    what can I do

    regards,
    William
    william en manon scheffer, Jan 7, 2005

  2. william en manon scheffer

    Old Gringo Guest

    william en manon scheffer wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > I hope that somebody can help me I receive pop up's
    > from several types where I didn't ask for
    > i always close them but they keep coming back
    > also there is a dial connection in my internet connections
    > I also removed this several times but this doesn't work also
    > what can I do
    >
    > regards,
    > William

    Go to Google.com and type in the words popup blocker and take your pick.

    --
    Old Gringo George

    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    Old Gringo, Jan 7, 2005

  3. william en manon scheffer

    Brian Guest

    "william en manon scheffer" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Hello
    >
    > I hope that somebody can help me I receive pop up's
    > from several types where I didn't ask for
    > i always close them but they keep coming back
    > also there is a dial connection in my internet connections
    > I also removed this several times but this doesn't work also
    > what can I do
    >
    > regards,
    > William

    and also:

    google for free spyware/adware/malware detection and removal tools.
    downlaod, update, scan and have em clean your system. (there are loads i.e
    hijack this cwshredder etc)

    and

    dialer removal/warners (also loads)
    Brian, Jan 7, 2005
  4. william en manon scheffer

    Rob K Guest

    On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 17:48:55 +0100, william en manon scheffer wrote:
    <snip>
    > what can I do

    Got a minute ?

    It seems your system is infected with all kinds of nasties.
    And now, you're attracting spam - your post contains a valid e-mail
    address. Read all about it here (page is old, the info is good)

    1) Make sure your system is virus-free.
    2) Install and run Spybot Search and Destroy
    3) Install and run AdAware.

    These programs are easily found using Google.
    Post back if the problem persists.

    --
    My E-mail address in ROT-13:
    Rob K, Jan 7, 2005
  5. william en manon scheffer

    Richard Guest

    On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 17:48:55 +0100 william en manon scheffer wrote:

    > Hello

    > I hope that somebody can help me I receive pop up's
    > from several types where I didn't ask for
    > i always close them but they keep coming back
    > also there is a dial connection in my internet connections
    > I also removed this several times but this doesn't work also
    > what can I do

    > regards,
    > William

    Do you have "instant messenger" running?
    That's generally the cause of repeating popups.
    As I do not use the program, you may be able to find a way to stop them in
    the options/preferences section.
    If you do not use the IM program, try using firefox instead.
    The popup blocker in firefox is much more reliable.
    Richard, Jan 7, 2005
  6. william en manon scheffer

    Hammerer Guest

    "william en manon scheffer" <> wrote in message

    > Hello

    Hello!

    > I hope that somebody can help me I receive pop up's
    > from several types where I didn't ask for
    > i always close them but they keep coming back
    > also there is a dial connection in my internet connections
    > I also removed this several times but this doesn't work also
    > what can I do

    Get OFF the internet. NOW!
    Hammerer, Jan 7, 2005
  7. william en manon scheffer

    Chuck Guest

    <*email_address_deleted*> wrote:

    >Hello
    >
    >I hope that somebody can help me I receive pop up's
    >from several types where I didn't ask for
    >i always close them but they keep coming back
    >also there is a dial connection in my internet connections
    >I also removed this several times but this doesn't work also
    >what can I do
    >
    >regards,
    >William

    William,

    There are at least three varieties of pop-ups, and the solutions vary
    accordingly. Which specific type(s) are you seeing?

    I. "Messenger Service" Pop-Ups

    This will be a text only message, and will only hit you when you're online. A
    Messenger Service pop-up can't contain a clickable link. The window will be
    titled "Messenger Service".

    This type of spam has become quite common over the past year or so, and
    unintentionally serves as a valid security alert. It demonstrates that you
    haven't been taking sufficient precautions while connected to the Internet.
    Your data probably hasn't been compromised by these specific advertisements, but
    if you're open to this exploit, you most definitely open to other threats, such
    as the Blaster Worm that still haunts the Internet. Install and use a decent,
    properly configured firewall.

    Messenger Service of Windows
    <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;168893>

    Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement
    Appears
    <http://support.microsoft.com/?id=330904>

    <http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/communicate/stopspam.asp>

    If you're using AOL, you'll either need to find a 3rd party firewall that is
    compatible with AOL, or switch to a real ISP that is compatible with the real
    Internet. This is because AOL is an on-line content provider that ignores
    international networking standards in favor of its own proprietary products, and
    has deliberately made its connection software incompatible with both WinXP's
    built-in firewall and WinXP's Internet Connection Sharing feature. AOL's
    proprietary connection applet is deliberately designed to preclude your
    setting/adjusting any of its properties, to include enabling/disabling WinXP's
    ICF and ICS.

    Whichever firewall you decide upon, be sure to ensure UDP ports 135, 137, and
    138 and TCP ports 135, 139, and 445 are all blocked. You may also disable
    Inbound NetBIOS (NetBIOS over TCP/IP). You'll have to follow the instructions
    from firewall's manufacturer for the specific steps.

    You can test your firewall at:

    Gibson Research <http://grc.com/default.htm> (ShieldsUp!)
    SecurityMetrics <http://www.securitymetrics.com/portscan.adp>
    Sygate Security Scan <http://www.sygatetech.com/>
    Symantec Security Check <http://security.symantec.com/ssc/vr_main.asp>

    Be especially wary of people who advise you to do nothing more than disable the
    messenger service. Disabling the messenger service, by itself, is a "head in
    the sand" approach to computer security. The real problem is not the messenger
    service pop-ups; they're actually providing a useful, if annoying, service by
    acting as a security alert.

    II. Regular Browser Based Pop-Ups

    This will be an HTML message, and will only hit you when you're online. A
    browser based popup will probably contain clickable links. The window title
    will vary.

    Get the free Google Toolbar from <http://toolbar.google.com/>. Hosts file
    blocking works on this problem also.

    Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File
    <http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm>

    III. Adware / Spyware

    This will be an HTML message, and can hit you when you're online, or offline.
    An adware based popup will probably contain clickable links. The window title
    will vary.

    This is where you need a thorough adware / spyware scan, including CWShredder,
    AdAware, Spybot S&D, and HijackThis, with expert advice to interpret the
    HijackThis log.

    Start by downloading each of the following additional free tools:
    AdAware <http://www.lavasoftusa.com/>
    CWShredder <http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4086.html>
    HijackThis <http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=3155>
    LSP-Fix <http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm>
    WinsockXPFix <http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html>
    Spybot S&D <http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download>
    Stinger <http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=stinger>
    TrendMicro Engine <http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp>
    TrendMicro Signatures <http://www.trendmicro.com/download/pattern.asp>

    Create a separate folder for HijackThis, such as C:\HijackThis - copy the
    downloaded file there. Create a separate folder for the two TrendMicro files,
    such as C:\TrendMicro - copy the downloaded files there (unzipped if necessary).
    AdAware, CWShredder, and Spybot S&D have install routines - run them. The other
    downloaded programs can be copied into, and run from, any convenient folder.

    First, run Stinger. Have it remove any problems found.

    Next, close all Internet Explorer and Outlook windows, and run CWShredder. Have
    it fix all problems found.

    Next, disable System Restore.
    <http://vil.nai.com/vil/SystemHelpDocs/DisableSysRestore.htm>
    Boot your computer into Safe Mode.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=315222
    Run C:\TrendMicro\Sysclean.com. Delete any infectors found.
    Reboot your computer, and re enable System Restore.

    Next, run AdAware. First update it ("Check for updates now"), configure for
    full scan (<http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showtopic=11150>), then
    scan. When scanning finishes, remove all Critical Objects found.

    Next, run Spybot S&D. First update it ("Search for updates"), then run a scan
    ("Check for problems"). Trust Spybot, and delete everything ("Fix Problems")
    that is displayed in Red.

    Then, run HijackThis ("Scan"). Do NOT make any changes immediately. Save the
    HJT Log.
    <http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showtopic=227>
    <http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showtopic=11150>

    Finally, have your HJT log interpreted by experts at one or more of the
    following security forums (and please post a link to your forum posts, here):
    Aumha: <http://forum.aumha.org/index.php>
    Net-Integration: <http://forums.net-integration.net/>
    Spyware Info: <http://forums.spywareinfo.com/>
    Spyware Warrior: <http://spywarewarrior.com/index.php>
    Tom Coyote: <http://forums.tomcoyote.org/>

    If removal of any spyware affects your ability to access the internet (some
    spyware builds itself into the network software, and its removal may damage your
    network), run LSP-Fix and / or WinsockXPFIx.

    IV. Future Protection

    Finally, improve your chances for the future.

    Harden your browser. There are various websites which will check for
    vulnerabilities, here are three which I use.
    http://www.jasons-toolbox.com/BrowserSecurity/
    http://bcheck.scanit.be/bcheck/
    https://testzone.secunia.com/browser_checker/

    Block Internet Explorer ActiveX scripting from hostile websites (Restricted
    Zone).
    <https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/main.htm> (IE-SpyAd)

    Block known dangerous scripts from installing.
    <http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html>

    Block known spyware from installing.
    <http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html>

    Make sure that the spyware detection / protection products that you use are
    reliable:

    Harden your operating system. Check at least monthly for security updates.
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

    Block possibly dangerous websites with a Hosts file. Three Hosts file sources I
    use:
    http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/get_hosts.html
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    (The third is included, and updated, with Spybot (see above)).

    Maintain your Hosts file (merge / eliminate duplicate entries) with:
    eDexter <http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/get_hosts.html>
    Hostess <http://accs-net.com/hostess/>

    Secure your operating system, and applications. Don't use, or leave activated,
    any accounts with names or passwords with trivial (guessable) values. Don't use
    an account with administrative authority, except when you're intentionally doing
    administrative tasks.

    Use common sense. Yours. Don't install software based upon advice from unknown
    sources. Don't install free software, without researching it carefully. Don't
    open email unless you know who it's from, and how and why it was sent.

    Educate yourself. Know what the risks are. Stay informed. Read Usenet, and
    various web pages that discuss security problems. Check the logs from the other
    layers regularly, look for things that don't belong, and take action when
    necessary.

    And William, posting your email address openly will get you more unwanted email,
    than wanted email. Learn to munge your email address properly, to keep yourself
    a bit safer when posting to open forums. Protect yourself and the rest of the
    internet - read this article.
    http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck
    Chuck, Jan 7, 2005
  8. william en manon scheffer

    Wanderer Guest

    "william en manon scheffer" <> wrote:

    >Hello
    >
    >I hope that somebody can help me I receive pop up's
    >from several types where I didn't ask for
    >i always close them but they keep coming back
    >also there is a dial connection in my internet connections
    >I also removed this several times but this doesn't work also
    >what can I do
    >
    >regards,
    >William

    Chuck had the best advice (aside from turning off restore point... I
    found that doing so removes all previous restore points to my great
    aggravation being introduced to win XP).

    It's a hell'uva lot easier to reformat the system, all said and done.
    Back up your data, call it a day, and prepare better in the future by
    going through Chuck's notes.

    Set-up the system, Norton Ghost the drive while it's clean, and learn to
    protect the system better against future occurrances.

    Once the poppies are planted the disaster just grows. Don't do this
    unless you've got a system drivers disk and a windows disk. If you
    don't have both of the above, you're well and truly having a bad day.

    I've seen alot worse, and fixed them all.

    Wanderer, Jan 8, 2005
  9. william en manon scheffer

    Eli Aran Guest

    might i suggest two free programs to download install and use:
    the first is NoAds.
    it has a "blacklist" into which you add the names of the windows that are
    popup windows you want to eliminate.
    they will never come again unless you remove their names specificaly from
    the blocked list.
    note:take good care not to add windows with no name or with "-" as the only
    name because in the future all windows with similar names will automaticly
    shut (unless, of course, you remove those names from the blacklist.)
    other than that its a wonderful utility and i have been using it for a long
    time.

    the second is A Square.
    it a free antivirus that scans and also finds trojans dialers and a lot of
    malware types of fles.
    you only need to create an account at their site for free but the program is
    free and so are the updates.
    i personally managed to rescue many PC's of friends and neighbors with this
    program.
    did i mention it detects dialers?
    a must-have!update often!
    HTH