitcher. If you don't do it often, you could do it manually from
    about:config:

    general.useragent.override

    To set it IE. change the value to:

    Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)

    Note, this won't work with every problem site, only where an outdated
    browser sniffing script doesn't know enough to look for Mozilla.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Jan 27, 2005
  6. Gareth J Dykes

    Tony Raven Guest

    Re: Spoofing

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I keep seeing refrences to "spoofing", ie, making Firefox look
    >> like it's
    >> IE to a site.
    >> I have the IEView plugin, but if there's a way to have Firefox
    >> render the
    >> page by spoofing, I'd like to learn how.
    >> TIA.

    > Preferences Toolbar will switch the UA for you, as will the suggestion
    > off UASwitcher. If you don't do it often, you could do it manually from
    > about:config:
    >
    > general.useragent.override
    >
    > To set it IE. change the value to:
    >
    > Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)
    >
    > Note, this won't work with every problem site, only where an outdated
    > browser sniffing script doesn't know enough to look for Mozilla.
    >
    > Lee

    The problem with that advice is I only spoof where I need to otherwise
    you up the IE count in the browser statistics. Its only when people see
    how widespread FF is becoming that they are likely to change. Therefore
    it does not help to be permanently spoofing as IE.

    Tony

    Tony Raven, Jan 27, 2005
  7. Re: Spoofing

    Tony Raven wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I keep seeing refrences to "spoofing", ie, making Firefox look
    >>> like it's
    >>> IE to a site.
    >>> I have the IEView plugin, but if there's a way to have Firefox
    >>> render the
    >>> page by spoofing, I'd like to learn how.
    >>> TIA.

    >> Preferences Toolbar will switch the UA for you, as will the suggestion
    >> off UASwitcher. If you don't do it often, you could do it manually
    >> from about:config:
    >>
    >> general.useragent.override
    >>
    >> To set it IE. change the value to:
    >>
    >> Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)
    >>
    >> Note, this won't work with every problem site, only where an outdated
    >> browser sniffing script doesn't know enough to look for Mozilla.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > The problem with that advice is I only spoof where I need to otherwise
    > you up the IE count in the browser statistics. Its only when people see
    > how widespread FF is becoming that they are likely to change. Therefore
    > it does not help to be permanently spoofing as IE.
    >
    > Tony

    I agree completely, and its probably the big reason Opera is so
    underreported. I suggest using UA spoofing as a test to see if a page
    will actually work in Moz. Then I suggest writing the web designer in
    question, suggesting an update of the browser sniffing script.

    The advantage of the current version of Prefbar, is that the UA switches
    itself back to the real UA when the program is closed, in case the sue
    does forget that he spoofed.

    I would never recommend leaving the UA spoofed. If you do, you'll get
    java startup errors when you open the program again.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Jan 27, 2005