    opinion.

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Mar 8, 2007

  2. Frank ess wrote:
    > It does transfers from memory cards and makes slide shows with
    > "non-cheesy" music as well as VHS, 8mm, and Hi-8 movie transfers to DVD
    > format of your choice (except DVD-RW).
    > http://preview.tinyurl.com/yrtqdo
    >
    > Anyone out there have experience with this thing? Experience. I know
    > there will be opinions. That's OK, too, but I'd like experienced opinion.

    I've had one since they came out. I use it as a portable DVD recorder
    for my entertainment center as well as a DVD burner for my desktop. The
    only problem is that it senses copy protected content from my cable
    provider's DVR and will not record it to DVD. Unfortunately this
    includes many newer movies on most cable channels and anything on The
    Food Network (I am an Alton Brown Good Eats fan). I get around this by
    recording from my DVR to VHS tape. From there I can record to DVD Direct
    as it only senses digital copyright protection.

    If you have specific questions, let me know.

    --
    - Barry

    Barry L. Wallis, Mar 9, 2007

  3. Frank ess

    Frank ess Guest

    Barry L. Wallis wrote:
    > Frank ess wrote:
    >> It does transfers from memory cards and makes slide shows with
    >> "non-cheesy" music as well as VHS, 8mm, and Hi-8 movie transfers to
    >> DVD format of your choice (except DVD-RW).
    >> http://preview.tinyurl.com/yrtqdo
    >>
    >> Anyone out there have experience with this thing? Experience. I
    >> know
    >> there will be opinions. That's OK, too, but I'd like experienced
    >> opinion.

    > I've had one since they came out. I use it as a portable DVD
    > recorder
    > for my entertainment center as well as a DVD burner for my desktop.
    > The only problem is that it senses copy protected content from my
    > cable provider's DVR and will not record it to DVD. Unfortunately
    > this
    > includes many newer movies on most cable channels and anything on
    > The
    > Food Network (I am an Alton Brown Good Eats fan). I get around this
    > by
    > recording from my DVR to VHS tape. From there I can record to DVD
    > Direct as it only senses digital copyright protection.
    >
    > If you have specific questions, let me know.

    Thank you, Barry.

    I'm about to use a gift certificate to get one. The only 'horror
    stories' I've seen have to do with a two-hour 'burn' of a VHS tape
    that failed. Any experiences like that? Recommend a particular brand
    or format of DVD blanks?

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Mar 9, 2007
  4. Frank ess

    Guy Guest

    Barry L. Wallis wrote:
    > Frank ess wrote:
    >> It does transfers from memory cards and makes slide shows with
    >> "non-cheesy" music as well as VHS, 8mm, and Hi-8 movie transfers to
    >> DVD format of your choice (except DVD-RW).
    >> http://preview.tinyurl.com/yrtqdo
    >>
    >> Anyone out there have experience with this thing? Experience. I know
    >> there will be opinions. That's OK, too, but I'd like experienced opinion.
    >>

    > I've had one since they came out. I use it as a portable DVD recorder
    > for my entertainment center as well as a DVD burner for my desktop. The
    > only problem is that it senses copy protected content from my cable
    > provider's DVR and will not record it to DVD. Unfortunately this
    > includes many newer movies on most cable channels and anything on The
    > Food Network (I am an Alton Brown Good Eats fan). I get around this by
    > recording from my DVR to VHS tape. From there I can record to DVD Direct
    > as it only senses digital copyright protection.
    >
    > If you have specific questions, let me know.

    Have had any audio sync problems with long recordings? Last time I
    tried this with the computer I ended up noticeably out of sync over 1/2
    hour and very bad over 2 hours. -Guy

    Guy, Mar 9, 2007
  5. Frank ess wrote:
    > Barry L. Wallis wrote:
    >> Frank ess wrote:
    >>> It does transfers from memory cards and makes slide shows with
    >>> "non-cheesy" music as well as VHS, 8mm, and Hi-8 movie transfers to
    >>> DVD format of your choice (except DVD-RW).
    >>> http://preview.tinyurl.com/yrtqdo
    >>>
    >>> Anyone out there have experience with this thing? Experience. I know
    >>> there will be opinions. That's OK, too, but I'd like experienced
    >>> opinion.

    >> I've had one since they came out. I use it as a portable DVD recorder
    >> for my entertainment center as well as a DVD burner for my desktop.
    >> The only problem is that it senses copy protected content from my
    >> cable provider's DVR and will not record it to DVD. Unfortunately this
    >> includes many newer movies on most cable channels and anything on The
    >> Food Network (I am an Alton Brown Good Eats fan). I get around this by
    >> recording from my DVR to VHS tape. From there I can record to DVD
    >> Direct as it only senses digital copyright protection.
    >>
    >> If you have specific questions, let me know.

    > Thank you, Barry.
    >
    > I'm about to use a gift certificate to get one. The only 'horror
    > stories' I've seen have to do with a two-hour 'burn' of a VHS tape that
    > failed. Any experiences like that? Recommend a particular brand or
    > format of DVD blanks?

    When I record to DVD Direct it is generally temporary on my way to
    editing on my PC so I use Sony DVD+RW disks. When I burn regular DVDs I
    use TDK DVD+Rs from Costco.

    --
    - Barry

    Barry L. Wallis, Mar 9, 2007
  6. Guy wrote:
    > Barry L. Wallis wrote:
    >> Frank ess wrote:
    >>> It does transfers from memory cards and makes slide shows with
    >>> "non-cheesy" music as well as VHS, 8mm, and Hi-8 movie transfers to
    >>> DVD format of your choice (except DVD-RW).
    >>> http://preview.tinyurl.com/yrtqdo
    >>>
    >>> Anyone out there have experience with this thing? Experience. I know
    >>> there will be opinions. That's OK, too, but I'd like experienced
    >>> opinion.
    >>>

    >> I've had one since they came out. I use it as a portable DVD recorder
    >> for my entertainment center as well as a DVD burner for my desktop.
    >> The only problem is that it senses copy protected content from my
    >> cable provider's DVR and will not record it to DVD. Unfortunately this
    >> includes many newer movies on most cable channels and anything on The
    >> Food Network (I am an Alton Brown Good Eats fan). I get around this by
    >> recording from my DVR to VHS tape. From there I can record to DVD
    >> Direct as it only senses digital copyright protection.
    >>
    >> If you have specific questions, let me know.
    >>

    > Have had any audio sync problems with long recordings? Last time I
    > tried this with the computer I ended up noticeably out of sync over 1/2
    > hour and very bad over 2 hours. -Guy

    Nope. Are you talking about using DVDirect or going from your source
    directly to a PC?

    --
    - Barry

    Barry L. Wallis, Mar 9, 2007
  7. Frank ess

    Frank ess Guest

    Barry L. Wallis wrote:
    > Frank ess wrote:
    >> Barry L. Wallis wrote:

    >>> I've had one since they came out. I use it as a portable DVD
    >>> recorder for my entertainment center as well as a DVD burner for
    >>> my
    >>> desktop. The only problem is that it senses copy protected content
    >>> from my cable provider's DVR and will not record it to DVD.
    >>> Unfortunately this includes many newer movies on most cable
    >>> channels and anything on The Food Network (I am an Alton Brown
    >>> Good
    >>> Eats fan). I get around this by recording from my DVR to VHS tape.
    >>> From there I can record to DVD Direct as it only senses digital
    >>> copyright protection. If you have specific questions, let me know.

    >> Thank you, Barry.
    >>
    >> I'm about to use a gift certificate to get one. The only 'horror
    >> stories' I've seen have to do with a two-hour 'burn' of a VHS tape
    >> that failed. Any experiences like that? Recommend a particular
    >> brand
    >> or format of DVD blanks?
    >>

    > When I record to DVD Direct it is generally temporary on my way to
    > editing on my PC so I use Sony DVD+RW disks. When I burn regular
    > DVDs
    > I use TDK DVD+Rs from Costco.

    Thank you again, Barry.

    I'm a Costco user, so I reckon we'll see, within a week, if all goes
    well.

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Mar 9, 2007
  8. "Frank ess" <> wrote in message
    > It does transfers from memory cards and makes slide shows with
    > "non-cheesy" music as well as VHS, 8mm, and Hi-8 movie transfers to DVD
    > format of your choice (except DVD-RW).
    > http://preview.tinyurl.com/yrtqdo
    >
    > Anyone out there have experience with this thing? Experience. I know there
    > will be opinions. That's OK, too, but I'd like experienced opinion.
    >
    > --
    > Frank ess

    OK, any unit that provides flexible recording is worth looking into too.
    They're generally fast and make the most of DVD recording space. Since
    they're combo units simple AB editing is a breeze. If none of this matters
    to you, stay the course.

    mark_digital©, Mar 9, 2007
  9. Frank ess

    Guy Guest

    Barry L. Wallis wrote:
    > Guy wrote:
    >> Barry L. Wallis wrote:

    >>> I've had one since they came out. I use it as a portable DVD recorder
    >>> for my entertainment center as well as a DVD burner for my desktop.
    >>> The only problem is that it senses copy protected content from my
    >>> cable provider's DVR and will not record it to DVD. Unfortunately
    >>> this includes many newer movies on most cable channels and anything
    >>> on The Food Network (I am an Alton Brown Good Eats fan). I get around
    >>> this by recording from my DVR to VHS tape. From there I can record to
    >>> DVD Direct as it only senses digital copyright protection.
    >>>
    >>> If you have specific questions, let me know.
    >>>

    >> Have had any audio sync problems with long recordings? Last time I
    >> tried this with the computer I ended up noticeably out of sync over
    >> 1/2 hour and very bad over 2 hours. -Guy

    > Nope. Are you talking about using DVDirect or going from your source
    > directly to a PC?

    I ran my old VHS tape through a datavideo TBC-1000 and then through a
    canopus ADVC-100 converter before sending it to iMovie for capture.
    Somewhere the AV got un-synced and the longer my recording the worse the
    sync. In post process the two are locked fine but once I burn to disk
    the sound is out of step. The process is very long with my old/slow
    computer so I got very frustrated with the whole endeavor. Under the
    heading of "more dollars than sense"... I am intrigued by your
    experience. Any thoughts? -Guy

    Guy, Mar 10, 2007
  10. Frank ess wrote:
    > Barry L. Wallis wrote:
    >> Frank ess wrote:

    >>> Thank you, Barry.
    >>>
    >>> I'm about to use a gift certificate to get one. The only 'horror
    >>> stories' I've seen have to do with a two-hour 'burn' of a VHS tape
    >>> that failed. Any experiences like that? Recommend a particular brand
    >>> or format of DVD blanks?
    >>>

    >> When I record to DVD Direct it is generally temporary on my way to
    >> editing on my PC so I use Sony DVD+RW disks. When I burn regular DVDs
    >> I use TDK DVD+Rs from Costco.

    > Thank you again, Barry.
    >
    > I'm a Costco user, so I reckon we'll see, within a week, if all goes well.

    The best part about Costco is their extremely liberal return policy. I
    bought the first generation of DVDirect there. When the second
    generation came out, I packed everything from the unit I bought back
    into the box and brought it back with the receipt. When they asked why I
    was returning it I told them that Sony came out with a newer version and
    I wanted to replace it. They took it back without any problems. That's
    one reason I buy any electronics I can at Costco.

    --
    - Barry

    Barry L. Wallis, Mar 11, 2007
  11. Guy wrote:
    > Barry L. Wallis wrote:
    >> Guy wrote:

    >>> Have had any audio sync problems with long recordings? Last time I
    >>> tried this with the computer I ended up noticeably out of sync over
    >>> 1/2 hour and very bad over 2 hours. -Guy

    >> Nope. Are you talking about using DVDirect or going from your source
    >> directly to a PC?
    >>

    > I ran my old VHS tape through a datavideo TBC-1000 and then through a
    > canopus ADVC-100 converter before sending it to iMovie for capture.
    > Somewhere the AV got un-synced and the longer my recording the worse the
    > sync. In post process the two are locked fine but once I burn to disk
    > the sound is out of step. The process is very long with my old/slow
    > computer so I got very frustrated with the whole endeavor. Under the
    > heading of "more dollars than sense"... I am intrigued by your
    > experience. Any thoughts? -Guy

    Use Windows instead of Apple. Everyone knows that Windows is a far
    superior video editing environment. :)

    Sorry, I have no experience with any of the products you are using.

    --
    - Barry

    Barry L. Wallis, Mar 11, 2007
  12. Frank ess

    J. Clarke Guest

    Barry L. Wallis wrote:
    > Frank ess wrote:
    >> Barry L. Wallis wrote:

    >>> When I record to DVD Direct it is generally temporary on my way to
    >>> editing on my PC so I use Sony DVD+RW disks. When I burn regular
    >>> DVDs I use TDK DVD+Rs from Costco.

    >> Thank you again, Barry.
    >>
    >> I'm a Costco user, so I reckon we'll see, within a week, if all goes
    >> well.
    >>

    > The best part about Costco is their extremely liberal return policy. I
    > bought the first generation of DVDirect there. When the second
    > generation came out, I packed everything from the unit I bought back
    > into the box and brought it back with the receipt. When they asked
    > why I was returning it I told them that Sony came out with a newer
    > version and I wanted to replace it. They took it back without any
    > problems. That's one reason I buy any electronics I can at Costco.

    And as a result of the actions of people such as yourself, they have
    changed that policy effective next month. The new policy will be 90 day
    no questions asked and a two year conventional warranty after that.
    Thanks for screwing it up for the rest of us.

    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    J. Clarke, Mar 11, 2007
  13. Frank ess

    George Kerby Guest

    Same thing at Home Depot.

    George Kerby, Mar 11, 2007
  14. Frank ess

    Guy Guest

    Barry L. Wallis wrote:
    > Guy wrote:
    >> Barry L. Wallis wrote:

    >>> Nope. Are you talking about using DVDirect or going from your source
    >>> directly to a PC?
    >>>

    >> I ran my old VHS tape through a datavideo TBC-1000 and then through a
    >> canopus ADVC-100 converter before sending it to iMovie for capture.
    >> Somewhere the AV got un-synced and the longer my recording the worse
    >> the sync. In post process the two are locked fine but once I burn to
    >> disk the sound is out of step. The process is very long with my
    >> old/slow computer so I got very frustrated with the whole endeavor.
    >> Under the heading of "more dollars than sense"... I am intrigued by
    >> your experience. Any thoughts? -Guy

    > Use Windows instead of Apple. Everyone knows that Windows is a far
    > superior video editing environment. :)
    >
    > Sorry, I have no experience with any of the products you are using.

    Thanks anyway. Rhetorical OS opinions not withstanding :) , I am
    generally happy with my choice. I have something screwed up in either my
    settings or my approach. Thanks for sharing your DVDirect experience.
    Peace to you -Guy

    Guy, Mar 11, 2007
  15. J. Clarke wrote:
    > Barry L. Wallis wrote:
    >> Frank ess wrote:

    >>> Thank you again, Barry.
    >>>
    >>> I'm a Costco user, so I reckon we'll see, within a week, if all goes
    >>> well.
    >>>

    >> The best part about Costco is their extremely liberal return policy. I
    >> bought the first generation of DVDirect there. When the second
    >> generation came out, I packed everything from the unit I bought back
    >> into the box and brought it back with the receipt. When they asked
    >> why I was returning it I told them that Sony came out with a newer
    >> version and I wanted to replace it. They took it back without any
    >> problems. That's one reason I buy any electronics I can at Costco.

    > And as a result of the actions of people such as yourself, they have
    > changed that policy effective next month. The new policy will be 90 day
    > no questions asked and a two year conventional warranty after that.
    > Thanks for screwing it up for the rest of us.

    That's how the free market works. I wasn't taking advantage of them any
    more than they were taking advantage of me by taking my money. If their
    policy was that items were returnable at any time only if they are
    defective, I wouldn't have returned my first generation DVDirect.
    Costco instituted a policy to create brand loyalty and give them a
    competitive advantage. In my case it was successful. If they have to
    change the policy because it is no longer effective, I cannot fault
    them. It's a symbiotic relationship.

    --
    - Barry

    Barry L. Wallis, Mar 11, 2007
  16. Frank ess

    J. Clarke Guest

    Barry L. Wallis wrote:
    > J. Clarke wrote:
    >> Barry L. Wallis wrote:

    >>> The best part about Costco is their extremely liberal return
    >>> policy. I bought the first generation of DVDirect there. When the
    >>> second generation came out, I packed everything from the unit I
    >>> bought back into the box and brought it back with the receipt. When
    >>> they asked why I was returning it I told them that Sony came out
    >>> with a newer version and I wanted to replace it. They took it back
    >>> without any problems. That's one reason I buy any electronics I can
    >>> at Costco.

    >> And as a result of the actions of people such as yourself, they have
    >> changed that policy effective next month. The new policy will be 90
    >> day no questions asked and a two year conventional warranty after
    >> that. Thanks for screwing it up for the rest of us.
    >>

    > That's how the free market works. I wasn't taking advantage of them
    > any more than they were taking advantage of me by taking my money. If
    > their policy was that items were returnable at any time only if they
    > are defective, I wouldn't have returned my first generation DVDirect.
    > Costco instituted a policy to create brand loyalty and give them a
    > competitive advantage. In my case it was successful. If they have to
    > change the policy because it is no longer effective, I cannot fault
    > them. It's a symbiotic relationship.

    So it's OK to piss in the well if you personally aren't planning to
    drink out of it again?

    J. Clarke, Mar 11, 2007
  17. J. Clarke wrote:
    > Barry L. Wallis wrote:
    >> J. Clarke wrote:

    >>> And as a result of the actions of people such as yourself, they have
    >>> changed that policy effective next month. The new policy will be 90
    >>> day no questions asked and a two year conventional warranty after
    >>> that. Thanks for screwing it up for the rest of us.
    >>>

    >> That's how the free market works. I wasn't taking advantage of them
    >> any more than they were taking advantage of me by taking my money. If
    >> their policy was that items were returnable at any time only if they
    >> are defective, I wouldn't have returned my first generation DVDirect.
    >> Costco instituted a policy to create brand loyalty and give them a
    >> competitive advantage. In my case it was successful. If they have to
    >> change the policy because it is no longer effective, I cannot fault
    >> them. It's a symbiotic relationship.

    > So it's OK to piss in the well if you personally aren't planning to
    > drink out of it again?

    Bad analogy. But if the owner had a sign up encouraging you to do it and
    then when you asked him he said, "Sure!" Why wouldn't you (since in that
    case it was obviously not a well which is where the analogy breaks down)?

    --
    - Barry

    Barry L. Wallis, Mar 12, 2007
  18. "Barry L. Wallis" <> wrote in message
    > J. Clarke wrote:
    >> Barry L. Wallis wrote:

    >>> That's how the free market works. I wasn't taking advantage of them
    >>> any more than they were taking advantage of me by taking my money. If
    >>> their policy was that items were returnable at any time only if they
    >>> are defective, I wouldn't have returned my first generation DVDirect.
    >>> Costco instituted a policy to create brand loyalty and give them a
    >>> competitive advantage. In my case it was successful. If they have to
    >>> change the policy because it is no longer effective, I cannot fault
    >>> them. It's a symbiotic relationship.

    >> So it's OK to piss in the well if you personally aren't planning to drink
    >> out of it again?
    >>

    > Bad analogy. But if the owner had a sign up encouraging you to do it and
    > then when you asked him he said, "Sure!" Why wouldn't you (since in that
    > case it was obviously not a well which is where the analogy breaks down)?
    >

    > --
    > - Barry

    Barry, you weren't dealing with the owner. So, in fact, you were taking
    advantage of some, ahem, turd at Costco.

    mark_digital©, Mar 12, 2007