    what I can do in pro that I can't do in home version?

    considering taking up the pre-order special and if the home version is good
    enough for me. I just may get 3 instead of one pro and one home

    MSDN newsgroup, Jul 9, 2009

  2. MSDN newsgroup

    Carlos Guest

    RE: naive question: what is the primary difference bewteen w7 home pro

    Hi,
    Check here:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/compare-editions
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jul 9, 2009

  3. For most users who don't need to connect to a corporate network, Home
    Premium is the best option. Ultimate combines the features of the business
    oriented versions and the home versions. I have to run Ultimate, but that's
    because I run a full domain network at home. Otherwise, I wouldn't.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 9, 2009
  4. I see there is a beta of Virtual PC with XP support included. Is this the
    same as what is going to be on the Ultimate version of Win7 as I pre ordered
    the Home Prem. and it isn't on there. Is this what they talk about like we
    can add things we want as it don't come with something like the email
    program.
    =================

    David B. Mathews, Jul 9, 2009
  5. MSDN newsgroup

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    Hmmm. Doesn't Professional allow joining a network with a domain controller?

    Tom Ferguson

    Tom Ferguson, Jul 9, 2009
  6. Re: naive question: what is the primary difference bewteen w7 homepro and ultimate?

    Yes, it is listed on the chart as doing so.

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 9, 2009
  7. Re: naive question: what is the primary difference bewteen w7 homepro and ultimate?

    Virtual PC can be installed on Home Premium, but the Virtual XP for Win
    7 requires Professional or above.

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 9, 2009
  8. yes, but it's missing some other features I'd like to have, so I go with
    ultimate. But if it weren't for the domain requirement, I'd probably settle
    for home premium.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 10, 2009
  9. MSDN newsgroup

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    Whew. Had me nervous for a second. I had just ordered a few copies of Win 7
    Professional for my own boxes and one copy of Home Premium for my notebook.

    Thanks Bobby and Charlie.
    Tom Ferguson

    Tom Ferguson, Jul 10, 2009
  10. MSDN newsgroup

    Jim Guest

    Re: naive question: what is the primary difference bewteen w7 homepro and ultimate?

    I just wanted to add my two cents. I have two Vista Ultimate
    machines. One is a dual Opteron Tyan motherboard, where I had to go
    with Vista Ultimate 64-bit to support both processors the 8 GB of
    memory I had onboard, and to have all of the consumer-freiendly
    features of the Home Premium edition. The second is a Lenovo
    notebook, on which I also had Vista Ultimate 32-bit installed for some
    of the extra features. Now, because Windows 7 Professional would do
    everything I want to do, I will *still* have to pay *twice* as much
    money to buy Ultimate, if I don't want to go through an even more
    complex upgrade process. It soulds as if Microsoft has screwed me
    again. I'm sure those of you who work for Microsoft look at this
    differently, but that's how I feel as a consumer. This is the *third*
    64-bit Microsoft operating system I have run on the Tyan machine, so
    it is not as if Microsoft is not already making money from me. (I
    used XP Professional 64-bit first.)

    Jim

    Jim, Jul 11, 2009
  11. Thank you
    I don't really need domain stuff.
    however is it true that
    can't relocate profile path on Pro with a server or ultimate version of w7?

    MSDN newsgroup, Jul 12, 2009
  12. Re: naive question: what is the primary difference bewteen w7 home pro

    looks like Ultimate will make switching language easier.
    however with locale being US, Canada etc and english using unicode, windows
    explorer and notepad on non ulitmate version can still display other
    language mixed with English, right?
    I got that working in xp pro, and some version of OEM home edition of XP

    MSDN newsgroup, Jul 12, 2009