    tia,

    TB in Austin
    remove NOSPAM to reply via email
    T.B., Aug 19, 2005

  2. On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 02:32:25 -0500, "T.B."
    <> wrote:

    >I am new to the world of burning DVDs and just tried ripping and burning my
    >1st DVD.
    >
    >I used 123 DVD Copy trial version to rip the DVD, and then used TMPGEnc DVD
    >Author for authoring. And then used Nero Burning ROM to burn the actual
    >DVD.

    If you're just copying a DVD use DVDshrink or DVD2one, you don't have
    to rerender or reauthor.

    >All went well, and the DVD plays, however only the previews have
    >Audio/Sound. The Main Feature does not, but the video is fine.
    >
    >Where did I go wrong? I don't want to make any more coasters:)

    You can preview a DVD before burning. If it's an ISO open the virtual
    image with Daemon-tools (or Nero's virtual drive, but that one can
    cause problems) then play with PowerDVd or WinDVD. If they're files
    then just go to the video_TS with PowerDVD or the root of the DVD
    structure with WinDVD.

    ... Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Aug 19, 2005

  3. T.B.

    JayCee Guest

    T.B. wrote:
    > I am new to the world of burning DVDs and just tried ripping and burning my
    > 1st DVD.
    >
    > I used 123 DVD Copy trial version to rip the DVD, and then used TMPGEnc DVD
    > Author for authoring. And then used Nero Burning ROM to burn the actual
    > DVD.
    >
    > All went well, and the DVD plays, however only the previews have
    > Audio/Sound. The Main Feature does not, but the video is fine.
    >
    > Where did I go wrong? I don't want to make any more coasters:)
    >
    > tia,
    >
    > TB in Austin
    > remove NOSPAM to reply via email

    First of all, what kind of DVDs are you copying? Are you copying movies
    or television shows? If so, what you are doing is ILLEGAL. Do not make
    illegal copies.
    JayCee, Aug 19, 2005
  4. T.B.

    T.B. Guest

    yeah, ok officer. btw-It is legal to make copies of DVDs you own for your
    personal use. You cannot copy DVDs in order to sell or give away copies, or
    for any commercial purpose. I am LEGALLY copying dvds I purchased and own;
    so step off of your little soapbox.

    thanks for the help anyway steve.
    I think i got it figured out.

    TB

    T.B., Aug 21, 2005
  5. T.B.

    Jeff Rife Guest

    T.B. () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > yeah, ok officer. btw-It is legal to make copies of DVDs you own for your
    > personal use.

    Although I don't have any problem with what you are doing, your statement
    isn't true. It's not yet false for sure, either.

    Until a court case comes up where an individual is charged with violating
    the "no circumvention" part of copyright law (which the DMCA added) *and*
    that individual was only copying for personal use, we won't know exactly
    where we stand.

    Personally, I think "fair use" gives us the right to make such copies, but
    I'm not a judge, and when it comes to technology, judges have made some
    stupendously bad decisions.

    --
    Jeff Rife |
    Jeff Rife, Aug 21, 2005
  6. T.B.

    Biz Guest

    "T.B." <> wrote in message
    > yeah, ok officer. btw-It is legal to make copies of DVDs you own for your
    > personal use.

    Actually in the US it is NOT legal under current law according to the DMCA.
    Until it is overturned or revoked, no amount of whining and changes that
    fact.
    I dont know what country you are in, but if its the US you are completely
    mis-informed.
    Biz, Aug 21, 2005
  7. T.B.

    JayCee Guest

    T.B. wrote:
    > yeah, ok officer. btw-It is legal to make copies of DVDs you own for your
    > personal use. You cannot copy DVDs in order to sell or give away copies, or
    > for any commercial purpose. I am LEGALLY copying dvds I purchased and own;
    > so step off of your little soapbox.
    >
    > thanks for the help anyway steve.
    > I think i got it figured out.
    >
    > TB

    WRONG. It is still illegal to make copies. That's the reason for the
    Macromedia protection (and other methods of protection). And when you
    make your ILLEGAL copy you have to use a program like DVD Decrypter to
    remove this protection, an ILLEGAL act. You really need to do the right
    thing and stop doing this.
    JayCee, Aug 21, 2005
  8. T.B.

    FAQmeister Guest

    "JayCee" <> wrote in message
    > T.B. wrote:
    >> yeah, ok officer. btw-It is legal to make copies of DVDs you own
    >> for your personal use. You cannot copy DVDs in order to sell or give
    >> away copies, or for any commercial purpose. I am LEGALLY copying
    >> dvds I purchased and own; so step off of your little soapbox.
    >>
    >> thanks for the help anyway steve.
    >> I think i got it figured out.
    >>
    >> TB

    > WRONG. It is still illegal to make copies. That's the reason for the
    > Macromedia protection (and other methods of protection). And when you
    > make your ILLEGAL copy you have to use a program like DVD Decrypter to
    > remove this protection, an ILLEGAL act. You really need to do the
    > right thing and stop doing this.

    Yeah, so it's against the law.
    BFD

    Breaking a law that was bought and paid for by the movie studios to
    protect their economic interests at the expense of people's fair-use and
    back-up rights is not anything to get excited over and it certainly
    doesn't justify this endless harping on it.

    Anyone who claims they never break any laws is a liar. EVERYONE breaks
    the law at least once in a while. There are so many that it's literally
    impossible to avoid it and there are also a lot of bad laws that should
    be broken. It's called civil disobedience and you are not required to
    turn yourself in or go to jail just because you decide you're not going
    to obey bad laws.

    And anyone who says if you don't like the law you should get it changed
    is living in some fantasy world where such things are possible. Back
    here on planet Earth, it's nearly impossible to get bad laws changed
    when there are corporations who profit from them and have an interest in
    keeping them.

    You talk about doing the "right thing" as if that's important. When
    politicians and big corporations start doing the "right thing" then the
    little people might be obligated to do the same. In the mean time,
    copying a few DVDs isn't going to lead to the fall of Western
    civilization.

    These constant self-righteous cries of "It's illegal and the FBI is
    gonna get you" are getting really tiresome. No one is going to stop
    copying their DVDs just because you tell them it's wrong, so how about
    giving it a rest for a while.
    --
    The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
    http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html
    FAQmeister, Aug 21, 2005
  9. T.B.

    Large Farva Guest

    "T.B." <> wrote in message
    > yeah, ok officer. btw-It is legal to make copies of DVDs you own for your
    > personal use. You cannot copy DVDs in order to sell or give away copies,
    > or
    > for any commercial purpose. I am LEGALLY copying dvds I purchased and
    > own;
    > so step off of your little soapbox.

    Actually, you're wrong. It's illegal to break the encryption, whether you
    bought it or not.
    Large Farva, Aug 21, 2005
  10. T.B.

    Biz Guest

    "JayCee" <> wrote in message

    > WRONG. It is still illegal to make copies. That's the reason for the
    > Macromedia protection (and other methods of protection).

    I believe you are trying to refer to macrovision, macromedia is a something
    entirely different. Macrovision is an anlog form of copy protection, its
    not the same as what we are talking about in the context of this thread with
    CSS/CPPM encryption on digital media...
    Biz, Aug 22, 2005
  11. T.B.

    Mark Spatny Guest

    On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 18:03:17 GMT, JayCee <>
    wrote:

    >WRONG. It is still illegal to make copies. That's the reason for the
    >Macromedia protection

    Macromedia protection? Does that come with Flash, Dreamweaver, or
    Director?
    Mark Spatny, Aug 22, 2005
  12. T.B.

    Harlan^Man Guest

    I agree with the other fellow there, I too am a newbie at backing up my
    personal collection of DVD's and after making 2 coasters, I found that using
    DVDshrink is probably the best thing, be sure nero is installed though. And
    also install DVD Decrypter

    I do as follows:

    1. Open the disk in DVD Shrink.
    2. Click the main disk in left window, remove unwanted audio, spanish,
    french, english, whatever you don't need. DO NOT remove tracks you are
    unsure what they are.
    3. Click "Back-up".
    4. All the standard options are fine, I do choose to create an .iso file on
    my Harddrive which will take about 4-5GB. Then it automatically burns it
    to your DVD-r or whatever once ripped.

    I did it like this and backed up my entire Season 1 of Alias (6DVD's worth)
    No quality issues, all menus work great too!!!!

    Here is where I got my info from....

    http://www.dvdshrink.info/fulldisk_basic.php

    Hope this helps you out,
    Harlan^Man
    Harlan^Man, Aug 25, 2005
  13. T.B.

    Bob Guest

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 01:55:13 GMT, "Harlan^Man" <Harlan^>
    wrote:

    >2. Click the main disk in left window, remove unwanted audio, spanish,
    > french, english, whatever you don't need.

    You can set that automatically.

    >3. Click "Back-up".
    >4. All the standard options are fine, I do choose to create an .iso file on
    > my Harddrive which will take about 4-5GB.

    It needs to be the size of your blank DVD - more like 4,700 MB.
    Bob, Aug 25, 2005
  14. T.B.

    JayCee Guest

    Harlan^Man wrote:
    > I did it like this and backed up my entire Season 1 of Alias (6DVD's worth)
    > No quality issues, all menus work great too!!!!

    You mean you stole the entire season 1 of Alias ...
    JayCee, Aug 26, 2005
  15. T.B.

    T.B. Guest

    thanks harlan man...