    Since I own said domain name how can anyone "own a subdomain on this space
    by contacting any .name Accredited Registrar."? The domain name was
    unregistered before I took it.
    ioweojfiwei, Dec 18, 2004

  2. ioweojfiwei

    Mikey Guest

    Hi,
    Did you go and check WHO was/were the "Accredited Registrar(S)"???

    Mikey, Dec 18, 2004

  3. ioweojfiwei

    Mike Easter Guest

    ioweojfiwei wrote:
    > Welcome to .name - This domain name is shared between many people
    > with the same last name.

    I believe that.

    > The extension ".name" is a NEW Internet space exclusively for
    > individuals' and individuals' names. Many names on .name are shared,
    > like this one, and is therefore available to ANYONE. You can own a
    > subdomain on this space by contacting any .name Accredited Registrar.

    I think it is possible that if you own a 3rd level domain, you might
    /actually/ own it.

    > For a list of .name Accredited Registrars, please see the .name
    > Registry website on www.nic.name

    I don't find that site very helpful; I don't like its format/structure
    and I don't find its information very useful, especially about this
    issue of the limitations and 'meaning' of the 2nd level domainname vs
    the 3rd level domainname vs just having an vs owning
    3rdlevel.2ndlevel.name for 'your very own'.

    > Since I own said domain name

    I don't think you 'own' 2ndlevel.name -- I think you are 'sharing' it
    with all of the other 2ndlevel.name people who want it. I think you can
    have an address and keep it 'forever' - if you
    get it before someother YourName 2ndlevel.name gets it.

    > how can anyone "own a subdomain on this
    > space by contacting any .name Accredited Registrar."? The domain
    > name was unregistered before I took it.

    Yabbut, they didn't 'need it' until there became /one/ of you. Now they
    need it for you and all the other 2ndlevel/s who show up later.

    If you really want to own something more personally, you might look into
    the 3rdlevel domain and see if that will do what you want. Not all of
    the registrars for .name can sell 3rd levels, just the ones listed in
    this form: http://www.nic.name/registrarlist.html Listing of all .name
    Accredited Registrars and their offerings (in random order)

    I looked at one and they 'didn't know' they were selling .name
    registrations; now I'm going to look at another one who sells 3rdlevel.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Dec 18, 2004
  4. ioweojfiwei

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    >> Registry website on www.nic.name

    > I don't find that site very helpful;

    I found some better stuff there.

    Getting rid of some stupid frame management to make a link...:

    http://www.nic.name/bf_contact.html <snippages>
    Opening the second level on .name

    How do the third level and second levels interact? Is this a complicated
    rule for Registrars to implement.
    It is actually very simple and no rules governing availability should
    need to be implemented on the Registrars side. Availability checks
    through the Registry will work extremely simply for a Registrar. For a
    registrar registering a domain, the .name space has four "kinds" of
    objects:

    Available third level domains and email addresses (e.g.
    john.smith.name and )
    Unavailable third level domains and email addresses
    Available second level domains (e.g. abc.name)
    Unavailable second level domains

    So, you /can/ have the email address , but you can't
    have the email address name@3rdlevel.2ndlevel.name but you can have your
    chosen nameservers serving 3rdlevel.2ndlevel.name -- so you 'own it'.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Dec 18, 2004
  5. ioweojfiwei

    Richard Guest

    ioweojfiwei wrote:

    > Having registered a .name extenstion, the webpage now gives me this:

    > Welcome to .name - This domain name is shared between many people with the
    > same last name.

    > The extension ".name" is a NEW Internet space exclusively for individuals'
    > and individuals' names. Many names on .name are shared, like this one, and
    > is therefore available to ANYONE. You can own a subdomain on this space by
    > contacting any .name Accredited Registrar.

    > For a list of .name Accredited Registrars, please see the .name Registry
    > website on www.nic.name

    > Since I own said domain name how can anyone "own a subdomain on this space
    > by contacting any .name Accredited Registrar."? The domain name was
    > unregistered before I took it.

    The dot name tld is being offered much in the same way that the dot US
    originally setup.
    Your last name is already assumed a part of the DOT name hierarchy.
    That is, smith.name is not YOUR registered domain.
    In comparison to john.smith.name which IS your registered domain.
    If someone else comes along and wants john.smith.name, they can't get it.

    Whatever last name you plugin before .name, you will be taken to the same
    information page.

    In essence, the .name TLD is actually a two part affair.
    What you pay for is in effect, a subdomain.
    Richard, Dec 19, 2004