NAT and ISA question

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by K.J. 44, Aug 31, 2006.

  1. K.J. 44

    K.J. 44 Guest

    Hi,

    I am not sure if I should put this question on this board or the ISA
    board so I am going to put it on both.

    I am running a router connected to a firewall connected to a single
    server running Windows Server 2003, Exchange, and ISA. I want to use
    ISA as another layer of defense so the server is multihomed. the Lan
    is connected to one NIC and the other NIC is connected to the firewall.

    My question is this. No matter what traffic is sent, whether it is
    from the server or a PC on the other side of the server, it will have a
    source address of the NIC connected to the firewall right? because ISA
    is a proxy, it makes all requests on behalf of the clients? Therefore,
    having a static NAT translation to pass information to Exchange doesn't
    make sense because all traffic will have the same source IP when it
    gets to the firewall.

    Is this correct and will this be a problem? I have a third NIC on my
    server and another port on my firewall, would it be better to hook this
    up and assign this IP address as that of the MX record, forcing all LAN
    traffic to go through the first NIC and all mail traffic to go through
    this second NIC?

    Thanks.
    K.J. 44, Aug 31, 2006