    All these little yellow boxes keep popping up and stalling everything to let me know I'm connected or need to install the latest patches or whatever, etc. and frankly, it seems much slower than the Windows 98se on my other computer. There's even more wait-time between when I hit the Start and/or Program buttons and when it actually responds--does anyone know how I could speed things up a bit? It's an E-machine with Athlon 1800+, 256mb ram, and I swear it's slower than my Celeron 500 in response time--and such a NAG!! I've gone into msconfig and took about as much as I can out of the Start tab. Somethings, like Real Player keep coming back though. Any ideas?
    Sorry, I had to vent.
    Thanks.
    jeh, Feb 29, 2004

  2. jeh

    Wizard Guest

    1) double your RAM
    2) Install all the patches
    3) In real player, tell it to not use start functions
    4) Under performance tab switch to best performance

    Wizard, Feb 29, 2004

  3. jeh

    LarryLamb Guest

    jeh wrote:

    > Is it just me or does it seem that Windows XP is a nag of sorts?
    > All these little yellow boxes keep popping up and stalling everything
    > to let me know I'm connected or need to install the latest patches or
    > whatever, etc. and frankly, it seems much slower than the Windows 98se
    > on my other computer. There's even more wait-time between when I hit
    > the Start and/or Program buttons and when it actually responds--does
    > anyone know how I could speed things up a bit? It's an E-machine with
    > Athlon 1800+, 256mb ram, and I swear it's slower than my Celeron 500
    > in response time--and such a NAG!! I've gone into msconfig and took
    > about as much as I can out of the Start tab. Somethings, like Real
    > Player keep coming back though. Any ideas?
    > Sorry, I had to vent.
    > Thanks.

    Generally speaking automatic updates are quite a good idea and it means you
    PC will always have the most up to date security patches and bug-fixes. If
    you want to switch off automatic updates completely, or tell Windows to ask
    permission before accessing the Internet go to System in Control Panel,
    select the Automatic Update tab, change the Notification Settings as
    appropriate then click OK.

    Like previous versions of Windows a large number of programs and utilities
    are loaded during boot up, not all of them are necessary and they can gobble
    up memory and resources. One quick and easy way to find out what they are is
    to go to Run on the Start menu and type 'services.msc'. This will bring up a
    list of all of the programs that can run or are presently running in the
    background. To find out what each one does simply right click on it and this
    will display a dialogue box with a description and a 'Start Type' drop-down
    menu with Automatic, Manual or Disable options.
    LarryLamb, Feb 29, 2004
  4. jeh

    Thor Guest

    Quite simple to remedy. Go here:
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and use the tweak for
    disabling the balloon tips. Then go to your Windows system properties, and
    click the "advanced" tab, then under the "performance" section, click the
    "settings" button. Then *uncheck* all the items in the list *except* the
    last two (drop shadows and visual styles). This should speed up your UI
    response time quite a bit. If it's still not snappy enough for you, uncheck
    the last option as well, and you'll get the old-style windows UI like Win98,
    and that UI style will respond quicker than any other, but you sacrifice the
    new XP visual styles. Still, if it's UI responsiveness you want, that's what
    should give it to you. As for the realplayer crap, you'll need to delete or
    rename the file that it keeps loading in order to prevent it. RealOne Player
    is a bitch. You can't stop "realsched" any other way. It shouldn't preven
    you from using the RealOne player though. It didn;t on mine.

    Thor, Feb 29, 2004
  5. jeh

    jeh Guest

    A thousand thank yu's for all your tips.

    jeh, Mar 1, 2004
  6. jeh

    Michael-NC Guest

    http://xp-antispy.org

    Try that little proggie. It disables a lot of crap on XP in one shot.

    Michael-NC, Mar 1, 2004