Name That Mystery Box

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Harry, Jul 24, 2005.

  1. Harry

    Harry Guest

    Hello,
    What is a "heat pump"?
    All i can find on the Internet is talk about the compressor
    of the heat pump, however they often show a picture of a
    tall box-looking thingy standing along side of the
    compressor, but never say a thing about it. I donot even
    know the name of the "box". What is in the box? I know
    the fan is in it, however i think there is something else in
    there - scary- huh?
    Here on this site
    http://snipurl.com/ggc7
    they talk about:

    “Heat Pumps, Split System, Electric Heat and AirConditioning”

    Then it gets confusing . . .

    “What is a “split system”“ may be a better question than
    “What is a heat pump”. Does it mean a heat pump system
    can be a one system and a split system also (in that the
    compressor is in that mystery box or what all is in the
    mystery box is in the compressor, thus making it a “one
    system”), or does it mean a heat pump and a split system
    are two entirely different animals, and if so what are they
    in comparison to one another?

    I was told if i put gas heat in i will be in the same category
    as a seller trying to sell a house with a swimming pool - it
    is hard to sell, so i guess i will have to put back the heat
    pump - split system whatever. For 13 years ihave been
    calling the thing that was drug out of here a “heat pump”,
    but was it a heat pump? Its box is still here in the hall in a
    sort of closet. In there is the central fan i use to circulate
    air through the ducts. It runs off the now gone heat pump
    whatever thermostat. Underneath is the air intake, which i
    have highly filtered (two filters), one metal sort of filter i
    paid more than i can remember (it was 3 figures) that fits
    snug under the floor on which the box sits, and then i have
    another one covering the screen at the hole in the hall wall
    that leads into the box’s closet - it is at the floor. You can
    open it, and in there is nothing (on the floor that is) unless
    you stick your head into the hole and look up. I never did
    that so i donot know what you would see, however i guess
    it would be the box’s bottom/feet who knows or the floor
    the box sits on with a hole in it for the air vent?.
    The old heating unit used to run air conditioning when you
    switched the thermostat one way and heat when you
    switched it the other way. For some reason it stopped
    running. People said it was because it was old (i took that
    personal like) and also said the fins were rusted from the
    salt air - no one ever said anything about the box, so i guess
    all ihave to do is plunk a compressor whatever right down
    where the “old” one was and hook up the new one the same
    way (after i find out what it was: split system or heat pump
    whatever)?

    Harry, Jul 24, 2005

  2. Harry

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Harry, <7957418@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote:

    > Hello, What is a "heat pump"?

    Hey, little Black Sambo.

    > All i can find on the Internet is talk about the compressor of the heat
    > pump, however they often show a picture of a tall box-looking thingy
    > standing along side of the compressor, but never say a thing about it.

    How often?

    > I donot even know the name of the "box".

    You're so insecure about what I do at my work.

    > What is in the box?

    Why do you ask what is in the box?

    > I know the fan is in it, however i think there is something else in
    > there - scary- huh?

    Maybe you should think harder next time, Harry.

    > Here on this site http://snipurl.com/ggc7 “Heat Pumps, Split System,
    > Electric Heat and AirConditioning” Then it gets confusing.

    Hmm. Maybe I took some bad acid?

    > “What is a “split system”“ may be a better question than “What is a heat
    > pump”.

    Better than chocolate.

    > Does it mean a heat pump system can be a one system and a split system
    > also (in that the compressor is in that mystery box or what all is in the
    > mystery box is in the compressor, thus making it a “one system”), or does
    > it mean a heat pump and a split system are two entirely different animals,
    > and if so what are they in comparison to one another?

    Yes, they are in comparison to one another.

    > I was told if i put gas heat in i will be in the same category as a
    > seller trying to sell a house with a swimming pool - it is hard to sell,
    > so i guess i will have to put back the heat pump - split system whatever.

    If you let kids get into trouble, if they can get out of it, they do real
    well.

    > For 13 years ihave been calling the thing that was drug out of here a
    > “heat pump”, but was it a heat pump?

    It was, but not anymore.

    > Its box is still here in the hall in a sort of closet.

    The front end of the horse and the rear end of the horse are two different
    people.

    > In there is the central fan i use to circulate air through the ducts.

    There is no dark man. There is no room.

    > It runs off the now gone heat pump whatever thermostat.

    Now I know your secret.

    > Underneath is the air intake, which i have highly filtered (two
    > filters), one metal sort of filter i paid more than i can remember (it was
    > 3 figures) that fits snug under the floor on which the box sits, and then
    > i have another one covering the screen at the hole in the hall wall that
    > leads into the box’s closet - it is at the floor.

    I wouldn't know about that but I can tell you don't jump in the middle of
    another thread.

    > You can open it, and in there is nothing (on the floor that is) unless
    > you stick your head into the hole and look up.

    Maybe I can, but I prefer not to open it.

    > I never did that so i donot know what you would see, however i guess it
    > would be the box’s bottom/feet who knows or the floor the box sits on with
    > a hole in it for the air vent?

    You never did that so you do not know what I would see?

    > The old heating unit used to run air conditioning when you switched the
    > thermostat one way and heat when you switched it the other way.

    Is your dog old?

    > For some reason it stopped running.

    I have no reason it stopped running.

    > People said it was because it was old (i took that personal like) and
    > also said the fins were rusted from the salt air - no one ever said
    > anything about the box, so i guess all ihave to do is plunk a compressor
    > whatever right down where the “old” one was and hook up the new one the
    > same way (after i find out what it was: split system or heat pump
    > whatever)

    People live in two different worlds. In one, you do what you're supposed to
    do; in the other, you have inner likes, desires and appetites.
    pcbutts1, Jul 24, 2005

  3. Harry

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Harry" <7957418@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote in message

    > Hello,
    > What is a "heat pump"?
    > All i can find on the Internet is talk about the compressor
    > of the heat pump, however they often show a picture of a
    > tall box-looking thingy standing along side of the
    > compressor, but never say a thing about it. I donot even
    > know the name of the "box". What is in the box? I know
    > the fan is in it, however i think there is something else in
    > there - scary- huh?
    > Here on this site
    > http://snipurl.com/ggc7
    > they talk about:
    >
    > “Heat Pumps, Split System, Electric Heat and AirConditioning”
    >
    > Then it gets confusing . . .
    >
    > “What is a “split system”“ may be a better question than
    > “What is a heat pump”. Does it mean a heat pump system
    > can be a one system and a split system also (in that the
    > compressor is in that mystery box or what all is in the
    > mystery box is in the compressor, thus making it a “one
    > system”), or does it mean a heat pump and a split system
    > are two entirely different animals, and if so what are they
    > in comparison to one another?
    >
    > I was told if i put gas heat in i will be in the same category
    > as a seller trying to sell a house with a swimming pool - it
    > is hard to sell,

    Where do *you* live? Antarctica? Out here, places with gas heat and swimming
    pools are the hottest thing on the market!

    Gas costs less and is more efficient than electricity. Swimming pools in
    this area are a big attraction.

    > so i guess i will have to put back the heat
    > pump - split system whatever. For 13 years ihave been
    > calling the thing that was drug out of here a “heat pump”,
    > but was it a heat pump? Its box is still here in the hall in a
    > sort of closet. In there is the central fan i use to circulate
    > air through the ducts. It runs off the now gone heat pump
    > whatever thermostat. Underneath is the air intake, which i
    > have highly filtered (two filters), one metal sort of filter i
    > paid more than i can remember (it was 3 figures) that fits
    > snug under the floor on which the box sits, and then i have
    > another one covering the screen at the hole in the hall wall
    > that leads into the box’s closet - it is at the floor. You can
    > open it, and in there is nothing (on the floor that is) unless
    > you stick your head into the hole and look up. I never did
    > that so i do not know what you would see, however i guess
    > it would be the box’s bottom/feet who knows or the floor
    > the box sits on with a hole in it for the air vent?.
    > The old heating unit used to run air conditioning when you
    > switched the thermostat one way and heat when you
    > switched it the other way. For some reason it stopped
    > running. People said it was because it was old (i took that
    > personal like) and also said the fins were rusted from the
    > salt air - no one ever said anything about the box, so i guess
    > all ihave to do is plunk a compressor whatever right down
    > where the “old” one was and hook up the new one the same
    > way (after i find out what it was: split system or heat pump
    > whatever)?

    Here's a basic definition for you:

    A heat pump is basically an air conditioner with a valve that allows it to
    operate in reverse. It removes heat from your house and shunts it outdoors
    in the summer, and removes heat from outdoor air and shunts it into your
    house in the winter. Because heat pumps do not actually create heat-they
    just move it from one place to another-heat pumps are more efficient than
    other forms of heating.
    www.sustainable-energy.vic.gov.au/seinfo/glossary/f-p.asp

    My system is a dual stage heat pump. The original furnace still exists and
    works. The heat pump was added as an a/c unit and supplements the furnace as
    well.

    The original system in your home was old, don't take it personal. Most of
    these systems will last an average of maybe 15 years before some major
    component fails and it's cheaper to replace than repair.

    Get a pro in there to tell you what you really need to do. Don't guess about
    it - all the parts have to be compatible with each other. Naming the parts
    isn't important. If you really want to get names for each part, ask the pro
    when he's there to examine the existing system. There's compressors, and
    coils, and relays, and condensors, and lots and lots of other parts. I doubt
    you're going to be able to hook it up yourself anyway.
    Toolman Tim, Jul 24, 2005
  4. Harry

    Guest

    "Harry" <7957418@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote:

    |>Hello,
    |>What is a "heat pump"?

    How a heat pump works.
    http://home.howstuffworks.com/question49.htm

    |>All i can find on the Internet is talk about the compressor
    |>of the heat pump, however they often show a picture of a
    |>tall box-looking thingy standing along side of the
    |>compressor, but never say a thing about it. I donot even
    |>know the name of the "box". What is in the box? I know
    |>the fan is in it, however i think there is something else in
    |>there - scary- huh?

    The "Box" contains the Fan, compressor, control electronics, and a
    coil. The coil taking up most of the space and giving the "box" it's
    shape.

    |>Here on this site
    |>http://snipurl.com/ggc7
    |>they talk about:
    |>
    |>?Heat Pumps, Split System, Electric Heat and AirConditioning?
    |>
    |>Then it gets confusing . . .
    |>
    |>?What is a ?split system?? may be a better question than

    It's reversible, The pump can pump heat or cold to your house
    depending upon the setting (season).

    |>?What is a heat pump?. Does it mean a heat pump system
    |>can be a one system and a split system also (in that the
    |>compressor is in that mystery box or what all is in the
    |>mystery box is in the compressor, thus making it a ?one
    |>system?), or does it mean a heat pump and a split system
    |>are two entirely different animals, and if so what are they
    |>in comparison to one another?

    Heat pumps compares to a heater and an air conditioner in one.

    |>I was told if i put gas heat in i will be in the same category
    |>as a seller trying to sell a house with a swimming pool - it
    |>is hard to sell, so i guess i will have to put back the heat
    |>pump - split system whatever. For 13 years ihave been
    |>calling the thing that was drug out of here a ?heat pump?,
    |>but was it a heat pump? Its box is still here in the hall in a
    |>sort of closet.

    A heat pump requires half of it to be set outside (mystery box) if
    yours was indoors it wasn't a heat pump.

    |> In there is the central fan i use to circulate
    |>air through the ducts. It runs off the now gone heat pump
    |>whatever thermostat. Underneath is the air intake, which i
    |>have highly filtered (two filters), one metal sort of filter i
    |>paid more than i can remember (it was 3 figures) that fits
    |>snug under the floor on which the box sits, and then i have
    |>another one covering the screen at the hole in the hall wall
    |>that leads into the box?s closet - it is at the floor. You can
    |>open it, and in there is nothing (on the floor that is) unless
    |>you stick your head into the hole and look up. I never did
    |>that so i donot know what you would see, however i guess
    |>it would be the box?s bottom/feet who knows or the floor
    |>the box sits on with a hole in it for the air vent?.
    |>The old heating unit used to run air conditioning when you
    |>switched the thermostat one way and heat when you
    |>switched it the other way. For some reason it stopped
    |>running. People said it was because it was old (i took that
    |>personal like) and also said the fins were rusted from the
    |>salt air - no one ever said anything about the box, so i guess
    |>all ihave to do is plunk a compressor whatever right down
    |>where the ?old? one was and hook up the new one the same
    |>way (after i find out what it was: split system or heat pump
    |>whatever)?

    The coil (mystery box) is used for heat transfer, the opposite end of
    this is a radiator that fits in the vent that another fan blows thru
    then out to the vents.
    --
    , Jul 24, 2005
  5. Harry

    anolgeek Guest

    "Harry" <7957418@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote in message

    Anyone that told you a heat pump is better than gas is an idiot. I sell,
    service and install heat and ac systems.

    Toolman Tim gave a good description of a heat pump. The valve he is talking
    about is called a reversing valve. You said you have two filters in your
    system, this is a no no, you only need one.

    A split system is a system that has an air handler inside (the thing that
    blows the hot or cold air through the vents) and a condensor outside (the
    thing that performs heat transfer when you run the system). On a heat pump,
    the condensor works when the thing is in heat or cool mode.

    A package system is all one unit, outside, on the roof or the ground. The
    air handler and the condensor are all in the same box.

    If you can describe the exact symptoms of why your system is not working I
    can tell you how to troubleshoot/fix the thing.
    anolgeek, Jul 24, 2005
  6. Harry

    anolgeek Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > A heat pump requires half of it to be set outside (mystery box) if
    > yours was indoors it wasn't a heat pump.

    This is partially incorrect. A heat pump can come in a split system or
    package system. if it is split then the air handler is inside and the
    condensor is outside, if it is a package unit then the whole thing is
    outside on the roof or ground.
    anolgeek, Jul 24, 2005
  7. Harry

    Max Wachtel Guest

    "anolgeek" <> wrote in

    > "Harry" <7957418@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote in message
    >

    > Anyone that told you a heat pump is better than gas is an idiot. I
    > sell, service and install heat and ac systems.
    >
    > Toolman Tim gave a good description of a heat pump. The valve he
    > is talking about is called a reversing valve. You said you have
    > two filters in your system, this is a no no, you only need one.
    >
    > A split system is a system that has an air handler inside (the
    > thing that blows the hot or cold air through the vents) and a
    > condensor outside (the thing that performs heat transfer when you
    > run the system). On a heat pump, the condensor works when the
    > thing is in heat or cool mode.
    >
    > A package system is all one unit, outside, on the roof or the
    > ground. The air handler and the condensor are all in the same box.
    >
    > If you can describe the exact symptoms of why your system is not
    > working I can tell you how to troubleshoot/fix the thing.

    One question-my buddy just bought a house with propane furnace and no
    AC-he was thinking about getting a heat pump instead of AC- would a
    AC be better than a heat pump?
    --
    "VISTA" is an acronym for the top five Windows problems: Viruses,
    Infections, Spyware, Trojans and Adware. -PanHandler
    Max Wachtel, Jul 24, 2005
  8. Harry

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Max Wachtel" <> wrote in message
    > "anolgeek" <> wrote in
    >

    >> "Harry" <7957418@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Anyone that told you a heat pump is better than gas is an idiot. I
    >> sell, service and install heat and ac systems.
    >>
    >> Toolman Tim gave a good description of a heat pump. The valve he
    >> is talking about is called a reversing valve. You said you have
    >> two filters in your system, this is a no no, you only need one.
    >>
    >> A split system is a system that has an air handler inside (the
    >> thing that blows the hot or cold air through the vents) and a
    >> condensor outside (the thing that performs heat transfer when you
    >> run the system). On a heat pump, the condensor works when the
    >> thing is in heat or cool mode.
    >>
    >> A package system is all one unit, outside, on the roof or the
    >> ground. The air handler and the condensor are all in the same box.
    >>
    >> If you can describe the exact symptoms of why your system is not
    >> working I can tell you how to troubleshoot/fix the thing.
    >>

    > One question-my buddy just bought a house with propane furnace and no
    > AC-he was thinking about getting a heat pump instead of AC- would a
    > AC be better than a heat pump?

    IIRC, when Mom checked into getting central air added to her home, they had
    a hat pump unit that integrated with the existing gas furnace.
    Toolman Tim, Jul 24, 2005
  9. Harry

    Rolf Guest

    On 24 Jul 2005 17:20:25 GMT, Max Wachtel wrote:
    <snip>
    > One question-my buddy just bought a house with propane furnace and no
    > AC-he was thinking about getting a heat pump instead of AC- would a
    > AC be better than a heat pump?

    Unless he lives in a part of the country that only needs occasional
    heating, like South Florida or the Gulf Coast, your buddy will be better
    off installing a straight AC unit instead of a heat pump. Propane heat is
    still cheaper than any form of electric heat in most places.
    Rolf, Jul 24, 2005
  10. Harry

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    > "Max Wachtel" <> wrote in message
    >> "anolgeek" <> wrote in
    >>

    >>> "Harry" <7957418@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> Anyone that told you a heat pump is better than gas is an idiot. I
    >>> sell, service and install heat and ac systems.
    >>>
    >>> Toolman Tim gave a good description of a heat pump. The valve he
    >>> is talking about is called a reversing valve. You said you have
    >>> two filters in your system, this is a no no, you only need one.
    >>>
    >>> A split system is a system that has an air handler inside (the
    >>> thing that blows the hot or cold air through the vents) and a
    >>> condensor outside (the thing that performs heat transfer when you
    >>> run the system). On a heat pump, the condensor works when the
    >>> thing is in heat or cool mode.
    >>>
    >>> A package system is all one unit, outside, on the roof or the
    >>> ground. The air handler and the condensor are all in the same box.
    >>>
    >>> If you can describe the exact symptoms of why your system is not
    >>> working I can tell you how to troubleshoot/fix the thing.
    >>>

    >> One question-my buddy just bought a house with propane furnace and no
    >> AC-he was thinking about getting a heat pump instead of AC- would a
    >> AC be better than a heat pump?
    >>

    > IIRC, when Mom checked into getting central air added to her home, they
    > had a hat pump unit that integrated with the existing gas furnace.

    errrr...'heat' pump <g>
    Toolman Tim, Jul 24, 2005
  11. Harry

    Max Wachtel Guest

    Rolf <> wrote in

    > On 24 Jul 2005 17:20:25 GMT, Max Wachtel wrote:
    > <snip>
    >> One question-my buddy just bought a house with propane furnace
    >> and no AC-he was thinking about getting a heat pump instead of
    >> AC- would a AC be better than a heat pump?

    > Unless he lives in a part of the country that only needs
    > occasional heating, like South Florida or the Gulf Coast, your
    > buddy will be better off installing a straight AC unit instead of
    > a heat pump. Propane heat is still cheaper than any form of
    > electric heat in most places.

    Thanks for that-he is in Ohio.
    -max

    Max Wachtel, Jul 24, 2005
  12. Harry

    Harry Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote:

    >"Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Max Wachtel" <> wrote in message
    >>> "anolgeek" <> wrote in

    >>> One question-my buddy just bought a house with propane furnace and no
    >>> AC-he was thinking about getting a heat pump instead of AC- would a
    >>> AC be better than a heat pump?
    >>>

    >> IIRC, when Mom checked into getting central air added to her home, they

    >> had a hat pump unit that integrated with the existing gas furnace.
    >>

    >errrr...'heat' pump <g>

    Hello,
    Can i install the new compressor to the old air handler. Or are they a matched
    set? The old compressor was hauled away and i donot know what it was. The
    new compressor i hope to be 5 ton and 12 SEER. The old air handler is as
    old as they get, but has a new fan i use for circulating air. Is there anything
    of a mechanical nature in the air-handler that can go bad, and is it fixable?

    Harry, Jul 24, 2005
  13. Harry

    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>"Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Max Wachtel" <> wrote in message

    >>> IIRC, when Mom checked into getting central air added to her home, they

    >>> had a hat pump unit that integrated with the existing gas furnace.
    >>>

    >>errrr...'heat' pump <g>
    >>

    > Hello,
    > Can i install the new compressor to the old air handler. Or are they a
    > matched
    > set? The old compressor was hauled away and i donot know what it was. The
    > new compressor i hope to be 5 ton and 12 SEER. The old air handler is as
    > old as they get, but has a new fan i use for circulating air. Is there
    > anything
    > of a mechanical nature in the air-handler that can go bad, and is it
    > fixable?

    It's possible that you can get them connected. But again, you'd have to have
    the advice of someone who can physically examine the existing unit(s).
    Toolman Tim, Jul 24, 2005
  14. Harry

    Harry Guest

    Rolf <> wrote:
    >On 24 Jul 2005 17:20:25 GMT, Max Wachtel wrote:
    ><snip>
    >> One question-my buddy just bought a house with propane furnace and no

    >> AC-he was thinking about getting a heat pump instead of AC- would a
    >> AC be better than a heat pump?

    >Unless he lives in a part of the country that only needs occasional
    >heating, like South Florida or the Gulf Coast, your buddy will be better
    >off installing a straight AC unit instead of a heat pump. Propane heat

    is
    >still cheaper than any form of electric heat in most places.

    Hello,
    I live in North East Florida, so we do need a good amount of heat, and i
    was told that selling a house with gas is like selling a house with a swimming
    pool: itis hard to sell. I did want to put in gas because of the electricity
    always going off due to weather conditions and the Elec. Co's weekend help,
    but iam getting ready to sell my house so will have to replace the old heat
    pump, plus hopefully the air handler is still ok, plus has a new fan installed,
    not to mention the thermostat is still good. If all is well, and by buying
    on the Internet, it will only cost me less than $1,500.00 installed, instead
    of the over $3,000.00 for the works everyone wants.

    Harry, Jul 24, 2005
  15. Harry

    anolgeek Guest

    "Max Wachtel" <> wrote in message

    > One question-my buddy just bought a house with propane furnace and no
    > AC-he was thinking about getting a heat pump instead of AC- would a
    > AC be better than a heat pump?

    First things first. A heat pump has ac. No heat pumps, heat pumps bad, heat
    pumps junk!

    If he bought a propane furnace then he needs to buy an evaporator coil, this
    is part of what makes the air cold. It goes on the top or bottom of an
    indoor furnace, depending on whether the furnace is an up flow or down flow.
    Next he will need a condensor. This is the part out side that everyone
    always thinks is the air conditioner. A "line set" then must be run between
    the outside unit and the indoor evaporator coil.

    Ballpark money for the evaporator coil, line set, condensor and labor can be
    anywhere from $1500.00 to $4000.00, the determining factors being tonnage,
    seer (seasonal energy effiency rating), and model.

    Amana, Goodman (an Amana product), Coleman, and Carrier are junk in my
    opinion.

    This is based on the fact that out of all the different brands I work on, I
    see these the most. If he wants a good unit then go with Trane or American
    Standard, which is also a Trane product. It all boils down to "you get what
    you pay for".
    anolgeek, Jul 24, 2005
  16. Harry

    anolgeek Guest

    > Hello,
    > I live in North East Florida, so we do need a good amount of heat, and i
    > was told that selling a house with gas is like selling a house with a
    > swimming
    > pool: itis hard to sell. I did want to put in gas because of the
    > electricity
    > always going off due to weather conditions and the Elec. Co's weekend
    > help,
    > but iam getting ready to sell my house so will have to replace the old
    > heat
    > pump, plus hopefully the air handler is still ok, plus has a new fan
    > installed,
    > not to mention the thermostat is still good. If all is well, and by buying
    > on the Internet, it will only cost me less than $1,500.00 installed,
    > instead
    > of the over $3,000.00 for the works everyone wants.

    Heat pump bad, very very bad. Gas good, very very good. Installing it
    yourself, bad, very very bad. Paying the 3000.00 and letting an expert do
    it, good, very very good. What, exactly, are you getting for 1500.00. Post a
    link please.
    anolgeek, Jul 24, 2005
  17. Harry

    Max Wachtel Guest

    "anolgeek" <> wrote in

    >No heat pumps, heat pumps bad, heat pumps junk!

    lol@anolgeek I am going to write that one down.

    I will tell him what you said!
    -max
    Max Wachtel, Jul 25, 2005