NAsty Message

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Quercus Robur, Mar 23, 2007.

  1. On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 09:30:39 -0500, Leythos wrote:

    > On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 09:23:59 -0500, Michael B. Trausch wrote:

    >>> All you really need is to secure the machine and install a firewall for
    >>> the internet connections that filters crap out of HTTP, HTTPS, SMTP, POP3,
    >>> FTP sessions and 99% of the Windows people will be free from trouble.
    >>>

    >> Software firewalls aren't that effective, particularly when they are
    >> running on the machine that they're designed to protect. If one must run
    >> Windows, all that is really needed is a little bit of thought and the three
    >> programs that I mentioned above. Most Windows users are sitting behind a
    >> NAT, which takes care of blocking incoming connections, and those that
    >> aren't behind a NAT, probably should be.

    > You misunderstood - I don't consider software solutions running on
    > non-dedicated servers to be firewalls. I was speaking of a firewall
    > appliance, although I could have better stated that.

    My bad. Sometimes, the vernacular usage of terms makes things hard to
    communicate about. :) It seems that most people that discuss firewalls
    today mean something like ZoneAlarm or the "firewall" in Windows XP SP2,
    which is really nothing but a stumbling block in the way of getting to the
    core of the system, and even sometimes such systems are helpful to
    crackers, as opposed to hindrances.

    Personally, I don't run any of the software that I mentioned above. Then
    again, I also do not use Windows, and I try to not use passwords when
    possible as authentication. For example, I can go anywhere on my own
    network that I want to go, so long as I provide a key. But I can't get
    into my accounts by password--nor would I really want to. Given the
    strength of today's computers, passwords are relatively trivial to crack.

    -- Mike

    Michael B. Trausch, Mar 25, 2007