"Napoleon" by Abel Gance - does any version feature the snowball battle in Brienne?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by un fake di Alberto, Jun 22, 2005.

  1. I live in Italy but I remember finding (and helas not buying) numerous
    dvd versions of Gances's Napoleon when I was in NY in 2001.

    I then had the chance of watching (on film!) the longest version so far
    available of the film, painstakingly reconstructed by Kevin Brownlow,
    and was duly blown over by it.

    Now I'd need to use a sequence from an early scene from the movie: young
    Napoleon is being educated in Brienne and reveals his talent for
    military organization by directing a huge snowball fight amongst his
    young companions.

    I know this is one of the many scenes that are not featured in some of
    the versions available of the film. I'd appreciate any insight from
    anyone out there who actually owns a copy and can check if the scene is
    there or not - so that I can buy the completest version available on
    DVD. (The Brownlow version unfortunately is not on DVD due to questions
    of copyrights between him and Coppola)
    --
    UFV:Die Nibelungen/Cyrano e D'Artagnan/D'Artagnan e i tre moschettieri
    La vendetta della maschera di ferro/Brutti sporchi e cattivi(DVD)
    un fake di Alberto, Jun 22, 2005

  2. In article <1gykfny.1a8rw798n2362N%>,
    un fake di Alberto <> wrote:
    >I live in Italy but I remember finding (and helas not buying) numerous
    >dvd versions of Gances's Napoleon when I was in NY in 2001.
    >
    >I then had the chance of watching (on film!) the longest version so far
    >available of the film, painstakingly reconstructed by Kevin Brownlow,
    >and was duly blown over by it.

    >Now I'd need to use a sequence from an early scene from the movie: young
    >Napoleon is being educated in Brienne and reveals his talent for
    >military organization by directing a huge snowball fight amongst his
    >young companions.

    >I know this is one of the many scenes that are not featured in some of
    >the versions available of the film. I'd appreciate any insight from
    >anyone out there who actually owns a copy and can check if the scene is
    >there or not - so that I can buy the completest version available on
    >DVD. (The Brownlow version unfortunately is not on DVD due to questions
    >of copyrights between him and Coppola)

    The snowball fight is on the Coppola version DVD. I have it
    on a region 4 PAL release.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com
    Bill Vermillion, Jun 23, 2005

  3. Bill Vermillion <> wrote:

    > The snowball fight is on the Coppola version DVD. I have it
    > on a region 4 PAL release.

    Region 4? That should be available on ezydvd... Thanks!
    --
    UFV:Wise Girls(DVD)/Die Nibelungen/Cyrano e D'Artagnan
    D'Artagnan e i tre moschettieri/La vendetta della maschera
    un fake di Alberto, Jun 23, 2005
  4. In article <1gylpme.1ma7fec1cnqc3qN%>,
    un fake di Alberto <> wrote:
    >Bill Vermillion <> wrote:
    >
    >> The snowball fight is on the Coppola version DVD. I have it
    >> on a region 4 PAL release.

    >Region 4? That should be available on ezydvd... Thanks!

    Yup - that's where I got my copy a year or so ago. It's stil
    available as I checked before posting. I forgot to add that
    to the post. Sorry.

    Bill
    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com
    Bill Vermillion, Jun 23, 2005
  5. un fake di Alberto

    GMAN Guest

    In article <1gykfny.1a8rw798n2362N%>, lid (un fake di Alberto) wrote:
    >I live in Italy but I remember finding (and helas not buying) numerous
    >dvd versions of Gances's Napoleon when I was in NY in 2001.
    >
    >I then had the chance of watching (on film!) the longest version so far
    >available of the film, painstakingly reconstructed by Kevin Brownlow,
    >and was duly blown over by it.
    >
    >Now I'd need to use a sequence from an early scene from the movie: young
    >Napoleon is being educated in Brienne and reveals his talent for
    >military organization by directing a huge snowball fight amongst his
    >young companions.

    Didnt napolean get his ass kicked?

    GMAN, Jun 24, 2005
  6. Bill Vermillion <> wrote:

    > In article <1gylpme.1ma7fec1cnqc3qN%>,
    > un fake di Alberto <> wrote:
    > >Bill Vermillion <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> The snowball fight is on the Coppola version DVD. I have it
    > >> on a region 4 PAL release.

    > >Region 4? That should be available on ezydvd... Thanks!

    > Yup - that's where I got my copy a year or so ago. It's stil
    > available as I checked before posting. I forgot to add that
    > to the post. Sorry.

    Don't be, I have placed my order already. :)

    (Actually, I was trying NOT to buy it as I still have hopes for a future
    edition of the Brownlow version... but I need the snowball fight)
    un fake di Alberto, Jun 24, 2005
  7. GMAN <> wrote:

    > >Now I'd need to use a sequence from an early scene from the movie: young
    > >Napoleon is being educated in Brienne and reveals his talent for
    > >military organization by directing a huge snowball fight amongst his
    > >young companions.

    > Didnt napolean get his ass kicked?

    Eventually, yes, but Gance only filmed the first of the six or something
    films he was planning to do on the man. From what I remember, the
    snowball fight is Nap's first military triumph.

    (I just checked on a synopsis on Brownlow's book, and I can confirm...
    teacher Pichegru asks for the name of the winner, and Napoleon
    pronounces his name with a thick corsican accent - so that the teacher
    misunderstands it as Paille-au-nez. The other kids star laughing, but
    Nap shuts them all up with his glare. Then Pichegru goes: "Kid, you're
    going to go far. Remember Pichegru said this first").
    un fake di Alberto, Jun 24, 2005