Nanofilm Ultra Clarity on Canon lens

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Terry, Aug 25, 2004.

  1. Terry

    Terry Guest

    I have a question regarding cleaning a Canon lens. I have the G5 plus
    telephoto and wide angle lenses. Also Canon 10 X 30 IS binoculars. I
    wanted to know what is good to clean a fingerprint or water spot from a
    lens. Binoculars.com, a very reputable company, recommended Ultra Clarity
    by Nanofilm. (see www.nanofilm.com). I tried the stuff on the binocs & on
    the wide angle lens. Both times a streaky film formed on the lens which was
    difficult to get off. It looked like oil on water, but dried on. Canon
    suggested trying a droplet of water on a lens cloth (I use premium quality
    lens tissue) & that removed the film. I asked Canon if I might have ruined
    a lens coating. They replied that I should not worry about it if I do not
    notice a difference in picture quality, because there is no easy way to
    tell. I contacted Nanofilm who replied to me immediately. They are
    unfamiliar with the problem and wanted information about what type of
    coating Canon uses.

    Both the binoculars and camera seem to be OK. Does anyone have any light to
    shine on this subject? Thanks in advance for real help with this.
    --
    Terry
    Remove the rodent from my email address to reply directly.
    Terry, Aug 25, 2004

  2. Terry

    Jerry Guest

    First get yourself a Canon Cleaning Kit.
    It comes with an air brush, cloth and tissue.

    No the film will not be rubbed off.
    If you see what appears to be a bald spot on the lense and will not even out
    again then yes you have taken the coating off.
    Not to worry though there is always others out there to buy.

    Good Luck,

    Jerry
    Jerry, Aug 26, 2004

  3. On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 18:59:19 -0400, "Terry"
    <> wrote:

    >I have a question regarding cleaning a Canon lens. I have the G5 plus
    >telephoto and wide angle lenses. Also Canon 10 X 30 IS binoculars. I
    >wanted to know what is good to clean a fingerprint or water spot from a
    >lens. Binoculars.com, a very reputable company, recommended Ultra Clarity
    >by Nanofilm. (see www.nanofilm.com). I tried the stuff on the binocs & on
    >the wide angle lens. Both times a streaky film formed on the lens which was
    >difficult to get off. It looked like oil on water, but dried on. Canon
    >suggested trying a droplet of water on a lens cloth (I use premium quality
    >lens tissue) & that removed the film. I asked Canon if I might have ruined
    >a lens coating. They replied that I should not worry about it if I do not
    >notice a difference in picture quality, because there is no easy way to
    >tell. I contacted Nanofilm who replied to me immediately. They are
    >unfamiliar with the problem and wanted information about what type of
    >coating Canon uses.
    >
    >Both the binoculars and camera seem to be OK. Does anyone have any light to
    >shine on this subject? Thanks in advance for real help with this.

    I have the perfect solution for you (pun intended). Go to
    www.sciplus.com and order an 8 oz. bottle of "Rexton Optyl-7"
    optical media cleaner (for only $3.95). I've run into the same
    problem you have with some high-priced optics cleaning products. On
    a whim I thought I'd order a bottle of this Optyl stuff. It has
    never failed me yet and has never damaged anything I've used it on.
    The first time I used it was to clean up a filmy mess that some
    other lens cleaner had made (like you described), it was the only
    solvent/cleaner I found that was able to cut through their crap.
    Divvy-up the 8 oz. bottle into smaller applicator containers (I like
    the empty long-nosed glue applicator bottles that you can get from
    hobby-shops for this purpose), it'll last you forever. 1 or 2 drops
    is all you'll ever need on any lens. I always keep a couple extra
    small bottles of this stuff in my camera bag and give it to those in
    passing. (When I find something excellent, I share it.)
    JustPassinThru, Aug 26, 2004
  4. On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 18:59:19 -0400, "Terry"

    JustPassinThru, Aug 26, 2004
  5. Terry

    Terry Guest

    Thanks. My order has been placed.

    Terry, Aug 26, 2004
  6. Terry

    Jem Raid Guest

    "Terry" <> wrote in message
    > I have a question regarding cleaning a Canon lens. I have the G5 plus
    > telephoto and wide angle lenses. Also Canon 10 X 30 IS binoculars. I
    > wanted to know what is good to clean a fingerprint or water spot from a
    > lens. Binoculars.com, a very reputable company, recommended Ultra Clarity
    > by Nanofilm. (see www.nanofilm.com). I tried the stuff on the binocs &

    on
    > the wide angle lens. Both times a streaky film formed on the lens which

    was
    > difficult to get off. It looked like oil on water, but dried on. Canon
    > suggested trying a droplet of water on a lens cloth (I use premium quality
    > lens tissue) & that removed the film. I asked Canon if I might have

    ruined
    > a lens coating. They replied that I should not worry about it if I do not
    > notice a difference in picture quality, because there is no easy way to
    > tell. I contacted Nanofilm who replied to me immediately. They are
    > unfamiliar with the problem and wanted information about what type of
    > coating Canon uses.
    >
    > Both the binoculars and camera seem to be OK. Does anyone have any light

    > shine on this subject? Thanks in advance for real help with this.
    > --
    > Terry
    > Remove the rodent from my email address to reply directly.

    A rich amateur astronomer had a telescope made and kept interferring with
    the manufacturing process, after the lens had been cast he noticed that
    there was a bubble in it, he was assured that it would make no difference.
    When the instrument was installed they asked the astronomer to look through,
    take his time and tell them what he thought, brilliant he said with a
    delighted smile.

    They then took him to the top of the scope to see the lens, and there he saw
    that they had stuck 1/2 a dozen postage stamps to it, they removed these and
    asked him to have another look, no difference.

    The story would have been entirely different if the bubble or part of a
    postage stamp was at the exit rather than the object lens.

    Jem
    Jem Raid, Aug 26, 2004
  7. Terry

    Terry Guest

    I removed all stamps from all lenses. I still have the film to get rid of.
    Nanofilm has been great about this, updating me and contacting Canon for
    any information about the the chemical make up of lens coatings. Canon
    either through ignorance or arrogance is uncooperative.

    Terry, Aug 27, 2004
  8. Terry

    Big Bill Guest

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 22:18:31 -0400, "Terry"
    <> wrote:

    >I removed all stamps from all lenses. I still have the film to get rid of.
    >Nanofilm has been great about this, updating me and contacting Canon for
    >any information about the the chemical make up of lens coatings. Canon
    >either through ignorance or arrogance is uncooperative.

    Are those really the only reasons you can come up with for Canon not
    wanting to describe in detail their proprietary coatings?

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"
    Big Bill, Aug 27, 2004