    where the smaller end is larger and more squarish. What do you call
    the cable port on mine? What is the larger type of cable for?

    Don't all digital cameras have the same size of USB port?
    Felix Oscar, May 7, 2004

  2. Felix Oscar

    Lourens Smak Guest

    In article <>,
    (Felix Oscar) wrote:

    > My Nikon 2100 has a usb port that is very small. I've seen USB cables
    > where the smaller end is larger and more squarish. What do you call
    > the cable port on mine? What is the larger type of cable for?
    >
    > Don't all digital cameras have the same size of USB port?

    As far as I understand it, there's USB A, USB B, and mini-USB. (all
    versions come in a male and female variant of course)
    A and B are the flat and square versions, the one you have is mini-USB.

    USB (Universal serial bus) was designed to connect all kinds of
    low-bandwidth peripherals, like mice, keyboards, webcams, drawing
    tablets, gamepads, printers, scanners, etc.

    My printer for example connects (on the printer side) with the "square"
    USB plug. The computer-side of the cable has the "normal" flat plug.
    Most camera's have the mini-USB socket.

    Lourens
    Lourens Smak, May 7, 2004

  3. Felix Oscar

    Ed E. Guest

    > Don't all digital cameras have the same size of USB port?

    No. Some of Fuji's cameras have a proprietary style for some reason. Many
    use the more standard mini-USB style.
    Ed E., May 7, 2004
  4. Felix Oscar

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Samsung is not same as my canon and not same as argus. Not sure if argus and
    canon are same.]
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, May 8, 2004
  5. Felix Oscar

    stewy Guest

    "Felix Oscar" <> wrote in message
    > My Nikon 2100 has a usb port that is very small. I've seen USB cables
    > where the smaller end is larger and more squarish. What do you call
    > the cable port on mine? What is the larger type of cable for?
    >
    > Don't all digital cameras have the same size of USB port?

    USB and firewire plugs are about the same size. USB is 13mm x 4mm (approx),
    unfortunately many camera makers are under the mistaken belief their camera
    and accessories are superior to everyone else and if God was one of us, HE
    would buy their product.

    Most camera-end USB ports are all different as each maker insists on a
    different standard.

    Get yourself a card reader as replacing a damaged USB cable WILL be
    expensive.
    stewy, May 9, 2004