NAS access problems.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Max Burke, Jan 8, 2010.

  1. Max Burke

    Max Burke Guest

    I have a small home network setup with two access problems I haven't
    been able to fix.

    I have 2 computers (identical hardware wise) running on the network, and
    NAS backup unit.

    Both computers are running XP Pro SP3 and are up to date with patches.

    The NAS unit has two 1TB hard drives running an imbedded version of Linux.

    The DCHP server is on the router, and assigns the internal IP's to the
    computers and NAS, I have also reserved the IP's for each computer and
    the NAS unit in the router so they always have the same IP.

    First problem:

    With PC 1 I can access both hard drives in the NAS unit using windows
    explorer without any problems at all, with no need to enter a user ID
    and password.

    With PC 2 I can access the second hard drive on the NAS unit without any
    problems or having to enter a user id or password.

    However with the first hard drive on the NAS unit I cant access it until
    I enter the user ID and password for PC 1, then I have full access to
    the first hard drive.

    The problem is that any scheduled/automated backups I try to run from PC
    2 to the first hard drive on the NAS unit are failing because the backup
    programmes get an access not permitted error, because no user ID or
    password has been entered first.

    The backup programmes I use have a setting to add NAS user ID's and
    passwords but even that fails.
    But if I manually logon to the NAS on PC 2 using the user ID and
    password just before the automated backups are due to run, they run as
    normal without any access denied problems.

    I have set up both computers to have access to both hard drives on the
    NAS using the NAS control software.

    Why does XP on PC 2 require the user ID and password for PC 1 to be
    entered before access to the first hard drive on the NAS be granted?

    I thought it may have been because PC 1 is usually the browser master on
    the network, but even when PC 2 is the browser master it still requires
    the PC 1 user ID and password to access the first hard drive on the NAS

    What am I missing here?

    Second problem:

    I run Windows Defender on both computers with a daily scan an hour apart.

    The Windows Defender scan on PC 1 completes normally.

    The Windows Defender scan on PC 2 also completes normally, however while
    it is running these log on failed message appear in the Security Event
    log of PC 1

    =========
    Event Type: Failure Audit
    Event Source: Security
    Event Category: Logon/Logoff
    Event ID: 529
    Date: 8/01/2010
    Time: 9:01:51 p.m.
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Computer: CRAY2009
    Logon Failure:
    Reason: Unknown user name or bad password
    User Name: CRAY2$
    Domain: WORKGROUP
    Logon Type: 3
    Logon Process: NtLmSsp
    Authentication Package: MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0
    Workstation Name: CRAY2

    This happens twenty times when the Windows Defender scan is running on PC 2.

    Why is Windows Defender on PC 2 trying to log on to PC 1 when it's
    running it's automated daily scan, and how do I stop it?

    Note that when I do a Windows Defender manual scan on PC 2 these failed
    log on errors dont show in the Security Event log for PC 1, in fact
    there is no log on attempts at all from Windows Defender on PC 2.

    --

    Found Images

    Max Burke, Jan 8, 2010