    "Anytime I hear the word "email", I fire up my 64-bit 4GHz
    machine with 12 gigs of RAM."
    - 21st Century Humanoid
    thanatoid, Sep 25, 2010

  2. thanatoid

    Tigger Guest

    Re: Name your fave Win app written in the last 11 years for whichthere IS NO cheaper or free alternative which will run on 9x-6.1, like anygood 32bit app should.

    thanatoid writted thus:

    > I can NOT wait. Don't let me down, people.

    whats the question, subject is too long to read...
    Tigger, Sep 25, 2010

  3. thanatoid

    Tigger, Sep 25, 2010
  4. thanatoid

    chuckcar Guest

    thanatoid <> wrote in

    > I can NOT wait. Don't let me down, people.

    Only 11 years? Cutting the 9er's a bit short aren't we?

    Software has gone downhill since 95 came on the market. The slide has
    been covered up by the increase in cpu clock speed, VLSI and graphics
    processors.

    Here's one. Pre 95 even. Sidekick. Still usuable on a computer destitute
    enough to only allow a single screenfull of use.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Sep 25, 2010
  5. thanatoid

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Re: Name your fave Win app written in the last 11 years for whichthere IS NO cheaper or free alternative which will run on 9x-6.1, like anygood 32bit app should.

    On 9/25/2010 11:26 AM Just to please that super-ego, thanatoid wrote the
    following tidbit of information:
    > I can NOT wait. Don't let me down, people.

    Firefox/Thunderbird.

    --
    OldGringo38
    Just West Of Nowhere
    OldGringo38, Sep 25, 2010
  6. thanatoid

    Mike Easter Guest

    Re: Name your fave Win app <snip>

    Subject: Name your fave Win app written in the last 11 years for which
    there IS NO cheaper or free alternative which will run on 9x-6.1, like
    any good 32bit app should.

    > Firefox/Thunderbird.

    I think the incompetent (inadequate) message body which was found under
    the incompetent (misconfigured and ambiguous) subject of the OP means
    (fave) apps which will run on *all* 9x-6.1 rather than /any/ 9x-6.1 (95,
    98, Me, XP).

    I think that because the OP likes to use W98se, and modern Ffox/Tbird
    will not run on stock W98se.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Sep 25, 2010
  7. thanatoid

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > (fave) apps which will run on *all* 9x-6.1 rather than /any/ 9x-6.1 (95,
    > 98, Me, XP).

    Oops. I left out the NTs and 2K, and Vista & Win7, also the Server and
    CE/Mobile versions.

    Or maybe I should say that I don't know what the OP means when he
    mentions the range 9x-6.1 -- everything - every OS - that MS made
    between 95 and Win7 or with some reservations?

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Sep 25, 2010
  8. thanatoid

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Re: Name your fave Win app <snip>

    On 9/25/2010 3:17 PM Just to please that super-ego, Mike Easter wrote
    the following tidbit of information:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >
    >> (fave) apps which will run on *all* 9x-6.1 rather than /any/ 9x-6.1
    >> (95, 98, Me, XP).

    > Oops. I left out the NTs and 2K, and Vista & Win7, also the Server and
    > CE/Mobile versions.
    >
    > Or maybe I should say that I don't know what the OP means when he
    > mentions the range 9x-6.1 -- everything - every OS - that MS made
    > between 95 and Win7 or with some reservations?

    I don't have a clue <g> little pacification. I read the first 11 words
    and posted :)

    OldGringo38, Sep 25, 2010
  9. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    chuckcar <> wrote in

    > thanatoid <> wrote in
    >
    >> I can NOT wait. Don't let me down, people.
    >>

    > Only 11 years? Cutting the 9er's a bit short aren't we?

    98 came out in 98, more or less. Since apparently no one has
    used 95B for about 10 years, I figured I'd leave 95 out of the
    statement.

    (I used 95B until about 2 years go, with a 33.6 modem, but when
    semi-BB became cheaper than dial-up and 2 phone lines, I
    switched to a network router which required a minimum of
    98SELite, which is what I use for everything except the
    mentioned stupid fucking analog video capture card; and I use
    /do/ 98SE *LITE* [with 3 95B sys files] but I'll leave it to
    someone with even more time to kill to argue about whether that
    is in effect 95 or 98, or not even Windows at all - hi, Gary
    Terhune!)

    I stated 11 years ago - which by my reckoning started in 99,
    more or less - giving a year or so of "post-98 and pre-XP" semi-
    sanity for some half-decent stuff to be written. I don't know
    when 98SE came out, but if I had a copy of 98 ver. 1 (instead of
    a copy of 98SE), I would have "Lited" /it/.

    > Software has gone downhill since 95 came on the market. The
    > slide has been covered up by the increase in cpu clock
    > speed, VLSI and graphics processors.
    >
    > Here's one. Pre 95 even. Sidekick. Still usuable on a
    > computer destitute enough to only allow a single screenfull
    > of use.

    I knew some people who SWORE by Sidekick but I did not like it.
    I had simpler and better apps which did the same and more. I do
    not remember the details, but since I still do/need the same
    things, and do NOT use any shit written in the last 5 years, and
    VERY little shit written in the last 10 years, I imagine I have
    found a free replacement. Perhaps TreePadLite.

    Next!?

    ;-)

    --
    "Anytime I hear the word "culture", I reach for my iPad."
    - 21st Century Humanoid
    thanatoid, Sep 25, 2010
  10. thanatoid

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Re: Name your fave Win app <snip>

    On 9/25/2010 3:17 PM Just to please that super-ego, Mike Easter wrote
    the following tidbit of information:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >
    >> (fave) apps which will run on *all* 9x-6.1 rather than /any/ 9x-6.1
    >> (95, 98, Me, XP).

    > Oops. I left out the NTs and 2K, and Vista & Win7, also the Server and
    > CE/Mobile versions.
    >
    > Or maybe I should say that I don't know what the OP means when he
    > mentions the range 9x-6.1 -- everything - every OS - that MS made
    > between 95 and Win7 or with some reservations?

    PS: If I remember correctly the very early versions of FF worked on
    win98, can't remember well but it seems like I had FF on Win98se
    sometime in early 2000.

    OldGringo38, Sep 25, 2010
  11. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    Re: Name your fave Win app <snip>

    Mike Easter <> wrote in

    > OldGringo38 wrote:
    >> thanatoid

    > Subject: Name your fave Win app written in the last 11
    > years for which there IS NO cheaper or free alternative
    > which will run on 9x-6.1, like any good 32bit app should.
    >
    >> Firefox/Thunderbird.

    I have not tried it but I am reasonably certain that Opera will
    run even on 95. It runs on 98SELite which has 3 95B main sys
    files.

    As for email clients, there are several I can think of that will
    run on 95 and dance big circles around Thundershit.

    > I think the incompetent (inadequate) message body which was
    > found under the incompetent (misconfigured and ambiguous)
    > subject of the OP means (fave) apps which will run on *all*
    > 9x-6.1 rather than /any/ 9x-6.1 (95, 98, Me, XP).

    As you certainly know, 6 is Vista and 6.1 is Win7. Microsoft are
    VERY logical as always. (I believe there was Win2000 as well,
    and whatever "Win/XP 2003" is.)

    Since I have about 2 hrs of Vista experience (on someone else's
    machine) and no 6.1 experience, I do not actually /know/ whether
    nPOP or XNews will run on 6 or 6.1. But they should. Anyway,
    anyone using 6 or 6.1 is insane (Mike Easter excluded), so I am
    not interested in their opinions.

    Hee hee. What was so inadequate, misconfigured and ambiguous?
    YOU understood what I meant! It WAS long, but so what? At least
    my msg BODY was not 50 paragraphs (which, as you well know ;-) I
    am MORE than capable of) !!!

    > I think that because the OP likes to use W98se, and modern
    > Ffox/Tbird will not run on stock W98se.

    I have OldGringo KF'd. Those KF'd need not participate in the
    thread AFA I am concerned. They are nonetheless welcome to spew
    their nonsense for the benefit of their pals in stupidity.

    /Any/ input from the likes of Mike Easter and other equally
    respectable persons is MOST welcome.

    thanatoid, Sep 25, 2010
  12. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    "skeeter" <> wrote in

    ?"thanatoid" wrote in message

    I can NOT wait. Don't let me down, people.

    --
    "Anytime I hear the word "email", I fire up my 64-bit 4GHz
    machine with 12 gigs of RAM."
    - 21st Century Humanoid

    news xpress

    ??????
    ??????
    ??????
    ??????

    You REALLY need to learn how to post. The two words which YOU
    wrote, UNDER my sig, had to be manually copied since a real
    newsreader ignores them.

    Either you are as dense as your manner of posting is bad, or no
    one understood the question.

    NewsXpress runs fine on everything. I want to know what does NOT
    run on everything and what there IS no cheap/free/superior
    alternative - like NewsXpress instead of Outlook Express.

    (Or whatever it's called now - looking at your headers, I guess
    it's called "Microsoft Windows Live Mail 15.4.3002.810".)

    thanatoid, Sep 25, 2010
  13. thanatoid

    skeeter Guest

    thanatoid <> wrote in

    > "skeeter" <> wrote in
    >
    > ?"thanatoid" wrote in message
    >
    > I can NOT wait. Don't let me down, people.

    it's all only fun if you try out different software yourself. what works
    for you doesn't mean it's good for me.

    you don't always have to be a condensending asshole.
    skeeter, Sep 25, 2010
  14. thanatoid

    richard Guest

    On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 16:26:19 +0000 (UTC), thanatoid wrote:

    > I can NOT wait. Don't let me down, people.

    My favorite that has so far worked on every version of windows since it
    came out is Toniarts "Easy Cleaner".
    Havent tried it out on windows 7 yet but it works on vista with no
    problems. Worked on windows 95 just the same.
    richard, Sep 25, 2010
  15. thanatoid

    chuckcar Guest

    skeeter <> wrote in

    > thanatoid <> wrote in
    >
    >> "skeeter" <> wrote in
    >>
    >> ?"thanatoid" wrote in message
    >>
    >> I can NOT wait. Don't let me down, people.
    >>

    > it's all only fun if you try out different software yourself. what
    > works for you doesn't mean it's good for me.
    >
    > you don't always have to be a condensending asshole.

    Oh, lighten up for christ's sake. Your sig is longer than the lord's
    prayer and you posted an empty message. What do you expect, complements
    on your typing speed?

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Sep 26, 2010
  16. thanatoid

    chuckcar Guest

    thanatoid <> wrote in

    > chuckcar <> wrote in
    >

    >> Here's one. Pre 95 even. Sidekick. Still usuable on a
    >> computer destitute enough to only allow a single screenfull
    >> of use.

    > I knew some people who SWORE by Sidekick but I did not like it.
    > I had simpler and better apps which did the same and more. I do
    > not remember the details, but since I still do/need the same
    > things, and do NOT use any shit written in the last 5 years, and
    > VERY little shit written in the last 10 years, I imagine I have
    > found a free replacement. Perhaps TreePadLite.
    >
    > Next!?

    Go to Freshmeat.net and browse for something to port to DJGPP. That's
    your best best and least amount of work IMHO. I haven't for a while, but
    their categories are horribly organized. I must be a pick your own
    category. No ones in the right one it seems.

    DJGPP is a sort of mini unix system that allows you to compile code
    written for linux to windoze. The acronym is so unique, I don't need to
    mention anything else other than a name whose use that will become
    obvious when you *do* search: Delorie.

    Back when Sidekick came out, there was loads of other useful programs that
    came around. I vaguely remember one word processor that would predict what
    you type - offer it as a suggestion (and get better at it) and thus increase
    your typing speed. The problem is that now everyone owns a computer. Even those
    simply not capable of learning how to use one or with a use for one.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Sep 26, 2010
  17. thanatoid

    chuckcar Guest

    > OldGringo38 wrote:
    >> thanatoid

    > Subject: Name your fave Win app written in the last 11 years for which
    > there IS NO cheaper or free alternative which will run on 9x-6.1, like
    > any good 32bit app should.
    >
    >> Firefox/Thunderbird.

    > I think the incompetent (inadequate) message body which was found
    > under the incompetent (misconfigured and ambiguous) subject of the OP
    > means (fave) apps which will run on *all* 9x-6.1 rather than /any/
    > 9x-6.1 (95, 98, Me, XP).
    >
    > I think that because the OP likes to use W98se, and modern Ffox/Tbird
    > will not run on stock W98se.

    There's a version for 98. And it's hardly 10 years old - which was
    contrary to the point anyways.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Sep 26, 2010
  18. thanatoid

    chuckcar Guest

    OldGringo38 <> wrote in

    > On 9/25/2010 11:26 AM Just to please that super-ego, thanatoid wrote
    > the following tidbit of information:
    >> I can NOT wait. Don't let me down, people.
    >>

    > Firefox/Thunderbird.

    That's the best you could come up with? I'd have thought *anything* but
    a browser email client combo.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Sep 26, 2010
  19. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    skeeter <> wrote in

    > thanatoid <> wrote in
    >
    >> "skeeter" <> wrote in
    >>
    >> ?"thanatoid" wrote in message
    >>
    >> I can NOT wait. Don't let me down, people.
    >>

    > it's all only fun if you try out different software
    > yourself. what works for you doesn't mean it's good for me.
    >
    > you don't always have to be a condensending asshole.

    You must be new here... ;-)

    And not ALWAYS, just when the circumstances demand it.

    thanatoid, Sep 26, 2010
  20. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    "skeeter" <> wrote in

    <snip>

    > it's all only fun if you try out different software
    > yourself. what works for you doesn't mean it's good for me.
    >
    > you don't always have to be a condensending asshole.
    >
    > see what i mean? i need a spellchecker. no spell checker in
    > any other news reader i like

    There are several system-wide spellcheckers. My favorite,
    unequaled by ANY OTHER that I tried, is "SPELL CHECKER FOR EDIT
    BOXES" from:

    http://www.quinion.com/mqa/spell.htm

    The author says, IN BIG BOLD LETTERS, that it does /not/ run on
    XP, but it runs on XP Pro SP3 just fine. Since it is a 16bit
    program, SOME text editors do not work with it even under 9x. I
    use Metapad LE, works like a charm under 9x and XP, WITH
    Quinion's spellchecker:

    http://liquidninja.com/metapad/metapad351LE.zip

    It also has the BEST - and is UNIQUE in this - feature of ANY
    windows text program... It ***IGNORES*** the dreaded
    insert/overwrite key. (Which is located above the delete key on
    a normal keyboard and rather EASILY hit at the MOST inopportune
    moments...)

    I have it set up as the external editor in XNews.

    Forget that Windows live shit, and get XNews:

    http://xnews.newsguy.com/

    It may be old, but it is the BEST.

    To use nzb files (q.v.), get GrabIt:

    www.shemes.com