    DVD. They sell the entire set of five discs for $64.95 which is better
    value but still not great. I can't imagine many people are buying them.

    Colin
    Colin Caulkins, May 12, 2004

  2. Colin Caulkins

    Biz Guest

    "Colin Caulkins" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I was watching Mythbusters the other day when an ad popped up at the
    > bottom of the screen announcing the availability of Mythbusters on DVD.
    > Out of curiosity, I went to Discovery Channel's website to see what they
    > were offering. The DVDs have only one 50-minute episode per disc and sell
    > for $21.95 each! That has to be the worst value for money I've seen for
    > DVD. They sell the entire set of five discs for $64.95 which is better
    > value but still not great. I can't imagine many people are buying them.
    >
    > Colin

    Hence now you have one reason why they are so expensive...low volume...
    Biz, May 12, 2004

  3. Colin Caulkins

    Pug Fugley Guest

    Same with American Chopper. Same episodes as on TV (minus commercials). No
    extras. Still edited. $20 per ep. Yeah right.

    Pug Fugley, May 13, 2004
  4. Colin Caulkins

    EnEsX Guest

    > Same with American Chopper. Same episodes as on TV (minus commercials). No
    > extras. Still edited. $20 per ep. Yeah right.

    Even worse, if there's a two or three part episode of AC, each part is
    $22. I'm sure they can fit all two/three parts on one DVD and price it
    accordingly. They may bundle them but it still comes out to $45 for
    two/three part episode. I'll keep my taped copy with commercials.
    EnEsX, May 13, 2004
  5. Colin Caulkins

    Stan Brown Guest

    "Colin Caulkins" <> wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >I was watching Mythbusters the other day when an ad popped up at the
    >bottom of the screen announcing the availability of Mythbusters on DVD.
    >Out of curiosity, I went to Discovery Channel's website to see what they
    >were offering. The DVDs have only one 50-minute episode per disc and sell
    >for $21.95 each! That has to be the worst value for money I've seen for
    >DVD. They sell the entire set of five discs for $64.95 which is better
    >value but still not great. I can't imagine many people are buying them.

    Cable networks seem not to understand the successful DVD pricing
    model.

    I went to the Food Network's site to buy some "Good Eats" episodes
    as Christmas gifts. Again, horribly overpriced, something like $20
    for two 20-minute episodes. Needless to say, I didn't buy.

    This reminds me of the old Peanuts carton.

    Panel 1: A lemonade stand, with sign: "Lemonade $100 a glass".

    Panel 2: "Isn't that expensive?"

    Panel 3: "Yes, but think of the profit if we sell just one!"

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Stan Brown, May 13, 2004
  6. Colin Caulkins

    Stan Brown Guest