    Does any router work as a hardware firewall? If not, what router label do I
    look for to ensure the router I get will act as a firewall.

    Seems I've heard of NAT routers. Is this one of the firewall routers?

    RB, Apr 7, 2004

  2. In article <OmNcc.3838$>,
    says...
    > Does any router work as a hardware firewall? If not, what router label do I
    > look for to ensure the router I get will act as a firewall.
    >
    > Seems I've heard of NAT routers. Is this one of the firewall routers?

    NAT isn't a 100% true firewall. Using "hardware" and "software" to
    explain firewalls is rather simplistic. See, a Firewall-1 firewall
    appliance is software, running on hardware :), so is a linksys NAT
    router (which claims "firewall" ability). A home computer running a copy
    of Tiny Personal Firewall is generally known as a software firewall, but
    more correctly defined as a personal firewall. If you look at a Visio
    Diagram of most large networks, a "firewall" isn't ran on the web
    server, personal machines, etc., it's ran "in front of" the entire
    network or network segment. This the proper implementation.

    It's generally accepted in the security community for a firewall to not
    only do NAT, but also Stateful Packet Inspection, packet filtering, etc.

    So, to answer your question, you should probably look for not only NAT,
    but also stateful packet inspection and/or packet filtering.

    If you're doing this and you don't monitor your filter's report log,
    you're pissing in the wind... there's no security without vigilance.
    Same holds true for personal firewall users, if you don't look at the
    logs on a regular basis, what exactly do you think you're accomplishing?
    If you look at the logs and don't understand and/or you don't take the
    time to learn what it is you're looking at, what exactly do you think
    you're doing with the firewall? Do you really have any idea what the
    firewall is doing for you? Or most importantly, do you have any clue
    when something is going wrong?

    --
    Colonel Flagg
    http://www.internetwarzone.org/

    Privacy at a click:
    http://www.cotse.net

    A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

    "...I see stupid people."

    Colonel Flagg, Apr 7, 2004

  3. Colonel Flagg wrote:
    > In article <OmNcc.3838$>,
    > says...
    >
    >>Does any router work as a hardware firewall? If not, what router label do I
    >>look for to ensure the router I get will act as a firewall.
    >>
    >>Seems I've heard of NAT routers. Is this one of the firewall routers?

    Big long post about firewalls.

    Or in other words, a NAT router means that anybody attacking your IP
    address will find themselves attacking the NAT router rather than your
    computer.

    And yes, that is way too basic a statement to be accurate. But that's
    basicly what a NAT router does. A hardware firewall can do more to
    control outgoing internet traffic. A software firewall on your computer
    can control what programs can access the network/internet.

    --
    Richard Kirkcaldy

    Richard Kirkcaldy, Apr 7, 2004
  4. RB

    tecn1k Guest

    A router is a hardware device for routing, it doens't offer any security
    as a stand alone device. NAT, is also nothing to do with security,
    though some people think it helps. You shouldn't rely on it. It depends
    on what kinda router you're after. If its just for home cable/dsl I'd
    try and fine one with NAT and a built in firewall, my Nokia has a
    Stateful Inspection firewall.. Which does limit some services, but
    offers good protection.

    tecn1k, Apr 13, 2004
  5. RB

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 17:55:19 +1200, tecn1k <> wrote:

    >A router is a hardware device for routing, it doens't offer any security
    > as a stand alone device. NAT, is also nothing to do with security,

    On the contrary, NAT does effectivly block incoming access to your
    network, so it is a most useful security feature.

    All the cheap routers I've seen have it available.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Apr 13, 2004
  6. RB

    Leythos Guest

    In article <ehLec.13593$d%>,
    says...
    > A router is a hardware device for routing, it doens't offer any security
    > as a stand alone device. NAT, is also nothing to do with security,
    > though some people think it helps. You shouldn't rely on it. It depends
    > on what kinda router you're after. If its just for home cable/dsl I'd
    > try and fine one with NAT and a built in firewall, my Nokia has a
    > Stateful Inspection firewall.. Which does limit some services, but
    > offers good protection.

    Actually, Routers with NAT offer quite a bit of protection against
    every-day attacks from outside your internal network.

    Anyone that has one is immune to many of the inbound attacks that easily
    compromise machines. While a NAT router should not be considered a
    firewall, it has a great ability (due to the nature of these SOHO NAT
    rules) to block all uninvited inbound access).

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    Leythos, Apr 13, 2004