    of infection. This however appears odd. Has anyone else suffered from
    this, or have any theories?

    Thanks.

    Jon Watson, Oct 12, 2003

  2. Jon Watson

    Roy Jones Guest

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 18:42:58 +0100, Jon Watson wrote:

    > This is grinding to stand still when it tries to scan the IIS.INF file
    > within C:\Windows\Inf. (within a Win XP Home PC)
    >
    > Virus checker shows clear, and I am experiencing none of the usual symptoms
    > of infection. This however appears odd. Has anyone else suffered from
    > this, or have any theories?
    >
    > Thanks.

    One possibility is that the file is corrupt...that is, simply damaged and
    unreadable, or at least damaged enough that Stinger can't open it. I had
    the same thing happen this weekend. The file where it was hanging wasn't
    infected, but Stinger choked on it until I removed it from the system and
    replaced it with a clean copy.

    Try copying the file to a floppy or to some other directory on your PC. If
    it's corrupt and the OS can't read it, the system will give you an error
    and the copy will fail.

    Roy

    Roy Jones, Oct 12, 2003

  3. Jon Watson

    Jon Watson Guest

    "Roy Jones" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 18:42:58 +0100, Jon Watson wrote:
    >
    > > This is grinding to stand still when it tries to scan the IIS.INF file
    > > within C:\Windows\Inf. (within a Win XP Home PC)
    > >
    > > Virus checker shows clear, and I am experiencing none of the usual

    symptoms
    > > of infection. This however appears odd. Has anyone else suffered from
    > > this, or have any theories?
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    > One possibility is that the file is corrupt...that is, simply damaged and
    > unreadable, or at least damaged enough that Stinger can't open it. I had
    > the same thing happen this weekend. The file where it was hanging wasn't
    > infected, but Stinger choked on it until I removed it from the system and
    > replaced it with a clean copy.
    >
    > Try copying the file to a floppy or to some other directory on your PC. If
    > it's corrupt and the OS can't read it, the system will give you an error
    > and the copy will fail.
    >
    > Roy

    Ta.

    Jon Watson, Oct 12, 2003