MythTV - Handle 2 tuners

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by The Hobbit, Sep 27, 2004.

  1. The Hobbit

    The Hobbit Guest

    Hi All,

    Hoping that someone close to home can help out on this one before we go
    bothering the list with the query. We've searched the MythTV archives and
    have seen posts by others with this issue, but no resolution (I could find)
    yet.

    The problem is we can't seem to switch between the channels when they exists
    on different cards. i.e. if we're watching channel 2 on the el-cheapo and
    want to switch to channel 41 (cartoon network on Sky via S-Vid on the
    Hauppauge) it won't work. If we're watching channel 2 FTA via the RF input
    on the Hauppauge and want to switch to a sky channel (different input - same
    card) then it will switch.

    I know you can hit 'Y' to switch tuner cards, but want to simply be able to
    hit '2' on the remote then '41' to change channels.

    System is FC2, running Myth .16. We have 2 tuner cards, an el-cheapo and a
    Hauppauge 250.

    We're wanting to use the 250 as the primary card for recording, and also the
    card for viewing sky (via the S-Video inputs) leaving the el-cheapo for
    watching live FTA TV.

    The WAF is key to the successful installation of this device into the stereo
    rack, if the Wife and kids (5 y.o.) can't use this then it's been a waste of
    time and new PC gear points (which I'd have otherwise put toward updating
    the graphics card on my primary machine).

    Any suggestions for configurations which would deliver the desired effect
    would be gratefully received - We'll post back with any successes we
    encounter for the sake of the archives.

    Help??
    The Hobbit, Sep 27, 2004

  2. The Hobbit

    JohnO Guest

    "The Hobbit" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Hoping that someone close to home can help out on this one before we go
    > bothering the list with the query. We've searched the MythTV archives and
    > have seen posts by others with this issue, but no resolution (I could

    find)
    > yet.
    >
    > The problem is we can't seem to switch between the channels when they

    exists
    > on different cards. i.e. if we're watching channel 2 on the el-cheapo and
    > want to switch to channel 41 (cartoon network on Sky via S-Vid on the
    > Hauppauge) it won't work. If we're watching channel 2 FTA via the RF input
    > on the Hauppauge and want to switch to a sky channel (different input -

    same
    > card) then it will switch.
    >
    > I know you can hit 'Y' to switch tuner cards, but want to simply be able

    > hit '2' on the remote then '41' to change channels.
    >
    > System is FC2, running Myth .16. We have 2 tuner cards, an el-cheapo and a
    > Hauppauge 250.
    >
    > We're wanting to use the 250 as the primary card for recording, and also

    the
    > card for viewing sky (via the S-Video inputs) leaving the el-cheapo for
    > watching live FTA TV.
    >
    > The WAF is key to the successful installation of this device into the

    stereo
    > rack, if the Wife and kids (5 y.o.) can't use this then it's been a waste

    of
    > time and new PC gear points (which I'd have otherwise put toward updating
    > the graphics card on my primary machine).
    >
    > Any suggestions for configurations which would deliver the desired effect
    > would be gratefully received - We'll post back with any successes we
    > encounter for the sake of the archives.
    >
    > Help??

    Hmm, I'm not sure there is a way around this.

    However, I'm curious as to why the system used the el-cheapo card in the
    first place. Assuming your PVR is tuner 1 and the BT878 is tuner 2 it should
    always use tuner 1 first unless it's being used to record something already.

    BTW: If you get hacked off with MythTV I suggest you take a look at GBPVR.
    This is written by a guy in Wellington, but I try not to hold that against
    it. It also requires Win2K or XP. Finally, it only works with hardware
    encoding tuners, so the BT878 is no use. It does use a lot wider range of
    h/w mpeg encoding tuners than MythTV though, such as the relatively
    inexpensive Pixelview PlayTV@P7000 that Woger keeps banging on about.

    The upside is it soooo easy to get going. It took me weeks to get MythTV
    working. It took me about half an hour to get GBPVR going. I'm running
    multiple tuners with remote channel changing on the sky decoder, automagic
    downloading and updating NZ EPG etc etc. It can run multiple clients using
    inexpensive Hauppauge MediaMVP devices. I've now toasted my MythTV partition
    and just use GBPVR and am loving it.

    www.gbpvr.com

    Cheers,
    JohnO
    JohnO, Sep 27, 2004

  3. JohnO wrote:

    > Hmm, I'm not sure there is a way around this.
    >
    > However, I'm curious as to why the system used the el-cheapo card in the
    > first place. Assuming your PVR is tuner 1 and the BT878 is tuner 2 it should
    > always use tuner 1 first unless it's being used to record something already.
    >
    > BTW: If you get hacked off with MythTV I suggest you take a look at GBPVR.
    > This is written by a guy in Wellington, but I try not to hold that against
    > it. It also requires Win2K or XP. Finally, it only works with hardware
    > encoding tuners, so the BT878 is no use. It does use a lot wider range of
    > h/w mpeg encoding tuners than MythTV though, such as the relatively
    > inexpensive Pixelview PlayTV@P7000 that Woger keeps banging on about.
    >
    > The upside is it soooo easy to get going. It took me weeks to get MythTV
    > working. It took me about half an hour to get GBPVR going. I'm running
    > multiple tuners with remote channel changing on the sky decoder, automagic
    > downloading and updating NZ EPG etc etc. It can run multiple clients using
    > inexpensive Hauppauge MediaMVP devices. I've now toasted my MythTV partition
    > and just use GBPVR and am loving it.
    >
    > www.gbpvr.com

    Looks cool, do you know - where does it get the EPG from?
    I didn't think XMLTV had a NZ feed

    Cheers
    Nathan
    Nathan Mercer, Sep 27, 2004
  4. The Hobbit

    JohnO Guest

    "Nathan Mercer" <> wrote in message
    > JohnO wrote:
    >>
    >> Hmm, I'm not sure there is a way around this.
    >>
    >> However, I'm curious as to why the system used the el-cheapo card in the
    >> first place. Assuming your PVR is tuner 1 and the BT878 is tuner 2 it
    >> should
    >> always use tuner 1 first unless it's being used to record something
    >> already.
    >>
    >> BTW: If you get hacked off with MythTV I suggest you take a look at
    >> GBPVR.
    >> This is written by a guy in Wellington, but I try not to hold that
    >> against
    >> it. It also requires Win2K or XP. Finally, it only works with hardware
    >> encoding tuners, so the BT878 is no use. It does use a lot wider range of
    >> h/w mpeg encoding tuners than MythTV though, such as the relatively
    >> inexpensive Pixelview PlayTV@P7000 that Woger keeps banging on about.
    >>
    >> The upside is it soooo easy to get going. It took me weeks to get MythTV
    >> working. It took me about half an hour to get GBPVR going. I'm running
    >> multiple tuners with remote channel changing on the sky decoder,
    >> automagic
    >> downloading and updating NZ EPG etc etc. It can run multiple clients
    >> using
    >> inexpensive Hauppauge MediaMVP devices. I've now toasted my MythTV
    >> partition
    >> and just use GBPVR and am loving it.
    >>
    >> www.gbpvr.com

    > Looks cool, do you know - where does it get the EPG from?
    > I didn't think XMLTV had a NZ feed
    >
    > Cheers
    > Nathan

    AFAIK there's no official XML feed . As you know SkyTV has resisted pressure
    to catch up with the rest of the world and issue an XM EPG. However there
    are some clever buggers out there that have written HTML scrapers that
    produce an XMLTV file. Sky would like to close them down if they could.
    Bastards.
    JohnO, Sep 27, 2004
  5. The Hobbit

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 16:49:43 +1200, "JohnO" <> wrote:

    >BTW: If you get hacked off with MythTV I suggest you take a look at GBPVR.
    >This is written by a guy in Wellington, but I try not to hold that against
    >it. It also requires Win2K or XP. Finally, it only works with hardware
    >encoding tuners, so the BT878 is no use. It does use a lot wider range of
    >h/w mpeg encoding tuners than MythTV though, such as the relatively
    >inexpensive Pixelview PlayTV@P7000 that Woger keeps banging on about.
    >
    >The upside is it soooo easy to get going. It took me weeks to get MythTV
    >working. It took me about half an hour to get GBPVR going. I'm running
    >multiple tuners with remote channel changing on the sky decoder, automagic
    >downloading and updating NZ EPG etc etc. It can run multiple clients using
    >inexpensive Hauppauge MediaMVP devices. I've now toasted my MythTV partition
    >and just use GBPVR and am loving it.

    What do you use for a remote control to control the PC and where did you get it?
    Craig Shore, Sep 27, 2004
  6. The Hobbit

    JohnO Guest

    "Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 16:49:43 +1200, "JohnO" <> wrote:
    >
    >>BTW: If you get hacked off with MythTV I suggest you take a look at GBPVR.
    >>This is written by a guy in Wellington, but I try not to hold that against
    >>it. It also requires Win2K or XP. Finally, it only works with hardware
    >>encoding tuners, so the BT878 is no use. It does use a lot wider range of
    >>h/w mpeg encoding tuners than MythTV though, such as the relatively
    >>inexpensive Pixelview PlayTV@P7000 that Woger keeps banging on about.
    >>
    >>The upside is it soooo easy to get going. It took me weeks to get MythTV
    >>working. It took me about half an hour to get GBPVR going. I'm running
    >>multiple tuners with remote channel changing on the sky decoder, automagic
    >>downloading and updating NZ EPG etc etc. It can run multiple clients using
    >>inexpensive Hauppauge MediaMVP devices. I've now toasted my MythTV
    >>partition
    >>and just use GBPVR and am loving it.

    > What do you use for a remote control to control the PC and where did you
    > get it?

    The Lola X10 r.f. remote. It's pretty much the same as the ATI Remote Wonder
    r.f. remote that you can buy here from www.ascent.co.nz and others. I got it
    from www.x10.com for free! Occasionally they give them away for the cost of
    postage presumably as a loss-leader for the other crap they sell. The cool
    thing with this remote is that no line of sight is required as it is a rado
    device. I use girder (www.girder.nl) to accept the remote control control
    commands, translate them into key presses, windows messages etc and send
    them to GBPVR. girder is a very very clever application which not only sends
    keypresses to targeted apps (which *do not* require the focus), but also can
    do stuff like power down the system, change the volume, start and stop the
    PVR application, send general windows messages etc.

    If you have a Hauppauge PVR350 card that comes with an IR remote control you
    can use that to control GBPVR as it is supported natively and won't even
    need girder. I think this holds for XCard tuner card/remote control combos
    too.

    I'm using a USB-UIRT device (www.usbuirt.com) to transmit the channel change
    commands to the Sky decoder. This amazing device can run up to 3 IR emitters
    so it can control, for example, 2 sky decoders and a sound system. It is
    supported by both GBPVR and girder. I mail-ordered it directly from the
    manufacturer - it arrived within a week of ordering.

    HTH
    JohnO
    JohnO, Sep 27, 2004
  7. The Hobbit

    Craig Sutton Guest

    > JohnO wrote:
    > >
    > > Hmm, I'm not sure there is a way around this.
    > >
    > > However, I'm curious as to why the system used the el-cheapo card in the
    > > first place. Assuming your PVR is tuner 1 and the BT878 is tuner 2 it

    should
    > > always use tuner 1 first unless it's being used to record something

    already.

    > > BTW: If you get hacked off with MythTV I suggest you take a look at

    GBPVR.
    > > This is written by a guy in Wellington, but I try not to hold that

    against
    > > it. It also requires Win2K or XP. Finally, it only works with hardware
    > > encoding tuners, so the BT878 is no use. It does use a lot wider range

    of
    > > h/w mpeg encoding tuners than MythTV though, such as the relatively
    > > inexpensive Pixelview PlayTV@P7000 that Woger keeps banging on about.
    > >
    > > The upside is it soooo easy to get going. It took me weeks to get MythTV
    > > working. It took me about half an hour to get GBPVR going. I'm running
    > > multiple tuners with remote channel changing on the sky decoder,

    automagic
    > > downloading and updating NZ EPG etc etc. It can run multiple clients

    using
    > > inexpensive Hauppauge MediaMVP devices. I've now toasted my MythTV

    partition
    > > and just use GBPVR and am loving it.
    > >
    > > www.gbpvr.com

    > Looks cool, do you know - where does it get the EPG from?
    > I didn't think XMLTV had a NZ feed

    I think he pulls it off the SKY e.p.g with satellite tuner card.
    Craig Sutton, Sep 27, 2004
  8. The Hobbit

    JohnO Guest

    "Craig Sutton" <> wrote in message

    > "Nathan Mercer" <> wrote in message
    > > JohnO wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Hmm, I'm not sure there is a way around this.
    > > >
    > > > However, I'm curious as to why the system used the el-cheapo card in

    the
    > > > first place. Assuming your PVR is tuner 1 and the BT878 is tuner 2 it

    > should
    > > > always use tuner 1 first unless it's being used to record something

    > already.
    > > >
    > > > BTW: If you get hacked off with MythTV I suggest you take a look at

    > GBPVR.
    > > > This is written by a guy in Wellington, but I try not to hold that

    > against
    > > > it. It also requires Win2K or XP. Finally, it only works with hardware
    > > > encoding tuners, so the BT878 is no use. It does use a lot wider range

    > of
    > > > h/w mpeg encoding tuners than MythTV though, such as the relatively
    > > > inexpensive Pixelview PlayTV@P7000 that Woger keeps banging on about.
    > > >
    > > > The upside is it soooo easy to get going. It took me weeks to get

    MythTV
    > > > working. It took me about half an hour to get GBPVR going. I'm running
    > > > multiple tuners with remote channel changing on the sky decoder,

    > automagic
    > > > downloading and updating NZ EPG etc etc. It can run multiple clients

    > using
    > > > inexpensive Hauppauge MediaMVP devices. I've now toasted my MythTV

    > partition
    > > > and just use GBPVR and am loving it.
    > > >
    > > > www.gbpvr.com

    > > Looks cool, do you know - where does it get the EPG from?
    > > I didn't think XMLTV had a NZ feed
    > >

    > I think he pulls it off the SKY e.p.g with satellite tuner card.

    Who does?
    JohnO, Sep 27, 2004
  9. The Hobbit

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 20:10:18 +1200, "JohnO" <> wrote:

    >The Lola X10 r.f. remote. It's pretty much the same as the ATI Remote Wonder
    >r.f. remote that you can buy here from www.ascent.co.nz and others.

    Thanks, ordered.

    What capture card are you using, and most importantly, do you get excellent
    quality stereo sound off the FTA NICAM broadcasts? Or are you doing it all via
    line in from your sky box?
    Craig Shore, Sep 28, 2004
  10. The Hobbit

    > On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 20:10:18 +1200, "JohnO" <> wrote:
    >
    >>The Lola X10 r.f. remote. It's pretty much the same as the ATI Remote
    >>Wonder
    >>r.f. remote that you can buy here from www.ascent.co.nz and others.

    > Thanks, ordered.
    >
    > What capture card are you using, and most importantly, do you get
    > excellent
    > quality stereo sound off the FTA NICAM broadcasts? Or are you doing it all
    > via
    > line in from your sky box?

    I'm using twin Haupauge PVR250 MCE OEM's. composite video and audio Line in
    from sky box on one tuner, and the FTA UHF/VHF in on the second tuner.
    However the output of all this is going from the gForce tvout and onboard
    audio out straight to a tv and it's shitty speakers so I couldn't comment on
    the stereo quality. Also the FTA signal is a bit poor - I think all the
    stormy weather over winter has blown the aerial out of whack. Supposedly the
    PAL-B tuner on the card should be capturing the stereo signal properly
    though.
    JohnO, Sep 28, 2004
  11. The Hobbit

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 20:20:44 +1200, "JohnO" <> wrote:

    >"Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 20:10:18 +1200, "JohnO" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>The Lola X10 r.f. remote. It's pretty much the same as the ATI Remote
    >>>Wonder
    >>>r.f. remote that you can buy here from www.ascent.co.nz and others.

    >> Thanks, ordered.
    >>
    >> What capture card are you using, and most importantly, do you get
    >> excellent
    >> quality stereo sound off the FTA NICAM broadcasts? Or are you doing it all
    >> via
    >> line in from your sky box?
    >>

    >I'm using twin Haupauge PVR250 MCE OEM's. composite video and audio Line in
    >from sky box on one tuner, and the FTA UHF/VHF in on the second tuner.
    >However the output of all this is going from the gForce tvout and onboard
    >audio out straight to a tv and it's shitty speakers so I couldn't comment on
    >the stereo quality. Also the FTA signal is a bit poor - I think all the
    >stormy weather over winter has blown the aerial out of whack. Supposedly the
    >PAL-B tuner on the card should be capturing the stereo signal properly
    >though.

    Hmm, just wondering if there would be any benefit in spending $364 on the
    Hauppauge 250, or if the PixelView PlayTV@P7000 would do the same job for $192.
    Craig Shore, Sep 28, 2004
  12. The Hobbit

    SteveM Guest

    Craig Shore <> wrote in

    > On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 20:20:44 +1200, "JohnO" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Craig Shore" <> wrote in message

    >>> Thanks, ordered.
    >>>
    >>> What capture card are you using, and most importantly, do you get
    >>> excellent
    >>> quality stereo sound off the FTA NICAM broadcasts? Or are you doing
    >>> it all via
    >>> line in from your sky box?
    >>>

    >>I'm using twin Haupauge PVR250 MCE OEM's. composite video and audio
    >>Line in from sky box on one tuner, and the FTA UHF/VHF in on the
    >>second tuner. However the output of all this is going from the gForce
    >>tvout and onboard audio out straight to a tv and it's shitty speakers
    >>so I couldn't comment on the stereo quality. Also the FTA signal is a
    >>bit poor - I think all the stormy weather over winter has blown the
    >>aerial out of whack. Supposedly the PAL-B tuner on the card should be
    >>capturing the stereo signal properly though.

    > Hmm, just wondering if there would be any benefit in spending $364 on
    > the Hauppauge 250, or if the PixelView PlayTV@P7000 would do the same
    > job for $192.

    I have a PixelView P7000 and it does a good job with GB-PVR. (Home grown
    in windy Wellington)
    I have no experience with the PVR250 range. I would say that there is no
    reason to buy Hauppauge over other hardware Mpeg2 cards apart from
    support from the application that you want to use it with. However most
    if not all cards use WDM drivers so support is getting better and better
    for the more recient cards.

    SteveM
    SteveM, Sep 28, 2004
  13. The Hobbit

    JohnO Guest

    "SteveM" <> wrote in message
    > Craig Shore <> wrote in
    >
    > > On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 20:20:44 +1200, "JohnO" <> wrote:
    > >

    > >>"Craig Shore" <> wrote in message

    > >>I'm using twin Haupauge PVR250 MCE OEM's. composite video and audio
    > >>Line in from sky box on one tuner, and the FTA UHF/VHF in on the
    > >>second tuner. However the output of all this is going from the gForce
    > >>tvout and onboard audio out straight to a tv and it's shitty speakers
    > >>so I couldn't comment on the stereo quality. Also the FTA signal is a
    > >>bit poor - I think all the stormy weather over winter has blown the
    > >>aerial out of whack. Supposedly the PAL-B tuner on the card should be
    > >>capturing the stereo signal properly though.

    > > Hmm, just wondering if there would be any benefit in spending $364 on
    > > the Hauppauge 250, or if the PixelView PlayTV@P7000 would do the same
    > > job for $192.
    > >

    > I have a PixelView P7000 and it does a good job with GB-PVR. (Home grown
    > in windy Wellington)
    > I have no experience with the PVR250 range. I would say that there is no
    > reason to buy Hauppauge over other hardware Mpeg2 cards apart from
    > support from the application that you want to use it with. However most
    > if not all cards use WDM drivers so support is getting better and better
    > for the more recient cards.
    >
    > SteveM

    Thanks SteveM - that's good to know.

    I've not tried the P7000 but If I was about to buy some new cards I would
    try one. I got the Hauppauge cards because I was initially using MythTV and
    there were no suitable Linux drivers for the P7000.

    The Hauppauge PVR350 is a different story. It has an onboard MPEG decoder
    with TVOut. It therefore requires virtually no CPU to simultaneously encode
    and decode MPEG which is what all timeshifting PVR's have to do.
    Additionally the MPEG decoder is reported to do a much better quality job
    than software decoding with general tv-out vga cards. - particularly with
    busy fast moving scenes such as sports events.

    If I was building a multituner system today, had the cash and I wanted TV
    Out from the base PVR server PC I would have one PVR350 and P7000's for any
    additional tuners. If I was not requiring TV-OUT from the GBPVR (i.e. just
    using MediaMVP clients on GBPVR) then I'd just get P7000's.
    JohnO, Sep 29, 2004
  14. The Hobbit

    SteveM Guest

    "JohnO" <> wrote in

    > "SteveM" <> wrote in message
    >> Craig Shore <> wrote in

    >> > Hmm, just wondering if there would be any benefit in spending $364
    >> > on the Hauppauge 250, or if the PixelView PlayTV@P7000 would do the
    >> > same job for $192.
    >> >

    >> I have a PixelView P7000 and it does a good job with GB-PVR. (Home
    >> grown in windy Wellington)
    >> I have no experience with the PVR250 range. I would say that there is
    >> no reason to buy Hauppauge over other hardware Mpeg2 cards apart from
    >> support from the application that you want to use it with. However
    >> most if not all cards use WDM drivers so support is getting better
    >> and better for the more recient cards.
    >>
    >> SteveM

    > Thanks SteveM - that's good to know.
    >
    > I've not tried the P7000 but If I was about to buy some new cards I
    > would try one. I got the Hauppauge cards because I was initially using
    > MythTV and there were no suitable Linux drivers for the P7000.
    >
    > The Hauppauge PVR350 is a different story. It has an onboard MPEG
    > decoder with TVOut. It therefore requires virtually no CPU to
    > simultaneously encode and decode MPEG which is what all timeshifting
    > PVR's have to do. Additionally the MPEG decoder is reported to do a
    > much better quality job than software decoding with general tv-out vga
    > cards. - particularly with busy fast moving scenes such as sports
    > events.
    >
    > If I was building a multituner system today, had the cash and I wanted
    > TV Out from the base PVR server PC I would have one PVR350 and P7000's
    > for any additional tuners. If I was not requiring TV-OUT from the
    > GBPVR (i.e. just using MediaMVP clients on GBPVR) then I'd just get
    > P7000's.

    Cool, 1 Question:

    Are you Krypton John?

    I am seriously looking at a MVP as I am not happy with the
    video quality of my current setup, and I want to put the PVR comp
    in another room to cut down on noise.
    The MVP will be easier for the WAF as well.....

    SteveM
    SteveM, Sep 29, 2004
  15. The Hobbit

    JohnO Guest

    "SteveM" <> wrote in message
    > "JohnO" <> wrote in
    >

    >> "SteveM" <> wrote in message
    >>> Craig Shore <> wrote in

    >>> I have a PixelView P7000 and it does a good job with GB-PVR. (Home
    >>> grown in windy Wellington)
    >>> I have no experience with the PVR250 range. I would say that there is
    >>> no reason to buy Hauppauge over other hardware Mpeg2 cards apart from
    >>> support from the application that you want to use it with. However
    >>> most if not all cards use WDM drivers so support is getting better
    >>> and better for the more recient cards.
    >>>
    >>> SteveM

    >> Thanks SteveM - that's good to know.
    >>
    >> I've not tried the P7000 but If I was about to buy some new cards I
    >> would try one. I got the Hauppauge cards because I was initially using
    >> MythTV and there were no suitable Linux drivers for the P7000.
    >>
    >> The Hauppauge PVR350 is a different story. It has an onboard MPEG
    >> decoder with TVOut. It therefore requires virtually no CPU to
    >> simultaneously encode and decode MPEG which is what all timeshifting
    >> PVR's have to do. Additionally the MPEG decoder is reported to do a
    >> much better quality job than software decoding with general tv-out vga
    >> cards. - particularly with busy fast moving scenes such as sports
    >> events.
    >>
    >> If I was building a multituner system today, had the cash and I wanted
    >> TV Out from the base PVR server PC I would have one PVR350 and P7000's
    >> for any additional tuners. If I was not requiring TV-OUT from the
    >> GBPVR (i.e. just using MediaMVP clients on GBPVR) then I'd just get
    >> P7000's.
    >>

    > Cool, 1 Question:
    >
    > Are you Krypton John?

    Yeah, that's me, but I didn't do it and I didn't say it! :)

    > I am seriously looking at a MVP as I am not happy with the
    > video quality of my current setup, and I want to put the PVR comp
    > in another room to cut down on noise.

    What is your current setup?

    > The MVP will be easier for the WAF as well.....

    There was a killer special in the UK at pcworld.co.uk - they were selling
    MVP's for 20 quid. I was too late to get some but they are now all popping
    up on ebay.co.uk for around 30 quid, so if you can get them to airmail to NZ
    they are a bargain compared to the already cheapish $220 here.

    IIRC There are some restictions with the MVP and GBPVR - one of which is
    that you cannot use the SBE option in GBPVR if you are using an MVP. I think
    SBE gives shorter buffer delays (as in the delay that LiveTV is behind the
    broadcast and the channel change delay) plus IIRC the rewind/fastforward in
    LiveTV only works with SBE on. I think the GBPVR developer is planning to
    get this fixed at some stage.

    I'm using the tv-out on my GeForce card to the TV. It's not too bad but not
    quite as good as the picture straight from the Sky decoder. If you are lucky
    enough to have a TV that accepts an RGB input (i.e. VGA) then that gives a
    fantastic picture.

    JohnO, Sep 29, 2004
  16. The Hobbit

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 05:06:25 +0000 (UTC), SteveM <> wrote:

    >"JohnO" <> wrote in
    >

    >> "SteveM" <> wrote in message
    >>> Craig Shore <> wrote in

    >>> I have a PixelView P7000 and it does a good job with GB-PVR. (Home
    >>> grown in windy Wellington)
    >>> I have no experience with the PVR250 range. I would say that there is
    >>> no reason to buy Hauppauge over other hardware Mpeg2 cards apart from
    >>> support from the application that you want to use it with. However
    >>> most if not all cards use WDM drivers so support is getting better
    >>> and better for the more recient cards.
    >>>
    >>> SteveM

    >> Thanks SteveM - that's good to know.
    >>
    >> I've not tried the P7000 but If I was about to buy some new cards I
    >> would try one. I got the Hauppauge cards because I was initially using
    >> MythTV and there were no suitable Linux drivers for the P7000.
    >>
    >> The Hauppauge PVR350 is a different story. It has an onboard MPEG
    >> decoder with TVOut. It therefore requires virtually no CPU to
    >> simultaneously encode and decode MPEG which is what all timeshifting
    >> PVR's have to do. Additionally the MPEG decoder is reported to do a
    >> much better quality job than software decoding with general tv-out vga
    >> cards. - particularly with busy fast moving scenes such as sports
    >> events.

    I've found some software players cope better than others, especially when it
    comes to resizing the picture (to fullscreen or whatever) as it plays. Also try
    running your screens at the same resolution and refresh rate - it might make a
    difference.
    What does GBPVR use to play the video back? Can ut use PowerDVD which is
    generally very good?

    >> If I was building a multituner system today, had the cash and I wanted
    >> TV Out from the base PVR server PC I would have one PVR350 and P7000's
    >> for any additional tuners. If I was not requiring TV-OUT from the
    >> GBPVR (i.e. just using MediaMVP clients on GBPVR) then I'd just get
    >> P7000's.
    >>

    >Cool, 1 Question:
    >
    >Are you Krypton John?
    >
    >I am seriously looking at a MVP as I am not happy with the
    >video quality of my current setup, and I want to put the PVR comp
    >in another room to cut down on noise.
    >The MVP will be easier for the WAF as well.....

    The MVP seems limited on outputs and formats, I like the look of the Pinnacle
    ShowCenter better.
    http://www.lakopacific.com/public/ShowCenter/index.html

    Regarding the MVP,
    I wonder why you need a 1.8Ghz or faster PC to play DivX movies, does it
    reformat them on the fly?
    It can't play NTSC videos on PAL output or PAL videos on NTSC output.
    It can't play DVD VOB files.
    As far as I can tell it only has analog stereo audio outputs, no digital.
    Review here
    http://www.htpcnews.com/main.php?id=mediamvp1

    I'm not sure what of the above the Pinnacle can do, but it does have component
    video output, and digital audio.

    This is also worth looking at, it's Australian.
    http://www.zensonic.com/z400.php
    That one definetly supports .vob files, and has all the good outputs, and has
    built in 802.11b/g networking. I'm not sure it supports Divx though.
    It's only AU$313.50

    I guess the downside is these don't work in with GB-PVR or the PVR250 like the
    MVP does.

    I'm quite happy with the TV output i'm getting off my ATI card, it's better than
    what I was getting off the Nvidia card in my other machine. I made sure I got
    one without a fan to keep the noise down too.

    I'm still undecided as to whether it's best to use the computer by the TV (it's
    a shuttle so it's not very big and it's quiet) and do everything on it, or to
    get a Showcenter or Zensonic and put it there, and do the recording seperatly on
    a computer in another location.
    Craig Shore, Sep 29, 2004
  17. The Hobbit

    > On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 05:06:25 +0000 (UTC), SteveM <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>"JohnO" <> wrote in
    >>

    >>> "SteveM" <> wrote in message

    >>> Thanks SteveM - that's good to know.
    >>>
    >>> I've not tried the P7000 but If I was about to buy some new cards I
    >>> would try one. I got the Hauppauge cards because I was initially using
    >>> MythTV and there were no suitable Linux drivers for the P7000.
    >>>
    >>> The Hauppauge PVR350 is a different story. It has an onboard MPEG
    >>> decoder with TVOut. It therefore requires virtually no CPU to
    >>> simultaneously encode and decode MPEG which is what all timeshifting
    >>> PVR's have to do. Additionally the MPEG decoder is reported to do a
    >>> much better quality job than software decoding with general tv-out vga
    >>> cards. - particularly with busy fast moving scenes such as sports
    >>> events.

    > I've found some software players cope better than others, especially when
    > it
    > comes to resizing the picture (to fullscreen or whatever) as it plays.
    > Also try
    > running your screens at the same resolution and refresh rate - it might
    > make a
    > difference.
    > What does GBPVR use to play the video back? Can ut use PowerDVD which is
    > generally very good?
    >
    >>> If I was building a multituner system today, had the cash and I wanted
    >>> TV Out from the base PVR server PC I would have one PVR350 and P7000's
    >>> for any additional tuners. If I was not requiring TV-OUT from the
    >>> GBPVR (i.e. just using MediaMVP clients on GBPVR) then I'd just get
    >>> P7000's.
    >>>

    >>Cool, 1 Question:
    >>
    >>Are you Krypton John?
    >>
    >>I am seriously looking at a MVP as I am not happy with the
    >>video quality of my current setup, and I want to put the PVR comp
    >>in another room to cut down on noise.
    >>The MVP will be easier for the WAF as well.....

    > The MVP seems limited on outputs and formats, I like the look of the
    > Pinnacle
    > ShowCenter better.
    > http://www.lakopacific.com/public/ShowCenter/index.html

    Nice, but not useful as a client for a PVR AFAIK.

    > Regarding the MVP,
    > I wonder why you need a 1.8Ghz or faster PC to play DivX movies, does it
    > reformat them on the fly?

    Not sure about that, but I suspect that the MVP does not do DivX so the PC
    has to transcode DivX to Mpeg as you suggest.

    > It can't play NTSC videos on PAL output or PAL videos on NTSC output.
    > It can't play DVD VOB files.
    > As far as I can tell it only has analog stereo audio outputs, no digital.

    All Correct.

    > Review here
    > http://www.htpcnews.com/main.php?id=mediamvp1
    >

    > I'm not sure what of the above the Pinnacle can do, but it does have
    > component
    > video output, and digital audio.

    Yeah, it's a shame the MVP doesn't.

    > This is also worth looking at, it's Australian.
    > http://www.zensonic.com/z400.php
    > That one definetly supports .vob files, and has all the good outputs, and
    > has
    > built in 802.11b/g networking. I'm not sure it supports Divx though.
    > It's only AU$313.50
    >

    > I guess the downside is these don't work in with GB-PVR or the PVR250 like
    > the
    > MVP does.

    Aye, there's the rub.

    > I'm quite happy with the TV output i'm getting off my ATI card, it's
    > better than
    > what I was getting off the Nvidia card in my other machine. I made sure I
    > got
    > one without a fan to keep the noise down too.
    >
    > I'm still undecided as to whether it's best to use the computer by the TV
    > (it's
    > a shuttle so it's not very big and it's quiet) and do everything on it, or
    > get a Showcenter or Zensonic and put it there, and do the recording
    > seperatly on
    > a computer in another location.

    But you can't use the Showcenter or Zensonic to watch LiveTV or do TIVO type
    stuff, can you? I would suggest using the Shuttle XPC by the TV, with 5.1
    sound etc to your home theatre system. For secondary TV's such as office,
    bedroom etc you can use the MVP's.

    Otherwise MythTV should do everything you want using pretty much anything
    for clients.

    JohnO, Sep 29, 2004
  18. The Hobbit

    SteveM Guest

    SNIP

    >> Cool, 1 Question:
    >>
    >> Are you Krypton John?
    >>

    > Yeah, that's me, but I didn't do it and I didn't say it! :)
    >
    >> I am seriously looking at a MVP as I am not happy with the
    >> video quality of my current setup, and I want to put the PVR comp
    >> in another room to cut down on noise.

    > What is your current setup?

    Just a P7000 in a P4-2.4 Gig Machine with Geforce2 MX400 and
    and external VGA to SVideo/composite scan converter.

    >> The MVP will be easier for the WAF as well.....

    > There was a killer special in the UK at pcworld.co.uk - they were
    > selling MVP's for 20 quid. I was too late to get some but they are now
    > all popping up on ebay.co.uk for around 30 quid, so if you can get
    > them to airmail to NZ they are a bargain compared to the already
    > cheapish $220 here.

    I am Bigted on the GBPVR forums and did follow this when you first
    reported it.

    > IIRC There are some restictions with the MVP and GBPVR - one of which
    > is that you cannot use the SBE option in GBPVR if you are using an
    > MVP. I think SBE gives shorter buffer delays (as in the delay that
    > LiveTV is behind the broadcast and the channel change delay) plus IIRC
    > the rewind/fastforward in LiveTV only works with SBE on. I think the
    > GBPVR developer is planning to get this fixed at some stage.

    I have not been able to get SBE working in my setup...

    > I'm using the tv-out on my GeForce card to the TV. It's not too bad
    > but not quite as good as the picture straight from the Sky decoder. If
    > you are lucky enough to have a TV that accepts an RGB input (i.e. VGA)
    > then that gives a fantastic picture.

    Cheers,
    SteveM - Bigted
    SteveM, Sep 29, 2004
  19. The Hobbit

    JohnO Guest

    "SteveM" <> wrote in message
    > SNIP
    >

    >>> Cool, 1 Question:
    >>>
    >>> Are you Krypton John?
    >>>

    >> Yeah, that's me, but I didn't do it and I didn't say it! :)
    >>
    >>> I am seriously looking at a MVP as I am not happy with the
    >>> video quality of my current setup, and I want to put the PVR comp
    >>> in another room to cut down on noise.

    >> What is your current setup?

    > Just a P7000 in a P4-2.4 Gig Machine with Geforce2 MX400 and
    > and external VGA to SVideo/composite scan converter.
    >

    >>> The MVP will be easier for the WAF as well.....

    >> There was a killer special in the UK at pcworld.co.uk - they were
    >> selling MVP's for 20 quid. I was too late to get some but they are now
    >> all popping up on ebay.co.uk for around 30 quid, so if you can get
    >> them to airmail to NZ they are a bargain compared to the already
    >> cheapish $220 here.

    > I am Bigted on the GBPVR forums and did follow this when you first
    > reported it.
    >

    >> IIRC There are some restictions with the MVP and GBPVR - one of which
    >> is that you cannot use the SBE option in GBPVR if you are using an
    >> MVP. I think SBE gives shorter buffer delays (as in the delay that
    >> LiveTV is behind the broadcast and the channel change delay) plus IIRC
    >> the rewind/fastforward in LiveTV only works with SBE on. I think the
    >> GBPVR developer is planning to get this fixed at some stage.

    > I have not been able to get SBE working in my setup...
    >>
    >> I'm using the tv-out on my GeForce card to the TV. It's not too bad
    >> but not quite as good as the picture straight from the Sky decoder. If
    >> you are lucky enough to have a TV that accepts an RGB input (i.e. VGA)
    >> then that gives a fantastic picture.
    >>

    > Cheers,
    > SteveM - Bigted

    Oh right - Big Ted!

    How's your picture quality on a VGA monitor?

    What happens when you try to enable SBE?
    JohnO, Sep 29, 2004
  20. The Hobbit

    SteveM Guest

    "JohnO" <> wrote in news:_dw6d.7963$JQ4.579868
    @news.xtra.co.nz:

    SNIP

    >> Cheers,
    >> SteveM - Bigted
    >>

    > Oh right - Big Ted!
    >
    > How's your picture quality on a VGA monitor?
    >
    > What happens when you try to enable SBE?

    On a computer monitor the quality is great (it really
    is dependent on the quality of tv reception, the cards ability
    to encode Mpeg well, and the codec used to playback with (Intervideo
    in my case)

    SBE causes GBPVR to completely freeze requiring a 3 finger salute
    to kill the app and restart.

    Any suggestions?

    SteveM
    SteveM, Sep 29, 2004