Napster Refuses to Support x64

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by eonnen@gmail.com, Nov 12, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Just thought I would relay my experience with Napster on XP Pro x64 to
    the list.

    I am doing this as a protest against Napster and as an addendum to Paul
    Thurrott's site that claims Napster "just works" on x64. Paul was
    correct when he wrote his article however subsequent upgrades have made
    Napster unworkable on a 64-bit OS.

    The bottom line: If you are an x64 user looking for a subscription
    service like Napster or Yahoo, choose Yahoo. At least it works on our
    platform and costs less. You will get *nothing* from Napster support no
    matter how hard you try and help.

    The story goes as follows:

    After installing their client software several months ago (I believe it
    was version 3.2 but I can't say for sure as they make you uninstall
    before upgrading), Napster was working fine on x64. I was happily
    downloading music and transferring to my Zen micro. Of course, the burn
    engine for burning to CDs didn't work but I fault HP more than Napster
    for that as they still haven't released drivers for a DVDr drive I
    bought a year ago.

    However, after upgrading to the latest version of the Napster client
    (3.5.x), the program now core dumps when starting. I suspect this is in
    the hardware detection as the error is an access violation and some of
    the strings in the stack trace involve probing of CD drives. Also, from
    my experience, I don't see how an access violation could be caused by
    anything but a user space programming error. I wonder if this access
    violation doesn't make Napster seceptable to a potential buffer
    overflow exploit, again, if it is reading memory beyond it's address
    space causing an access violation, that smells like trouble.

    So, my response to Napster was to explain everything to them in a nice,
    detailed email thought the support site. After no response for three
    days, I decided to call their 'help' line. The first rep I spoke with
    ran through the standard script to the letter simply trying to get me
    off the line. She had me run a scrip to uninstall their software that
    was poorly written to the point of hard coding full paths such as:

    rmdir /s /q "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\Dragon"

    Now, despite the fact that this is the wrong place to be looking for
    i32-bit installations on a 64-bit system, and despite the fact that
    this software doesn't exist in my 64-bit directory either, the rep
    still insisted that I run the script no matter how hard I pleaded with
    her.

    She then asked me to roll back my WMP installation to WMP9. Despite my
    pleas that there is no such thing on an x64 OS, she continued to claim
    I was doing something wrong. She then proceeded to tell me this was a
    Microsoft problem and that I needed to contact them. I tried to explain
    that *their* software was working in this environment for several
    months prior to the upgrade and that an access violation will be
    summarily dismissed by Microsoft after I pay my $20 for a support email
    (what's up with that BTW, $240 for an OS isn't enough for support?)

    Finally, she caved and offered to have a level 2 tech call me back. I
    was working from home for the day so, "Why not?" I thought.

    That call never came. I ended up calling Napster support again six days
    later and talking to someone a bit more competent. However, he
    ultimately placed the blame again on x64 saying they don't support that
    OS. Mind you, their site does not distinguish between XP and XP Pro
    x64, yet this was his only answer. So, the music and time I had
    invested in Napster are lost. The DRM on the music I bought through
    them will expire in a year and without the client it will not be
    renewed. If things were broke from the start, I would say fine. But,
    the software worked until the most recent upgrade and now I'm out the
    purchased songs.

    -erik

    , Nov 12, 2005

  2. To avoid being spammed do not use your email address in your "From" field.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 12, 2005

  3. John Barnes Guest

    Especially when the spam has a virus attached.

    John Barnes, Nov 12, 2005