NAT/Virtual IP's

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Paul, Nov 3, 2003.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Hi,

    here is the scenario, and I am hoping someone can help me with the
    logic.

    We have two different ISP's that are going to feed into a 2620XM
    router with two WIC's.

    I have them configured on the WIC side, but i'm curious to know what I
    should configure the fast ethernet port to for an IP address.

    Traditionally we plugged the ISP directly into the firewall, and set
    the firewall up as the managed IP address that we would get from the
    ISP.

    But now we're going to plug both isp's into a router at the same
    time.. what do we set as the ip address?? can the fast ethernet port
    have two addresses?

    Correct me if my logic is wrong, but if we can setup two virtual IP
    addresses on the firewall (which it can do) then we can at least ping
    both from outside the firewall.. How does it go from the router into
    the firewall??

    Any help is appreciated.

    Paul

    Paul, Nov 3, 2003

  2. Paul

    Geert Nijs Guest

    1) to configure more than one ip adress on an interface, use secondary
    command:
    ip address <ipa> <mask>
    ip address <ipb> <maskb> secondary

    2) You can setup two virtual ip adresses on the firewall, but are you sure
    that these ip adresses
    don't have to be in the same subnet ?

    3) Anyway, i don't see the point in having two ISPs connected to one router
    with one uplink
    to a firewall. You are going to have routing problems, since you can only
    use one ISP as default route...........

    Geert

    Geert Nijs, Nov 4, 2003