Nagered hard drive;'(..

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by tony sayer, Jun 22, 2010.

  1. tony sayer

    tony sayer Guest

    Bought a new drive, Western digital IDE 250 GB back in March this year.

    Bl^^dy thing has gone tits up already..

    Most everything is backed up but there were a few things that were
    forgotten about and now they are a lot more important;!.

    There was a thread somewhere detailing some of the ways to recover data
    apart from commercial outfits costing a lot of money. PC won't recognise
    it apart from make and model number and thats as far as it goes..

    Anyone any suggestions?..

    Also anyone any suggestion as to a reliable make of drive as it seems to
    me there're all getting rather bad!..

    TIA...
    --
    Tony Sayer
    tony sayer, Jun 22, 2010

  2. I bought a device called EZ-CONNECT. Basically, it's an interface converter
    that takes an internal drive -- IDE 2.5", IDE 3.5", and SATA -- and turns it
    into a USB-based external drive.

    You need to have a bootable drive, but once you get that under control, the
    old drive can be read (most of the time) as a USB device. You can copy your
    files onto the new drive. You can't run applications from the old drive
    anymore, but once you get the information you want off of it, you can
    reformat it and install it as a Drive D, or whatever.

    Since you can get make and model from it, my guess is that you've lost the
    Boot Sector. If I'm right, then the converter device should be able to read
    it.

    I bought my EZConnect for $25-ish from Fry's Electronics. I'd guess that
    Best Buy would carry a competitive product, and I've seen my converter on
    eBay for less than I paid for mine.

    Jeff Strickland, Jun 22, 2010

  3. tony sayer

    Duncan Wood Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 21:03:03 +0100, tony sayer <> wrote:

    > Bought a new drive, Western digital IDE 250 GB back in March this year.
    >
    > Bl^^dy thing has gone tits up already..
    >
    > Most everything is backed up but there were a few things that were
    > forgotten about and now they are a lot more important;!.
    >
    > There was a thread somewhere detailing some of the ways to recover data
    > apart from commercial outfits costing a lot of money. PC won't recognise
    > it apart from make and model number and thats as far as it goes..
    >
    > Anyone any suggestions?..
    >
    > Also anyone any suggestion as to a reliable make of drive as it seems to
    > me there're all getting rather bad!..
    >

    > TIA...

    Connect it with an external connecter & try keeping it cold, I've salvaged
    data from HDs before now by putting them in the freezer\ in a plastic bag
    & then connecting them up & retreiving the data from below a bag of frozen
    peas, but it all depends on why it's died.
    --
    Duncan Wood
    Duncan Wood, Jun 22, 2010
  4. tony sayer

    Toby Guest

    "Duncan Wood" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 21:03:03 +0100, tony sayer <> wrote:
    >

    >> Bought a new drive, Western digital IDE 250 GB back in March this year.
    >>
    >> Bl^^dy thing has gone tits up already..
    >>
    >> Most everything is backed up but there were a few things that were
    >> forgotten about and now they are a lot more important;!.
    >>
    >> There was a thread somewhere detailing some of the ways to recover data
    >> apart from commercial outfits costing a lot of money. PC won't recognise
    >> it apart from make and model number and thats as far as it goes..
    >>
    >> Anyone any suggestions?..
    >>
    >> Also anyone any suggestion as to a reliable make of drive as it seems to
    >> me there're all getting rather bad!..
    >>

    >> TIA...

    > Connect it with an external connecter & try keeping it cold, I've salvaged
    > data from HDs before now by putting them in the freezer\ in a plastic bag
    > & then connecting them up & retreiving the data from below a bag of frozen
    > peas, but it all depends on why it's died.
    > --
    > Duncan Wood

    Same here, expect I used a laptop and kept the hard disk IN the freezer when
    it was running!

    Still had to stop and wait a bit for it to cool a few times more before
    frantically transferring another batch of data in order of importance!

    Toby...
    Toby, Jun 22, 2010
  5. tony sayer

    Matty F Guest

    On Jun 23, 9:54 am, "Toby" <postmas...@127.0.0.1.invalid> wrote:
    > "Duncan Wood" <> wrote in message

    > > On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 21:03:03 +0100, tony sayer <> wrote:

    > >> Bought a new drive, Western digital IDE 250 GB back in March this year.

    > >> Bl^^dy thing has gone tits up already..

    > >> Most everything is backed up but there were a few things that were
    > >> forgotten about and now they are a lot more important;!.

    > >> There was a thread somewhere detailing some of the ways to recover data
    > >> apart from commercial outfits costing a lot of money. PC won't recognise
    > >> it apart from make and model number and thats as far as it goes..

    > >> Anyone any suggestions?..

    > >> Also anyone any suggestion as to a reliable make of drive as it seems to
    > >> me there're all getting rather bad!..

    > >> TIA...

    > > Connect it with an external connecter & try keeping it cold, I've salvaged
    > > data from HDs before now by putting them in the freezer\ in a plastic bag
    > > & then connecting them up & retreiving the data from below a bag of frozen
    > > peas, but it all depends on why it's died.
    > > --
    > > Duncan Wood

    > Same here, expect I used a laptop and kept the hard disk IN the freezer when
    > it was running!
    >
    > Still had to stop and wait a bit for it to cool a few times more before
    > frantically transferring another batch of data in order of importance!

    I suspect that using the drive in a different orientation (i.e. upside
    down or on its edge) may help it work. It took us about four freezes
    to get all the data, since we didn't have long enough cables. After a
    few minutes of running the drive heats up again.
    Matty F, Jun 22, 2010
  6. tony sayer

    Paul Bird Guest

    tony sayer wrote:

    > Also anyone any suggestion as to a reliable make of drive as it seems to
    > me there're all getting rather bad!..

    Seagate Barracudas have done me well for the last five or six years but
    as usual YMMV. And the Seagate Momentus, the 2.5" version seems to
    withstand knocks and general abuse having been used as a USB portable in
    daily use.

    PB
    Paul Bird, Jun 22, 2010
  7. tony sayer

    John Murphy Guest

    On 22 June, 21:03, tony sayer <> wrote:
    > Bought a new drive, Western digital IDE 250 GB back in March this year.
    >
    > Bl^^dy thing has gone tits up already..
    >
    > Most everything is backed up but there were a few things that were
    > forgotten about and now they are a lot more important;!.
    >
    > There was a thread somewhere detailing some of the ways to recover data
    > apart from commercial outfits costing a lot of money. PC won't recognise
    > it apart from make and model number and thats as far as it goes..
    >
    > Anyone any suggestions?..
    >
    > Also anyone any suggestion as to a reliable make of drive as it seems to
    > me there're all getting rather bad!..
    >
    > TIA...
    > --
    > Tony Sayer

    See freeware, PC World:

    http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/collection/collid,1295-order,1-c,downloads/files.html

    PC world is very picky! (You put the software on the master, of
    course!)

    1st. You could now run the dud as a slave (2nd drive, say) to start
    with and barring severe mech. failure, you should see things.
    2nd. You can also buy a cradle and plug the dud into it, then plug the
    cradle (normally plug and play) into a USB port on another computer,
    search for the port, then click. Some, I think, come with software CD
    or DVD, maybe including recovery tools. Cradle is a good investment,
    too, because you can use old HDs as mass storage devices!
    3rd. If all else fails, take it to the local Modern Geek shop or a uni
    comp. club. Geeks have no respect for recalcitrant HDs and consider it
    a personal affront if they fail to yield up the data! Even if a demon
    is present, they'd probably cast a spell on it telling it to be on its
    way. The Geeks will probably want a little bit of money - but nothing
    swingeing.

    If you are Faustian, the demon will doubtless want your soul, but
    otherwise settle for that of a caterpillar, but if the caterpillar
    won't give it a contract, shurg its shoulders, saying, 'Shucks, guys,
    nothin' for me - as usual!'
    --
    Harbinger
    John Murphy, Jun 22, 2010
  8. tony sayer

    NT Guest

    On Jun 22, 9:03 pm, tony sayer <> wrote:
    > Bought a new drive, Western digital IDE 250 GB back in March this year.
    >
    > Bl^^dy thing has gone tits up already..
    >
    > Most everything is backed up but there were a few things that were
    > forgotten about and now they are a lot more important;!.
    >
    > There was a thread somewhere detailing some of the ways to recover data
    > apart from commercial outfits costing a lot of money. PC won't recognise
    > it apart from make and model number and thats as far as it goes..
    >
    > Anyone any suggestions?..
    >
    > Also anyone any suggestion as to a reliable make of drive as it seems to
    > me there're all getting rather bad!..
    >
    > TIA...

    Nearly all new drives have MTTF specs, those are the key. There have
    been occasional subpar models, but that's true of any brand.

    NT
    NT, Jun 23, 2010
  9. tony sayer

    JD Guest

    On 22/06/2010 9:03 PM, tony sayer wrote:

    > Bought a new drive, Western digital IDE 250 GB back in March this year.
    >
    > Bl^^dy thing has gone tits up already..
    >
    > Most everything is backed up but there were a few things that were
    > forgotten about and now they are a lot more important;!.
    >
    > There was a thread somewhere detailing some of the ways to recover data
    > apart from commercial outfits costing a lot of money. PC won't recognise
    > it apart from make and model number and thats as far as it goes..
    >
    > Anyone any suggestions?..

    There are a few good toos for data recovery:

    Parted Magic http://partedmagic.com which is free and has varius hard
    drive tools on it, the one you will want is TestDisk (system tools >
    testdisk)

    UBCD (Ultimate boot CD) http://www.ultimatebootcd.com Also free pretty
    much the same as Parted magic with a few more tools on it again TestDisk
    is the tool you want (HDD > TestDisk)

    GatDataBack FAT/NTFS http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm
    NOT free $70-$80 but it is very good if the drive still physically works
    then this will more than likely get your stuff back

    Spinrite http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm NOT FREE $89, this is a hard
    drive recovery and maintenance program a lot of people swear by it,
    however I find it takes far to long.

    if your drive still works, and by works I mean it physically spins and
    is recognised by the computer then try one of those tools if its
    something simple like a boot sector problem or a corrupt system file as
    a lot of the other posters suggested by removing the drive and putting
    it on a working PC you should be able to copy the files off.

    > Also anyone any suggestion as to a reliable make of drive as it seems to
    > me there're all getting rather bad!..
    >

    > TIA...

    I actually like WD drives I have 6 of them sitting on my desk right now,
    Maxitors seem to fail for me, if you want to wade through this site
    www.storagereview.com it contains a lot of information on hard drives
    and reliability.

    Oh I should add if the data is important to you it is wise to make a
    clone/img of the disk and work on the image, or find your local computer
    guy.

    JD
    JD, Jun 23, 2010
  10. "tony sayer" <> wrote in message

    > Bought a new drive, Western digital IDE 250 GB back in March this year.
    >
    > Bl^^dy thing has gone tits up already..
    >
    > Most everything is backed up but there were a few things that were
    > forgotten about and now they are a lot more important;!.
    >
    > There was a thread somewhere detailing some of the ways to recover data
    > apart from commercial outfits costing a lot of money. PC won't recognise
    > it apart from make and model number and thats as far as it goes..
    >
    > Anyone any suggestions?..

    Just checking - can you boot the PC from another drive or for example a
    Linux CD?
    If so, can you still not see the contents of the drive?

    Cheers

    Dave R

    Helmuth von Moltke the Elder
    David WE Roberts, Jun 23, 2010
  11. "Ben C" <> wrote in message
    > On 2010-06-22, Jon Green <> wrote:
    >> On 22/06/2010 23:52, Paul Bird wrote:
    >>> Seagate Barracudas have done me well for the last five or six years

    >> Me three. I populate RAIDs with them. Out of eight drives, I've only
    >> had to replace one. Even that one hadn't broken, but was starting to
    >> raise SMART warnings, so I dropped in a replacement for safety's sake.

    > The whole point of a RAID is you populate it with eight _different_
    > drives, not 8 identical ones!

    Citation?

    The RIAD arrays I have worked with in the past have all had identical
    drives.
    This makes spare part holdings much more simple, apart from anything else.
    Any drive fails and you immediately replace it with another one of the same
    specification.

    Why would you want different specification drives?

    The original point of RAID was to overcome the problems of large amounts of
    storage where the MTBF of the discs almost guaranteed data loss over time.

    Redundant Array of Inexpensive Discs was impressive in a production
    environment, apart from the fact that the discs were anything but
    inexpensive.

    David WE Roberts, Jun 23, 2010
  12. tony sayer

    Man at B&Q Guest

    On Jun 23, 8:40 am, Ben C <> wrote:
    > On 2010-06-22, Jon Green <> wrote:
    >
    > > On 22/06/2010 23:52, Paul Bird wrote:
    > >> Seagate Barracudas have done me well for the last five or six years

    > > Me three.  I populate RAIDs with them.  Out of eight drives, I've only
    > > had to replace one.  Even that one hadn't broken, but was starting to
    > > raise SMART warnings, so I dropped in a replacement for safety's sake.

    > The whole point of a RAID is you populate it with eight _different_
    > drives, not 8 identical ones!

    Where did you pick up that little nugget?

    MBQ
    Man at B&Q, Jun 23, 2010
  13. tony sayer

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <>, Jon
    Green <> scribeth thus
    >On 22/06/2010 23:52, Paul Bird wrote:
    >> Seagate Barracudas have done me well for the last five or six years

    >Me three. I populate RAIDs with them. Out of eight drives, I've only
    >had to replace one. Even that one hadn't broken, but was starting to
    >raise SMART warnings, so I dropped in a replacement for safety's sake.
    >
    >Jon

    Had 2 Seagate Barracuda's go down in the lest year or so . Have some
    older Seagate drives and they just keep on spinnin;!...

    --
    Tony Sayer
    tony sayer, Jun 23, 2010
  14. tony sayer

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <>, David WE Roberts
    <> scribeth thus

    >"tony sayer" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Bought a new drive, Western digital IDE 250 GB back in March this year.
    >>
    >> Bl^^dy thing has gone tits up already..
    >>
    >> Most everything is backed up but there were a few things that were
    >> forgotten about and now they are a lot more important;!.
    >>
    >> There was a thread somewhere detailing some of the ways to recover data
    >> apart from commercial outfits costing a lot of money. PC won't recognise
    >> it apart from make and model number and thats as far as it goes..
    >>
    >> Anyone any suggestions?..

    >Just checking - can you boot the PC from another drive or for example a
    >Linux CD?
    >If so, can you still not see the contents of the drive?
    >
    >Cheers
    >
    >Dave R

    Seems a mate of mine is quite good at this sot of thing;) Seems we can
    read data off it 'tho there are a lot of errors reported but we'll see
    where that goes..

    --
    Tony Sayer
    tony sayer, Jun 23, 2010
  15. tony sayer

    Roland Perry Guest

    In message <>, at
    08:23:48 on Wed, 23 Jun 2010, Jon Green <> remarked:
    >> Don't think a reformat will fix them either as some on t'internet think.

    >A low level reformat can sometimes help, but IME it usually only delays
    >the inevitable.

    It won't actually write a "low level" format pattern to the drive, but
    will serve to mark some sectors as "bad". However, it won't stop the rot
    spreading.
    --
    Roland Perry
    Roland Perry, Jun 23, 2010
  16. tony sayer

    Roland Perry Guest

    In message <>, at 02:40:01 on
    Wed, 23 Jun 2010, Ben C <> remarked:

    >The whole point of a RAID is you populate it with eight _different_
    >drives, not 8 identical ones!

    Nonsense. You *can* populate some controllers like that, but it's not
    particularly useful unless you are extremely under-funded [1].

    [1] I have one such setup, because I couldn't cheaply/easily source an
    identical drive after one of the originals failed.
    --
    Roland Perry
    Roland Perry, Jun 23, 2010
  17. tony sayer

    Nutkey Guest

    On Jun 22, 9:03 pm, tony sayer <> wrote:
    > Bought a new drive, Western digital IDE 250 GB back in March this year.
    >
    > Bl^^dy thing has gone tits up already..
    >
    > Most everything is backed up but there were a few things that were
    > forgotten about and now they are a lot more important;!.
    >
    > There was a thread somewhere detailing some of the ways to recover data
    > apart from commercial outfits costing a lot of money. PC won't recognise
    > it apart from make and model number and thats as far as it goes..
    >
    > Anyone any suggestions?..

    I had complete success on a hard drive with a burned out (literally)
    controller board by simply purchasing an *identical* model and
    swapping the new controller in.

    Which was lucky. It had 4 years of photos on, and I burned it out in
    the process of backing it up (dodgy psu on an external drive casing).
    Nutkey, Jun 23, 2010
  18. tony sayer

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 23 June, 11:38, "dennis@home" <-ass.net>
    wrote:

    > Ah well that was probably in the days of proper RAIDs.
    > The ones where it was done bitwise across the disks and all the spindles and
    > heads were synchronised.

    RAID has _never_ synchronised heads or spindles. The whole point of
    RAID is that it's based on inexpensive commodity disk drives, using
    inexpensive commodity interfaces. They just store blocks, the RAID
    controller doesn't see this in terms of heads or tracks.

    > They were expensive.

    RAID shouldn't be expensive (that's rather the point). Many SAN
    solutions ended up that way, but that has more to do with idiocy above
    the level of RAID.
    Andy Dingley, Jun 23, 2010
  19. Nutkey wrote:
    > On Jun 22, 9:03 pm, tony sayer <> wrote:
    >> Bought a new drive, Western digital IDE 250 GB back in March this year.
    >>
    >> Bl^^dy thing has gone tits up already..
    >>
    >> Most everything is backed up but there were a few things that were
    >> forgotten about and now they are a lot more important;!.
    >>
    >> There was a thread somewhere detailing some of the ways to recover data
    >> apart from commercial outfits costing a lot of money. PC won't recognise
    >> it apart from make and model number and thats as far as it goes..
    >>
    >> Anyone any suggestions?..

    > I had complete success on a hard drive with a burned out (literally)
    > controller board by simply purchasing an *identical* model and
    > swapping the new controller in.
    >
    > Which was lucky. It had 4 years of photos on, and I burned it out in
    > the process of backing it up (dodgy psu on an external drive casing).

    yeah. I've swappped electronics in the same circumstances.

    you only do that once..next time, the backup works.
    The Natural Philosopher, Jun 23, 2010
  20. tony sayer

    Bob Eager Guest

    On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 11:38:18 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

    > "David WE Roberts" <> wrote in message
    >

    >> Redundant Array of Inexpensive Discs was impressive in a production
    >> environment, apart from the fact that the discs were anything but
    >> inexpensive.

    > Ah well that was probably in the days of proper RAIDs. The ones where it
    > was done bitwise across the disks and all the spindles and heads were
    > synchronised.
    > They were expensive.

    The it wouldn't have been called RAID, would it? Disk array, yes,
    RAID...I think not.

    --
    Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
    http://www.mirrorservice.org