    download in mp3 format or conver to mp3, though I'd rather not have to do that
    with every download. Thanks.

    , May 26, 2006

  2. john Guest

    said the following on 26/05/2006 05:13:
    > Seems to be the only place to post a question about Napster. I downloaded my
    > first song from Napster. Cost me all of .99. I wanted to see how it worked. The
    > song downloaded but it's in .wma format. I though the songs were in mp3 format.
    > So I can't play it with Winamp which is my player of choice. Is there a way to
    > download in mp3 format or conver to mp3, though I'd rather not have to do that
    > with every download. Thanks.

    Napster downloads are drm protected .wma files. No option to download as
    ..mp3.

    Burn the track(s) as an audio CD (use a CD/RW) then rip from there in
    mp3 format. Works a treat.

    Hope this helps

    John

    john, May 26, 2006

  3. dadiOH Guest

    wrote:
    > Seems to be the only place to post a question about Napster. I
    > downloaded my first song from Napster. Cost me all of .99. I wanted
    > to see how it worked. The song downloaded but it's in .wma format. I
    > though the songs were in mp3 format. So I can't play it with Winamp
    > which is my player of choice.

    Why not? Winamp has a built in wma decoder.

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, May 26, 2006
  4. Guest

    On Fri, 26 May 2006 13:13:42 GMT, "dadiOH" <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> Seems to be the only place to post a question about Napster. I
    >> downloaded my first song from Napster. Cost me all of .99. I wanted
    >> to see how it worked. The song downloaded but it's in .wma format. I
    >> though the songs were in mp3 format. So I can't play it with Winamp
    >> which is my player of choice.

    >Why not? Winamp has a built in wma decoder.

    I really don't know why not. I tried to play it with Winamp and it just didn't
    play.

    , May 26, 2006
  5. Guest

    On Fri, 26 May 2006 11:25:35 +0100, john <!!!@!!!.!!!> wrote:

    > said the following on 26/05/2006 05:13:
    >> Seems to be the only place to post a question about Napster. I downloaded my
    >> first song from Napster. Cost me all of .99. I wanted to see how it worked. The
    >> song downloaded but it's in .wma format. I though the songs were in mp3 format.
    >> So I can't play it with Winamp which is my player of choice. Is there a way to
    >> download in mp3 format or conver to mp3, though I'd rather not have to do that
    >> with every download. Thanks.
    >>

    >Napster downloads are drm protected .wma files. No option to download as
    >.mp3.
    >
    >Burn the track(s) as an audio CD (use a CD/RW) then rip from there in
    >mp3 format. Works a treat.
    >
    >Hope this helps
    >
    >John

    I don't understand that. I paid for the clip. In their FAQ's one of them is
    "What can I do with the clip I bought?" and the answer is basically anything
    since I bought and paid for it. So why would they protect it from being
    converted to an mp3 file? Just wondering out loud here. I don't transfer clips
    to an iPod or anything. I have all my music on my computer in mp3 format, which
    is why I downloaded the song, to keep on the system. Yes, I can burn to a CD,
    then rip it back with something like CDex, but why should I Have to take these
    extra steps? Doesn't seem right for something I paid for.

    , May 26, 2006
  6. Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    john spewed forth:
    > said the following on 26/05/2006 05:13:
    >> Seems to be the only place to post a question about Napster. I
    >> downloaded my first song from Napster. Cost me all of .99. I wanted
    >> to see how it worked. The song downloaded but it's in .wma format. I
    >> though the songs were in mp3 format. So I can't play it with Winamp
    >> which is my player of choice. Is there a way to download in mp3
    >> format or conver to mp3, though I'd rather not have to do that with
    >> every download. Thanks.

    > Napster downloads are drm protected .wma files. No option to download
    > as .mp3.
    >
    > Burn the track(s) as an audio CD (use a CD/RW) then rip from there in
    > mp3 format. Works a treat.

    If you don't mind the loss of sound quality. the WMA file is already a
    compressed format - to make it into CD audio, then rip it again doubles the
    damage...

    Toolman Tim, May 27, 2006