    the help.

    THANKS
    Pete
    Pete, Feb 6, 2008

  2. Hi
    The two computer work independently with the Router. So if the desktop works
    leave it alone.
    Your Wireless is probably Not configured correctly.
    Try this process to find what is wrong.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 6, 2008

  3. Pete

    Pete Guest

    Thanks for the help Jack. I am able to connect to the net and email with
    both computers now. I have a network but that's where I get lost. I cannot
    get the shared folders and files from each computer to show up on the other
    computer. They are in the same workgroup when I check, but the shared items
    show up only on the computer that they are located on not the other computer
    where I would like to access them.
    Someone suggested that I hook the laptop up wired and set everything up then
    switch back to wireless. What do you think about this idea?

    Pete, Feb 6, 2008
  4. Hi
    It is probably unnecessary, If your Desktop is connected with a wire you can
    log with it to the Router and do the Wireless configuration from the
    Desktop.
    Then configure the matching setting on the Laptop.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 7, 2008
  5. Pete

    Pete Guest

    Thanks again Jack for your help. I have tried everyway I can think of to do
    this but for some reason I cannot get the desktop to reconize the shared
    folders on the laptop and vice versa. I tried using the network setup wizard
    and the wireless wizard using the thumb drive to copy the settings between
    the computers but still nothing. Both computers are in the same named
    workgroup and have different names for each.
    I don't know if this has any bearing or not but I am on RoadRunner ISP and
    they have a radio option that you can install. It works on the desktop but I
    cannot get any sound on my laptop and I have sound on websites, news clips
    etc.. Also while trying to troubleshoot this problem the RR tech asked me to
    go to the internet radio in media player and when I clicked on a station
    after about five minutes it gave a "network problem will not allow connection
    message."

    Pete, Feb 7, 2008
  6. Pete

    Jim Guest

    "Pete" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks again Jack for your help. I have tried everyway I can think of to
    > do
    > this but for some reason I cannot get the desktop to reconize the shared
    > folders on the laptop and vice versa. I tried using the network setup
    > wizard
    > and the wireless wizard using the thumb drive to copy the settings between
    > the computers but still nothing. Both computers are in the same named
    > workgroup and have different names for each.
    > I don't know if this has any bearing or not but I am on RoadRunner ISP and
    > they have a radio option that you can install. It works on the desktop
    > but I
    > cannot get any sound on my laptop and I have sound on websites, news clips
    > etc.. Also while trying to troubleshoot this problem the RR tech asked me
    > go to the internet radio in media player and when I clicked on a station
    > after about five minutes it gave a "network problem will not allow
    > connection
    > message."
    >
    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> It is probably unnecessary, If your Desktop is connected with a wire you
    >> can
    >> log with it to the Router and do the Wireless configuration from the
    >> Desktop.
    >> Then configure the matching setting on the Laptop.
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>
    >> "Pete" <> wrote in message
    >> > Thanks for the help Jack. I am able to connect to the net and email
    >> > with
    >> > both computers now. I have a network but that's where I get lost. I
    >> > cannot
    >> > get the shared folders and files from each computer to show up on the
    >> > other
    >> > computer. They are in the same workgroup when I check, but the shared
    >> > items
    >> > show up only on the computer that they are located on not the other
    >> > computer
    >> > where I would like to access them.
    >> > Someone suggested that I hook the laptop up wired and set everything up
    >> > then
    >> > switch back to wireless. What do you think about this idea?

    Can you ping each computer from the other? I suspect that your problem is
    an improperly configured firewall since
    what you have described sounds like the firewalls are not passing ICMP
    packets.

    Which firewall are you using?

    Jim
    Jim, Feb 7, 2008
  7. Pete

    Pete Guest

    Thanks Jim. I am a newbie and unsure how to go about "pinging". I have CA
    antivirus suite provided by my provider. What would you suggest as to how I
    go about trying this?

    Pete, Feb 7, 2008
  8. Pete

    Jim Guest

    "Pete" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks Jim. I am a newbie and unsure how to go about "pinging". I have
    > CA
    > antivirus suite provided by my provider. What would you suggest as to how
    > go about trying this?
    >
    > "Jim" wrote:
    >

    >> "Pete" <> wrote in message
    >> > Thanks again Jack for your help. I have tried everyway I can think of
    >> > do
    >> > this but for some reason I cannot get the desktop to reconize the
    >> > shared
    >> > folders on the laptop and vice versa. I tried using the network setup
    >> > wizard
    >> > and the wireless wizard using the thumb drive to copy the settings
    >> > between
    >> > the computers but still nothing. Both computers are in the same named
    >> > workgroup and have different names for each.
    >> > I don't know if this has any bearing or not but I am on RoadRunner ISP
    >> > and
    >> > they have a radio option that you can install. It works on the desktop
    >> > but I
    >> > cannot get any sound on my laptop and I have sound on websites, news
    >> > clips
    >> > etc.. Also while trying to troubleshoot this problem the RR tech asked
    >> > me
    >> > go to the internet radio in media player and when I clicked on a
    >> > station
    >> > after about five minutes it gave a "network problem will not allow
    >> > connection
    >> > message."

    >> Can you ping each computer from the other? I suspect that your problem
    >> is
    >> an improperly configured firewall since
    >> what you have described sounds like the firewalls are not passing ICMP
    >> packets.
    >>
    >> Which firewall are you using?
    >>
    >> Jim

    Do this to run the ping program:

    Press Start
    Select Run
    In the box, enter cmd
    Cmd will show the current folder followed by >
    Enter Ping <ip address>

    Ping will report, if the computer at the ip address replies, 3 lines with
    statistics.
    If the computer at the ip address does not reply, then it will show 3 lines
    of "timed out" messages.

    By the way, you can ping the computer you are logged into. Ping localhost.

    If you cannot ping localhost, your network is not working at all. If you
    cannot ping remote computers, then there is a problem on the remote
    computers.

    In any case, don't go further until you can ping each of your computers.

    Ping is a useful program. For example, sometimes IE or Firefox times out.
    What I do to start researchin the problem is to ping the host of my ISP (in
    my case it is yahoo). So I enter ping www.yahoo.com to see if yahoo is up
    or not.

    Jim
    Jim, Feb 7, 2008
  9. Pete

    Pete Guest

    Thanks Jim,
    I sort of understand what you mean. When you say ping <ip address>
    where is the ip address? I think it is is the connections area? I there a
    way to find it easily? Ifter reading what you mentioned about the firewall I
    experimented by turning them both off and guess what It now works. I think I
    am correct that to restart the firewalls I need to allow the ip address on
    each computers firewall correct? The firewall usually asks when something
    tries to gain access but it must not have this time. Do you think it will
    recognize them automatically if I restart the firewall now that I have a
    connection? Thanks for turning the lightbulb on. I kept thinking there had
    to be a simple explanation for the problem but it just didn't dawn on me to
    try the firewalls.

    THANKS AGAIN
    Pete

    Pete, Feb 8, 2008
  10. Pete

    Pete Guest

    THANK YOU both Jim and Jack for your help and suggestions. Sorry that I had
    so many questions when a simple oversight solved everything. It's good to
    know that there are people who will take the time to try and help out someone
    with more ideas than knowledge about how to impliment them. I checked out
    the firewall it is on so it must have recognized the network because
    everything seems to be working the way I wanted it to.

    THANKS AGAIN

    Pete

    Pete, Feb 8, 2008
  11. Pete

    Pete Guest

    Well I thought thing we a OK but I was wrong. I had restarted the laptop and
    the firewall restarted so when I connested to shared folders on the desktop I
    was able to access them because the firewall was still off on the desktop.
    Later I went to the desktop and could not access the laptop. When I try to
    access either with the firewall on I get the message " network path not
    found." I tried to put the ip address into the firewall on both but no luck
    so I guess I will have to turn the firewall off before sharing correct?

    THANKS AGAIN
    Pete

    Pete, Feb 8, 2008
  12. Pete

    Jim Guest

    "Pete" <> wrote in message
    > Well I thought thing we a OK but I was wrong. I had restarted the laptop
    > and
    > the firewall restarted so when I connested to shared folders on the
    > desktop I
    > was able to access them because the firewall was still off on the desktop.
    > Later I went to the desktop and could not access the laptop. When I try
    > access either with the firewall on I get the message " network path not
    > found." I tried to put the ip address into the firewall on both but no
    > luck
    > so I guess I will have to turn the firewall off before sharing correct?
    >
    > THANKS AGAIN
    > Pete
    >
    > "Pete" wrote:
    >
    >> THANK YOU both Jim and Jack for your help and suggestions. Sorry that I
    >> had
    >> so many questions when a simple oversight solved everything. It's good
    >> know that there are people who will take the time to try and help out
    >> someone
    >> with more ideas than knowledge about how to impliment them. I checked
    >> out
    >> the firewall it is on so it must have recognized the network because
    >> everything seems to be working the way I wanted it to.
    >>
    >> THANKS AGAIN
    >>
    >> Pete
    >>
    >> "Pete" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Thanks Jim,
    >> > I sort of understand what you mean. When you say ping <ip address>
    >> > where is the ip address? I think it is is the connections area? I
    >> > there a
    >> > way to find it easily? Ifter reading what you mentioned about the
    >> > firewall I
    >> > experimented by turning them both off and guess what It now works. I
    >> > think I
    >> > am correct that to restart the firewalls I need to allow the ip address
    >> > on
    >> > each computers firewall correct? The firewall usually asks when
    >> > something
    >> > tries to gain access but it must not have this time. Do you think it
    >> > will
    >> > recognize them automatically if I restart the firewall now that I have
    >> > connection? Thanks for turning the lightbulb on. I kept thinking
    >> > there had
    >> > to be a simple explanation for the problem but it just didn't dawn on
    >> > me to
    >> > try the firewalls.
    >> >
    >> > THANKS AGAIN
    >> > Pete

    You must ensure that your firewalls are passing ICMP packets. (ICMP means
    Internet Control and Management Protocol).
    However, as you have not stated which firewall you are using, we really
    can't go much further.

    Your problem will not be solved until after you have fixed the firewall
    problem.
    When I posted "ping <ipaddress>", I meant whichever ip address you wish to
    ping.. Assuming for the moment that the ipaddress of you wish
    to ping 192.168.1.1 (usually a router) from 192.168.1.100 (usually a
    computer), you would enter "ping 192.168.1.1" while you are logged into
    192.168.1.100.

    Jim
    Jim, Feb 8, 2008
  13. Pete

    Pete Guest

    j\Jim I am using CA firewall that is provided by my ISP. I think my desktop
    is 192.168.1.100 and the laptop is 192.168.1.101. I tried going into the
    firewall and allowing those addresses but I still could not access the files
    on either computer from the other without turning off the firewall. I seems
    to me that it may be a outgoing issue as the firewall was on on my laptop and
    I could access the destop shared files but I must admit that I am not
    experienced enough to know if this is correct or not. I checked in the
    "manage sites" section of the firewall and I have 192.100 allowed on the
    laptop. In the "zones" section I have unchecked the block incoming and
    outgoing files boxes in both the "safe" and "restricted" zones so I am not
    sure what else to check out next to allow them to talk to each other.

    Pete, Feb 8, 2008
  14. Pete

    Jim Guest

    "Pete" <> wrote in message
    > j\Jim I am using CA firewall that is provided by my ISP. I think my
    > desktop
    > is 192.168.1.100 and the laptop is 192.168.1.101. I tried going into the
    > firewall and allowing those addresses but I still could not access the
    > files
    > on either computer from the other without turning off the firewall. I
    > seems
    > to me that it may be a outgoing issue as the firewall was on on my laptop
    > and
    > I could access the destop shared files but I must admit that I am not
    > experienced enough to know if this is correct or not. I checked in the
    > "manage sites" section of the firewall and I have 192.100 allowed on the
    > laptop. In the "zones" section I have unchecked the block incoming and
    > outgoing files boxes in both the "safe" and "restricted" zones so I am not
    > sure what else to check out next to allow them to talk to each other.
    > "Jim" wrote:
    >

    >> "Pete" <> wrote in message
    >> > Well I thought thing we a OK but I was wrong. I had restarted the
    >> > laptop
    >> > and
    >> > the firewall restarted so when I connested to shared folders on the
    >> > desktop I
    >> > was able to access them because the firewall was still off on the
    >> > desktop.
    >> > Later I went to the desktop and could not access the laptop. When I
    >> > try
    >> > access either with the firewall on I get the message " network path not
    >> > found." I tried to put the ip address into the firewall on both but no
    >> > luck
    >> > so I guess I will have to turn the firewall off before sharing correct?
    >> >
    >> > THANKS AGAIN
    >> > Pete

    >> You must ensure that your firewalls are passing ICMP packets. (ICMP
    >> means
    >> Internet Control and Management Protocol).
    >> However, as you have not stated which firewall you are using, we really
    >> can't go much further.
    >>
    >> Your problem will not be solved until after you have fixed the firewall
    >> problem.
    >> When I posted "ping <ipaddress>", I meant whichever ip address you wish
    >> ping.. Assuming for the moment that the ipaddress of you wish
    >> to ping 192.168.1.1 (usually a router) from 192.168.1.100 (usually a
    >> computer), you would enter "ping 192.168.1.1" while you are logged into
    >> 192.168.1.100.
    >>
    >> Jim

    Sorry, I know nothng about the CA firewall. Your problem is that something
    is blocking ICMP packets. And, the problem is
    not caused by whether the computers are or are not in the trusted zone.
    Jim
    Jim, Feb 8, 2008