Name That Tune - March in "Black Orpheus"

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by John R. Baker, Mar 11, 2007.

  1. I am trying to identify the name and composer of a particular march that is
    very popular throughout Latin America.

    The march was featured in a scene in Marcel Chamus' 1959 movie "Black
    Orpheus." (This Portuguese-language film also goes by the name "Orfeu
    Negro.")

    I believe the march was not written for the movie, but pre-dates the movie
    by many years.

    Here is a link to a clip of the march from the movie. The clip is about 1
    minute, 25 seconds long.

    http://www.jrb-online.com/name_that_tune.htm

    Could someone please help me identify the name of the march and of the
    composer?

    For more information on the movie "Black Orpheus," see the Internet Movie
    Database: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053146/ .

    Thanks!

    - John R. Baker
    John R. Baker, Mar 11, 2007

  2. On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 01:18:33 -0600, John R. Baker wrote:

    > Here is a link to a clip of the march from the movie. The clip is about 1
    > minute, 25 seconds long.
    >
    > http://

    Sorry, I don't do Windows Media Player.

    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Pomona, CA * 34.074630°N 117.754195°W
    knotgary at knotdonavan dot org http : // www.donavan.org
    Gary G. Taylor, Mar 11, 2007

  3. John R. Baker

    Mike Easter Guest

    John R. Baker wrote:
    > I am trying to identify the name and composer of a particular march
    > that is very popular throughout Latin America.
    >
    > The march was featured in a scene in Marcel Chamus' 1959 movie "Black
    > Orpheus." (This Portuguese-language film also goes by the name "Orfeu
    > Negro.")

    I know a little bit about the soundtrack for that movie

    > I believe the march was not written for the movie, but pre-dates the
    > movie by many years.
    >
    > Here is a link to a clip of the march from the movie. The clip is
    > about 1 minute, 25 seconds long.
    >
    > http://www.jrb-online.com/name_that_tune.htm

    Leaving out the html/asx javascript, the .wmv file is at
    http://www.jrb-online.com/media/March in Black Orpheus.wmv

    > Could someone please help me identify the name of the march and of the
    > composer?

    I can't really hear the music that the parade band is playing in the
    ..wmv movie clip, I can only tell that there is a crowd, a parade, and a
    band. I can hear the clip's scant dialogue OK.

    > For more information on the movie "Black Orpheus," see the Internet
    > Movie Database: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053146/ .

    The movie is renowned for its soundtrack by bossa nova dude Antonio
    Carlos Jobim and songs by Luiz Bonfá -- "Manhã de Carnaval" ["A Day in
    the Life of a Fool"] - "A felicidade"

    If you buy a CD of its soundtrack, the CD has

    1. Generique
    2. A Felicidade
    3. Frevo
    4. O Nosso Amor
    5. O Nosso Amor
    6. Manha De Carnaval
    7. Scene Du Lever Du Soleil
    8. Manha De Carnaval
    9. Scenes De La Macunba
    10. O Nosso Amor
    11. Manha De Carnaval
    12. Samba De Orfeo
    13. Batterie De Cappela
    14. Bola Sete Medley: Manha De Carnaval / A Felicidade / Samba De
    Orfeo - Bola Sete

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Mar 11, 2007
  4. John R. Baker

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter, Mar 11, 2007
  5. John R. Baker

    Maximum Dog3 Guest

    Re: It's Hell's desperate House Hag.

    Maximum Dog3, Mar 11, 2007
  6. John R. Baker

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Re: Please someone help my anus hurts

    Duane Arnold, Mar 11, 2007
  7. John R. Baker

    Maximum Dog3 Guest

    Re: It's a chime in from Hell, because bone has been struck on K-Lucifer'swife.

    Maximum Dog3, Mar 11, 2007
  8. John R. Baker

    Maximum Dog3 Guest

    Re: Opps! It's a chime in from Hell, because bone has been struckon Lucifer's wife Mrs. K-Lucifer.

    The sloppy seconds Hag in Hell Mrs. K-Lucifer wrote:

    <snipped>

    <g>
    Maximum Dog3, Mar 11, 2007
  9. For those that don't do Windows Media Player, here is a link directly to the
    source file:

    http://www.jrb-online.com/media/March in Black Orpheus.wmv

    Hope this helps!

    - John R. Baker

    John R. Baker, Mar 11, 2007
  10. Here is a link directly to the source file:

    http://www.jrb-online.com/media/March in Black Orpheus.wmv

    Unfortunately, this particular piece is NOT one of the slections on the
    soundtrack.

    - John R. Baker

    John R. Baker, Mar 11, 2007
  11. John R. Baker

    Maximum Dog3 Guest

    Re: Name That Hag from - "Hell"

    Lucifer's Hag from Hell Mrs. K-Lucifer wrote:

    >>Then, kindly **** yourself with a baseball
    >>bat, using Oven-Off for lube. Thank you.

    <That's a good one. <g>>

    <She's already in Hell with a lot of heat and fire so all she has to do
    is clean her **** and her butt hole out with a bucket of contaminated
    water and a couple of used Brillo pads. Then she can tampon up again
    with the same old nasty tampon and continue to haunt the Internet.>

    > Bad skunks in Hell like to smell me. They tell me they are use to the smell, but they have
    > trouble looking at me and have not seen worst. I guess it's my skin. My husban Lucifer tells
    > me to use the fire liberally and burn it out -- burn baby burn.

    <Yeah know Mrs. Lucifer, cleanliness is next to godliness, you have no
    clue, you stinking and nasty hag.>
    Maximum Dog3, Mar 11, 2007
  12. John R. Baker

    Mike Easter Guest

    John R. Baker wrote:
    > Here is a link directly to the source file:
    >
    > http://www.jrb-online.com/media/March in Black Orpheus.wmv
    >
    > Unfortunately, this particular piece is NOT one of the slections on
    > the soundtrack.

    I can hear the band's march music better if I turn the sound volume up
    high during the 'bird's eye view' part of the film clip when she is
    crossing the plaza, but I don't recognize it.

    Maybe you should ask in a newsgroup 'into' things .br, especially music,
    such as:

    alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.brazilian
    macromedia.general.brazil
    rec.music.brazilian
    soc.culture.brazil

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Mar 11, 2007
  13. John R. Baker

    Frosty Guest

    On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 12:37:21 -0500 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk "John R.
    Baker" <>, intended to write something
    intelligible, but instead wrote :

    >For those that don't do Windows Media Player, here is a link directly to the
    >source file:
    >
    >http://www.jrb-online.com/media/March in Black Orpheus.wmv
    >
    >Hope this helps!
    >
    >- John R. Baker

    Yeah, That's The Green Acres theme song done by John P. Sousa.

    Frosty, Mar 12, 2007