name in To: field in Outlook has gone walkabout.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Frank Clement-Lorford, Jul 12, 2007.

  1. Hi, I am using XP with Office 2003. with my hard drive partition into a C
    and D drive. I used to use Outlook as my email carrier, ( but I have this
    running from my D drive)which I preferred. However I downloaded a trail of
    basic Office 2007 and when I tried to use Outlook for my emails I had lost
    the office editor and gad to accept default editor. Anyway after trail and I
    noticed that a empty To: field had appeared in my email pane. When I send a
    email it does not say who it is from just the email address. Therefore I am
    was having to fill in the field itself with my name. at the moment I am
    using Outlook Express, but would prefer to use Outlook. Does any one know
    how I can recover this small problem I have tried repair to no avail

    appreciate any help out there

    Regards

    Frank

    Researching the family and history of Alexis Bénoist Soyer (1810-1858) and
    Nicolas Soyer (1863-1937). En recharchant l'histoire familiale d'Alexis
    Bénoist Soyer (1810-1858) et Nicolas Soyer (1863-1937).

    Please see web page: www.soyer.co.uk
    Frank Clement-Lorford, Jul 12, 2007

  2. Frank Clement-Lorford

    Mike Easter Guest

    Frank Clement-Lorford wrote:
    > I am using XP with Office 2003.

    So far, so good.

    > with my hard drive partition into
    > a C and D drive.

    OK.

    > I used to use Outlook as my email carrier,

    Not carrier. Agent, or client. OL is a MAPI client for the MS Office
    suite.

    > ( but I
    > have this running from my D drive)which I preferred.

    Hmmm Whatever.

    > However I
    > downloaded a trail of basic Office 2007

    That would be 'trial'. You downloaded and installed a trial v. of
    Office 2007. That sounds like a bad idea. The Office suites have a
    tendency to 'take over' anything they are installed into and kick other
    applications out of their positions in the registry -- like a cuckoo egg
    in another bird's nest. When the cuckoo hatches, it is bigger and
    pushes the other hatchlings out.

    > and when I tried to use
    > Outlook for my emails I had lost the office editor and gad to accept
    > default editor.

    This would be a place for someone who is familiar with the difference in
    the default editor and the office editor to grok.

    > Anyway after trail

    The trial period ended and you are left with a half b0rken system.

    > and I noticed that a empty To:
    > field had appeared in my email pane. When I send a email it does not
    > say who it is from just the email address.

    Those sentences conflict. A To has a Name and an email address, and the
    From has a name and an email address. You are ambiguous about whether
    the missing Name field applies to the To or the From.

    > Therefore I am was having
    > to fill in the field itself with my name.

    That would be the From.

    > at the moment I am using
    > Outlook Express, but would prefer to use Outlook.

    Then you are going to need to fix it. You haven't said whether or not
    you uninstalled the Office 2007 and you haven't said whether or not you
    have repaired the Office 2003

    > Does any one know
    > how I can recover this small problem I have tried repair to no avail

    Ah. There's repair. Did you first uninstall the 2007? I would
    uninstall 2007. If necessary, I would uninstall the 2003 and reinstall
    it. After that, it might take some registry repair if there is still
    damage.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jul 12, 2007

  3. Frank Clement-Lorford

    Vanguard Guest

    "Frank Clement-Lorford" wrote in message

    > Hi, I am using XP with Office 2003. with my hard drive partition into
    > a C and D drive. I used to use Outlook as my email carrier, ( but I
    > have this running from my D drive)which I preferred. However I
    > downloaded a trail of basic Office 2007 and when I tried to use
    > Outlook for my emails I had lost the office editor and gad to accept
    > default editor. Anyway after trail and I noticed that a empty To:
    > field had appeared in my email pane. When I send a email it does not
    > say who it is from just the email address. Therefore I am was having
    > to fill in the field itself with my name. at the moment I am using
    > Outlook Express, but would prefer to use Outlook. Does any one know
    > how I can recover this small problem I have tried repair to no avail

    Don't run both a trial and released version of Office. The trial takes
    over. In fact, when you are done with the trial and if you decide to
    buy the released version, you have to uninstall the trial before you
    install the released version. That means losing all config setup for
    the trial version.

    Uninstall the trial version. If the older released version doesn't
    start working, try using the Help -> Detect and Repair menu.
    Vanguard, Jul 12, 2007

    Frank Clement-Lorford, Jul 12, 2007
  5. Frank Clement-Lorford

    > Sorry my dyslexia got the better of me, I should have said From:

    Compose a new mail. In the new-mail window, use the View menu to re-add
    the From field. However, unless you are using an Exchange server,
    there's no point is showing this field. If using SMTP, use the Accounts
    toolbar button to select a different account than the default one
    through which to send your outbound message.
    Vanguard, Jul 12, 2007