    tokaimura

    OK, so one of them may be a bit of an odd one out. :)

    Comments, relevant or not, welcomed.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Feb 4, 2005

  2. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    froggy Guest

    On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 22:37:52 +1300, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:

    > It's always hard to think up names for machines. It's even harder to
    > come up with names for a group of machines along a common theme--it
    > seems like all the good ideas have been taken.
    >
    > Well, I wonder if anyone has done this one. Here's a list of candidate
    > names I came up with:
    >
    > oklo
    > windscale
    > threemile
    > chernobyl
    > tokaimura
    >
    > OK, so one of them may be a bit of an odd one out. :)
    >
    > Comments, relevant or not, welcomed.

    ok.. two of them Im sure arent the greatest examples of Nuclear Power
    Plant management.. without googling I'd hazard a guess the others are
    Nuclear plants?

    froggy, Feb 4, 2005

  3. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Graham Guest

    "Lawrence D¹Oliveiro" wrote:

    > It's always hard to think up names for machines. It's even harder to
    > come up with names for a group of machines along a common theme--it
    > seems like all the good ideas have been taken.
    >
    > Well, I wonder if anyone has done this one. Here's a list of candidate
    > names I came up with:
    >
    > oklo
    > windscale
    > threemile
    > chernobyl
    > tokaimura
    >
    > OK, so one of them may be a bit of an odd one out. :)
    >
    > Comments, relevant or not, welcomed.

    The CS machines at VUW are named after cafes in Wellington. Virtually a
    limitless supply!

    Graham, Feb 4, 2005
  4. In article <>,
    froggy <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 22:37:52 +1300, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> oklo
    >> windscale
    >> threemile
    >> chernobyl
    >> tokaimura
    >>

    >ok.. two of them Im sure arent the greatest examples of Nuclear Power
    >Plant management..

    That's true of all of them--except one.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Feb 4, 2005
  5. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro said the following on 5/02/2005 10:33 a.m.:
    > In article <>,
    > froggy <> wrote:
    >

    >>On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 22:37:52 +1300, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >>

    >>> oklo
    >>> windscale
    >>> threemile
    >>> chernobyl
    >>> tokaimura
    >>>

    >>ok.. two of them Im sure arent the greatest examples of Nuclear Power
    >>Plant management..

    > That's true of all of them--except one.

    All are nuclear related The first being a reaction in a natural deposit,
    the others being power plants ?

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

    Collector»NZ, Feb 4, 2005
  6. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    froggy Guest

    On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 10:45:34 +1300, Collector»NZ wrote:

    > Lawrence D¹Oliveiro said the following on 5/02/2005 10:33 a.m.:
    >> In article <>,
    >> froggy <> wrote:

    >>>ok.. two of them Im sure arent the greatest examples of Nuclear Power
    >>>Plant management..

    >> That's true of all of them--except one.

    > All are nuclear related The first being a reaction in a natural deposit,
    > the others being power plants ?

    after resorting to google I have spent the last 10 or 15 mins reading some
    fascinating information on both oklo and nuclear reactors fission and
    fusion...
    emboldened with such information I hereby declare Tauranga and surrounding
    districts no longer nuclear free.. because I am now building a backtard
    reactor!

    froggy, Feb 4, 2005
  7. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    froggy Guest

    On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 23:36:08 +0000, Matthew Poole wrote:

    > In article <>, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >>It's always hard to think up names for machines. It's even harder to
    >>come up with names for a group of machines along a common theme--it
    >>seems like all the good ideas have been taken.
    >>

    > I'm using famous historical warriors. washington, nelson, nimitz,
    > bodicea, cicero, alexander
    > Dunno if it's been done before, but it's sufficiently obscure that if I
    > just roll off the first two people thing it's geographical.
    >
    >>Well, I wonder if anyone has done this one. Here's a list of candidate
    >>names I came up with:
    >>
    >> oklo
    >> windscale
    >> threemile
    >> chernobyl
    >> tokaimura
    >>
    >>OK, so one of them may be a bit of an odd one out. :)
    >>
    >>Comments, relevant or not, welcomed.

    > Interesting choice. Sites of nuclear accidents (except the first one).
    > Or are you picking nuclear reactions that went out of control?
    > You might have a bit of trouble filling it out further, though.

    themes for naming machines I have used..
    small rodents...
    weasel.. ratsguts ( from a book I was forced to read as a child) hamster
    ... etc
    Im glad these were on my LAN and not available to the public
    oh the embarresment

    froggy, Feb 4, 2005

    --
    Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
    "Veni, vidi, velcro...

    My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

    Matthew Poole, Feb 4, 2005
  9. On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 11:41:57 +1300, froggy
    <> wrote in

    > On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 23:36:08 +0000, Matthew Poole wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >>>It's always hard to think up names for machines. It's even harder to
    >>>come up with names for a group of machines along a common theme--it
    >>>seems like all the good ideas have been taken.
    >>>

    >> I'm using famous historical warriors. washington, nelson, nimitz,
    >> bodicea, cicero, alexander
    >> Dunno if it's been done before, but it's sufficiently obscure that if I
    >> just roll off the first two people thing it's geographical.
    >>
    >>>Well, I wonder if anyone has done this one. Here's a list of candidate
    >>>names I came up with:
    >>>
    >>> oklo
    >>> windscale
    >>> threemile
    >>> chernobyl
    >>> tokaimura
    >>>
    >>>OK, so one of them may be a bit of an odd one out. :)
    >>>
    >>>Comments, relevant or not, welcomed.

    >> Interesting choice. Sites of nuclear accidents (except the first one).
    >> Or are you picking nuclear reactions that went out of control?
    >> You might have a bit of trouble filling it out further, though.

    > themes for naming machines I have used..
    > small rodents...
    > weasel.. ratsguts ( from a book I was forced to read as a child) hamster
    > .. etc
    > Im glad these were on my LAN and not available to the public
    > oh the embarresment

    weasel != rodent. weasel := mustelid.

    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    2005 Pricelessware CD now available.
    Pricelessware - the best of the best in freeware, as determined by the
    readers of alt.comp.freeware.
    E-Mail me for details: - mention CD in subject.

    .... A soft answer turneth away wrath, but leaveth unrepelled the
    door-to-door religion peddler.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Feb 5, 2005
  10. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    froggy Guest

    On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 13:19:06 +1300, Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:

    > On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 11:41:57 +1300, froggy
    > <> wrote in

    >>> I'm using famous historical warriors. washington, nelson, nimitz,
    >>> bodicea, cicero, alexander
    >>> Dunno if it's been done before, but it's sufficiently obscure that if I
    >>> just roll off the first two people thing it's geographical.

    >>> Interesting choice. Sites of nuclear accidents (except the first one).
    >>> Or are you picking nuclear reactions that went out of control?
    >>> You might have a bit of trouble filling it out further, though.

    >> themes for naming machines I have used..
    >> small rodents...
    >> weasel.. ratsguts ( from a book I was forced to read as a child) hamster
    >> .. etc
    >> Im glad these were on my LAN and not available to the public
    >> oh the embarresment

    > weasel != rodent. weasel := mustelid.

    hehehehe
    I withdraw my weasel == rodent remark and from now on refer to weasels
    merely as pests :)

    froggy, Feb 5, 2005
  11. In article <>,
    froggy <> wrote:

    >themes for naming machines I have used..
    >small rodents...
    >weasel.. ratsguts ( from a book I was forced to read as a child) hamster
    >.. etc
    >Im glad these were on my LAN and not available to the public
    >oh the embarresment

    I have a client who has used names very similar to these.

    Or, returning to a vaguely mad-scientist theme, how about the names of
    biologists' favourite species for conducting genetic mutation
    experiments:

    Escherichia Coli -- gut bacterium
    Caenorhabditis Elegans -- nematode worm
    Arabidopsis Thaliana -- thale cress
    Drosophila Melanogaster -- fruit fly

    Trouble is, these are a bit long. How to abbreviate them? Coli? Elegans?
    Thali? Droso?

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Feb 5, 2005
  12. On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 14:17:55 +1300, froggy
    <> wrote in

    > On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 13:19:06 +1300, Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 11:41:57 +1300, froggy
    >> <> wrote in

    >>> themes for naming machines I have used..
    >>> small rodents...
    >>> weasel.. ratsguts ( from a book I was forced to read as a child) hamster
    >>> .. etc
    >>> Im glad these were on my LAN and not available to the public
    >>> oh the embarresment

    >> weasel != rodent. weasel := mustelid.

    > hehehehe
    > I withdraw my weasel == rodent remark and from now on refer to weasels
    > merely as pests :)

    And you would certainly get no argument from me on THAT!

    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    2005 Pricelessware CD now available.
    Pricelessware - the best of the best in freeware, as determined by the
    readers of alt.comp.freeware.
    E-Mail me for details: - mention CD in subject.

    .... A weasel's so WEASEL-ly recognised, but a stoat? Well, he's STOATally
    different.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Feb 5, 2005
  13. In article <>, Graham <> wrote:

    >The CS machines at VUW are named after cafes in Wellington. Virtually a
    >limitless supply!

    Hey, if you run out, there are a lot more in Hamilton you can use as
    well. :)

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Feb 5, 2005
  14. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    froggy Guest

    On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 14:58:15 +1300, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > froggy <> wrote:
    >
    >>themes for naming machines I have used..
    >>small rodents...
    >>weasel.. ratsguts ( from a book I was forced to read as a child) hamster
    >>.. etc
    >>Im glad these were on my LAN and not available to the public
    >>oh the embarresment

    > I have a client who has used names very similar to these.
    >
    > Or, returning to a vaguely mad-scientist theme, how about the names of
    > biologists' favourite species for conducting genetic mutation
    > experiments:
    >
    > Escherichia Coli -- gut bacterium
    > Caenorhabditis Elegans -- nematode worm
    > Arabidopsis Thaliana -- thale cress
    > Drosophila Melanogaster -- fruit fly
    >
    > Trouble is, these are a bit long. How to abbreviate them? Coli? Elegans?
    > Thali? Droso?

    heh.. that first one is commonly called E.Coli ( as in the bacterium
    associated with food poisoning caused by not washing the hands after using
    the bathroom)
    Perhaps he would also find campylobactor jejuner (sp?) appropriate
    also as this is another common food poisoning bacterium.. normally
    referred to merely as campylobactor

    froggy, Feb 5, 2005
  15. In article <>,
    froggy <> wrote:

    >heh.. that first one is commonly called E.Coli ( as in the bacterium
    >associated with food poisoning caused by not washing the hands after using
    >the bathroom)

    No, that's just one strain of E. Coli. You already have other strains
    living in your gut, that are in fact quite good for you. As witness what
    happens when they get killed off if you have to undergo antibiotic
    treatment for any reason--one common side-effect is an upset stomach.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Feb 5, 2005
  16. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    froggy Guest

    On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 15:40:38 +1300, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > froggy <> wrote:
    >
    >>heh.. that first one is commonly called E.Coli ( as in the bacterium
    >>associated with food poisoning caused by not washing the hands after using
    >>the bathroom)

    > No, that's just one strain of E. Coli. You already have other strains
    > living in your gut, that are in fact quite good for you. As witness what
    > happens when they get killed off if you have to undergo antibiotic
    > treatment for any reason--one common side-effect is an upset stomach.

    ahh right you are... however it now does occur to me that the food
    poisoning theme would have merit

    froggy, Feb 5, 2005
  17. In article <>,
    froggy <> wrote:

    >... however it now does occur to me that the food
    >poisoning theme would have merit

    All right! Salmonella... Cryptosporidium? (I think that's the one you
    get from infected swimming pools, which is probably stretching the
    food-poisoning definition a little bit.)

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Feb 5, 2005
  18. I remember back when the local University first got into
    networking--this was 1980, so none of us had heard of TCP/IP. Since our
    machines were mainly DEC, networking meant DECNet.

    Prior to this, the main campus machine was a PDP-11/70. Then we got our
    first VAX-11/780. So the names they were given were "PDP::" and "VAX::"
    (DECNet used a double-colon to prefix pathnames across the network).

    Then the second VAX arrived. For some reason (probably related to the
    name of the system manager involved), this was named "VEX::".

    Now, putting together two such similar-sounding names, and stirring in a
    mix of accents from Kiwis and people from other countries, led to some
    unfortunate misunderstandings over the subsequent couple of years.
    There's a moral in there somewhere. :)

    Anyway, for the next bunch of VAXes, it was decided to use bland,
    uncontroversial names that nobody could find fault with. The cluster as
    a whole was named VIRTUE, and the machine names were correspondingly
    virtuous: GRACE, TRUTH, HOPE, MERCY etc.

    When I set up a small departmental AppleShare server, I named it "Vice"
    in opposition, and its hard drives were "Envy" and "Greed". It never
    went beyond two drives, so I never got to use the next name on my list,
    "Lust"...

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Feb 5, 2005
  19. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Jerry Guest

    froggy wrote:
    > On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 23:36:08 +0000, Matthew Poole wrote:
    >

    >>In article <>, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >>
    >>>It's always hard to think up names for machines. It's even harder to
    >>>come up with names for a group of machines along a common theme--it
    >>>seems like all the good ideas have been taken.
    >>>

    >>I'm using famous historical warriors. washington, nelson, nimitz,
    >>bodicea, cicero, alexander
    >>Dunno if it's been done before, but it's sufficiently obscure that if I
    >>just roll off the first two people thing it's geographical.
    >>

    >>>Well, I wonder if anyone has done this one. Here's a list of candidate
    >>>names I came up with:
    >>>
    >>> oklo
    >>> windscale
    >>> threemile
    >>> chernobyl
    >>> tokaimura
    >>>
    >>>OK, so one of them may be a bit of an odd one out. :)
    >>>
    >>>Comments, relevant or not, welcomed.

    >>Interesting choice. Sites of nuclear accidents (except the first one).
    >>Or are you picking nuclear reactions that went out of control?
    >>You might have a bit of trouble filling it out further, though.

    > themes for naming machines I have used..
    > small rodents...
    > weasel.. ratsguts ( from a book I was forced to read as a child) hamster
    > .. etc
    > Im glad these were on my LAN and not available to the public
    > oh the embarresment

    It could be worse, you could have named them for STDs. let me see, I
    have 5 machines on my home network.........

    Jerry

    Jerry, Feb 5, 2005
  20. In article <420439c0$>, Jerry <>
    wrote:

    >It could be worse, you could have named them for STDs.

    Now there's an idea.

    OK, time to play some more spot-the-theme:

    1) adeno, arbo, arena, arteri, astro, baculo, corona, hanta, nairo ...

    2) book, earth, hook, tape, ...

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Feb 5, 2005