NAT/PAT cannot route from internal

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Paul, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Paul

Paul Guest

I host a webserver on my internal network. I use a PAT configuration set up on my Cisco 851 Router. It port forwards
    HTTP traffic through the public interface to a webserver in my internal network. All HTTP connections from the
    Internet get NAT'd to the webserver work perfectly.

Problem: When I try to navigate to the web site from a workstation on the internal network (192.168.1.101) I get a page
    cannot be displayed error.

This seemed to work fine with my Linksys router previously but not Cisco.I think this is some NAT configuration issue.

I want connections from the internal network to behave the same way as users connectiing from the
    Internet? And yes, I understand that I can use DNS but that is not an option this case. I want the router to NAT
    connections the same way whether they are coming from the Internet or my internal network.

Is there a CLI command that can facilitate this? I know it used to work with my NetGear router.

Any assistance appreciated!

--Paul
    Paul, Mar 13, 2008
    1. Advertising

2. Paul

Chad Mahoney Guest

Paul wrote:
    > I host a webserver on my internal network. I use a PAT configuration set up on my Cisco 851 Router. It port forwards
    > HTTP traffic through the public interface to a webserver in my internal network. All HTTP connections from the
    > Internet get NAT'd to the webserver work perfectly.
    >
    > Problem: When I try to navigate to the web site from a workstation on the internal network (192.168.1.101) I get a page
    > cannot be displayed error.
    >
    > This seemed to work fine with my Linksys router previously but not Cisco.I think this is some NAT configuration issue.
    >
    > I want connections from the internal network to behave the same way as users connectiing from the
    > Internet? And yes, I understand that I can use DNS but that is not an option this case. I want the router to NAT
    > connections the same way whether they are coming from the Internet or my internal network.
    >
    > Is there a CLI command that can facilitate this? I know it used to work with my NetGear router.
    >
    > Any assistance appreciated!
    >
    > --Paul

In the PIX/ASA world you can use DNS doctoring.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_configuration_example09186a00807968c8.shtml
    Chad Mahoney, Mar 13, 2008
    1. Advertising

3. Paul

Paul Guest

Unfortunately, I don't have that option. But the article does a nice job of explaining the problem. Thanks.

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 13:33:15 -0400, Chad Mahoney <> wrote:

>Paul wrote:
    >> I host a webserver on my internal network. I use a PAT configuration set up on my Cisco 851 Router. It port forwards
    >> HTTP traffic through the public interface to a webserver in my internal network. All HTTP connections from the
    >> Internet get NAT'd to the webserver work perfectly.
    >>
    >> Problem: When I try to navigate to the web site from a workstation on the internal network (192.168.1.101) I get a page
    >> cannot be displayed error.
    >>
    >> This seemed to work fine with my Linksys router previously but not Cisco.I think this is some NAT configuration issue.
    >>
    >> I want connections from the internal network to behave the same way as users connectiing from the
    >> Internet? And yes, I understand that I can use DNS but that is not an option this case. I want the router to NAT
    >> connections the same way whether they are coming from the Internet or my internal network.
    >>
    >> Is there a CLI command that can facilitate this? I know it used to work with my NetGear router.
    >>
    >> Any assistance appreciated!
    >>
    >> --Paul

>
    >In the PIX/ASA world you can use DNS doctoring.
    >
    >http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_configuration_example09186a00807968c8.shtml
    Paul, Mar 13, 2008
  4. Paul

Zakkas

If your DNS is setup correctly you should be able to go to the website name and DNS will resolve accorddingly for internal/external connections.
    Zakkas, Mar 14, 2008
    1. Advertising