    your ISP, can this happen?

    Sorry to ask such dumb questions.

    Geopelia

    geopelia, May 24, 2004

  2. geopelia

    Brian Guest

    No you have to be connected to the I-net to have people hacking your phone
    line

    Brian, May 24, 2004

  3. geopelia

    Jackie Guest

    "geopelia" <> wrote in message
    > People are receiving large phone bills for overseas calls they have not
    > made, because somebody gets into their computers. (I don't mean kids in

    the
    > same house, of course)
    >
    > Do you have to be on the Internet and connected to your ISP for this to
    > happen? Can it happen if you are using the Internet at the time, or just

    if
    > you leave the computer connected?
    >
    > If you leave the computer on (say to use Word) without being connected to
    > your ISP, can this happen?
    >
    > Sorry to ask such dumb questions.
    >
    > Geopelia

    Your computer must be connected via your modem to the phone line. What
    happens is that while you are surfing the net you are disconnected then the
    program dials another number and you do not notice what has happened. I have
    a cable modem and my dial up modem is not plugged into the phone socket and
    I have had my computer complaining bitterly that it could not detect a dial
    tone and I never noticed that anything had been downloaded. That was before
    I turned on my virus software and firewall.
    Jackie

    Jackie, May 24, 2004
  4. geopelia

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    geopelia wrote:

    > People are receiving large phone bills for overseas calls they have not
    > made, because somebody gets into their computers. (I don't mean kids in the
    > same house, of course)
    >
    > Do you have to be on the Internet and connected to your ISP for this to
    > happen? Can it happen if you are using the Internet at the time, or just if
    > you leave the computer connected?
    >
    > If you leave the computer on (say to use Word) without being connected to
    > your ISP, can this happen?
    >
    > Sorry to ask such dumb questions.
    >
    > Geopelia

    Yeah, some of those were particularly nasty little buggers. Generally
    they worked by installing a dialer to a premium number (usually overseas
    in our part of the world) and if you were connected would disconnect
    from your normal ISP, switch off the modem speaker, and dial the premium
    number. In most cases the user would be unaware of what was happening
    except that all of a sudden they would be looking at porn or warez sites.

    I got caught once, two or three years ago and since then have changed my
    telephone service to not allow the dialling of overseas or premium
    numbers on the line I use for dialup.

    Programs like Spybot Search and Destroy will look for, and delete the
    little buggers, and a good way to avoid them is to stay away from some
    of the Warez and Porn sites.

    It also doesn't hurt to disconnect your dialup line from the computer
    when not actually using dialup.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, May 24, 2004
  5. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Oldus Fartus" <> wrote in message
    > geopelia wrote:
    >
    > > People are receiving large phone bills for overseas calls they have not
    > > made, because somebody gets into their computers. (I don't mean kids in

    the
    > > same house, of course)
    > >
    > > Do you have to be on the Internet and connected to your ISP for this to
    > > happen? Can it happen if you are using the Internet at the time, or

    just if
    > > you leave the computer connected?
    > >
    > > If you leave the computer on (say to use Word) without being connected

    > > your ISP, can this happen?
    > >
    > > Sorry to ask such dumb questions.
    > >
    > > Geopelia
    > >

    > Yeah, some of those were particularly nasty little buggers. Generally
    > they worked by installing a dialer to a premium number (usually overseas
    > in our part of the world) and if you were connected would disconnect
    > from your normal ISP, switch off the modem speaker, and dial the premium
    > number. In most cases the user would be unaware of what was happening
    > except that all of a sudden they would be looking at porn or warez sites.
    >
    > I got caught once, two or three years ago and since then have changed my
    > telephone service to not allow the dialling of overseas or premium
    > numbers on the line I use for dialup.
    >
    > Programs like Spybot Search and Destroy will look for, and delete the
    > little buggers, and a good way to avoid them is to stay away from some
    > of the Warez and Porn sites.
    >
    > It also doesn't hurt to disconnect your dialup line from the computer
    > when not actually using dialup.
    >
    > --
    > Cheers
    > Oldus Fartus

    I have PC-cillin and keep it up to date.

    Thank you everyone for your help. I don't understand all the technical stuff
    yet.

    Geopelia

    geopelia, May 24, 2004
  6. geopelia

    Ionizer Guest

    "geopelia" <> wrote in message
    > I have PC-cillin and keep it up to date.
    >
    > Thank you everyone for your help. I don't understand all the technical

    stuff
    > yet.

    The freeware SpywareBlaster can prevent dialers and other nasties like
    browser hijackers from installing themselves on your system:

    Regards,
    Ian.

    Ionizer, May 24, 2004
  7. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Ionizer" <> wrote in message
    > "geopelia" <> wrote in message
    > > I have PC-cillin and keep it up to date.
    > >
    > > Thank you everyone for your help. I don't understand all the technical

    > stuff
    > > yet.

    > The freeware SpywareBlaster can prevent dialers and other nasties like
    > browser hijackers from installing themselves on your system:
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ian.

    Thank you. Geopelia

    geopelia, May 24, 2004
  8. geopelia

    Richard Guest

    geopelia wrote:

    > People are receiving large phone bills for overseas calls they have not
    > made, because somebody gets into their computers. (I don't mean kids in
    > the same house, of course)

    > Do you have to be on the Internet and connected to your ISP for this to
    > happen? Can it happen if you are using the Internet at the time, or just
    > if you leave the computer connected?

    > If you leave the computer on (say to use Word) without being connected to
    > your ISP, can this happen?

    > Sorry to ask such dumb questions.

    > Geopelia

    That's what I love about cable. Auto dialers are totally useless.
    Run a firewall like zone alarm and tell it not to allow access for that
    program.
    When it tries to connect, zone alarm will ask you if you want to allow it or
    not. Say no.
    Zone alarm will also tell you where to find the program and you can delete
    it.

    Unless you have some reason to make calls to european countries, ask your
    phone company to block that privilege.

    Richard, May 24, 2004
  9. geopelia

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Mon, 24 May 2004 13:55:48 +0200, "Brian" <> scribbled:

    >No you have to be connected to the I-net to have people hacking your phone
    >line

    Learn to quote, fuckchops.

    Riddles II, v3
    - T. Pratchett

    -= Hawk =-, May 24, 2004
  10. geopelia

    Brian Guest

    quote who... fish face

    Brian, May 24, 2004
  11. geopelia

    Bryan Guest

    Brian wrote:
    > quote who... fish face

    The OP

    Bryan, May 24, 2004
  12. geopelia

    Brian Guest

    what for?? or do you mean just adding the original message in the answer?

    Brian, May 24, 2004
  13. geopelia

    Joel Rubin Guest

    On Mon, 24 May 2004 23:31:23 +1200, "geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    >People are receiving large phone bills for overseas calls they have not
    >made, because somebody gets into their computers. (I don't mean kids in the
    >same house, of course)
    >
    >Do you have to be on the Internet and connected to your ISP for this to
    >happen? Can it happen if you are using the Internet at the time, or just if
    >you leave the computer connected?
    >
    >If you leave the computer on (say to use Word) without being connected to
    >your ISP, can this happen?

    A few years ago, there was a scam directed to North Americans in which
    internet surfers were invited to download a "free porn viewer". It
    silently disconnected the victim's dial-up connection (almost no
    cable/DSL then) and reconnected it to a premium number. The number was
    physically in Canada but its billing location was in Moldova. (between
    Russia and Rumania)

    http://www.businessknowhow.com/newlong.htm

    Eventually U.S. scamees were forgiven the charges to Moldova but they
    still had to pay for a call to Canada. I believe that at least someone
    was caught and prosecuted.

    This sounds like it could be a similar scam - a dialer trojan.

    Are the numbers being dialed those of say am individual in Melbourne
    or those of a local En-Zed premium number which is physically in
    Wellington but billed as a call to American Samoa?

    Joel Rubin, May 24, 2004
  14. geopelia

    Bryan Guest

    Brian wrote:
    > what for?? or do you mean just adding the original message in the
    > answer?

    1. So other people know what you're refering to
    2. Yes

    Tools / Options - "Send" tab - tick "Include message in reply" box

    :)

    Bryan, May 24, 2004
  15. geopelia

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Richard wrote:

    > geopelia wrote:
    >
    > > People are receiving large phone bills for overseas calls they have not
    > > made, because somebody gets into their computers. (I don't mean kids in
    > > the same house, of course)

    > > Do you have to be on the Internet and connected to your ISP for this to
    > > happen? Can it happen if you are using the Internet at the time, or just
    > > if you leave the computer connected?

    > > If you leave the computer on (say to use Word) without being connected to
    > > your ISP, can this happen?

    > > Sorry to ask such dumb questions.

    > > Geopelia

    > That's what I love about cable. Auto dialers are totally useless.

    Well no, they are not. If you still use your modem for backup, or for
    faxing and leave it connected to your telephone line then autodialers
    will still work.

    > Run a firewall like zone alarm and tell it not to allow access for that
    > program.
    > When it tries to connect, zone alarm will ask you if you want to allow it or
    > not. Say no.
    > Zone alarm will also tell you where to find the program and you can delete
    > it.

    Once again, not necessarily. A dialer may not trigger a Zone Alarm
    alert - (try it and see!). A dialer is just dialling a number, and
    once connected, it is using your browser to access the site.
    Presumedly your browser is already permitted to access the net. Think
    about it - Zone Alarm does not generate an alert whenever you send a
    fax using your modem.

    > Unless you have some reason to make calls to european countries, ask your
    > phone company to block that privilege.

    Not just European countries, reports seem to show that African, Asian
    and even Pacific Island numbers are being used as well.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, May 24, 2004
  16. geopelia

    Brian Guest

    "Bryan" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Brian wrote:
    > > what for?? or do you mean just adding the original message in the
    > > answer?

    > 1. So other people know what you're refering to
    > 2. Yes
    >
    > Tools / Options - "Send" tab - tick "Include message in reply" box
    >
    > :)

    yep gathered that and did it. thx for the tip

    :)

    Brian, May 24, 2004
  17. geopelia

    Bryan Guest

    Brian wrote:
    > "Bryan" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >> Brian wrote:
    >>> what for?? or do you mean just adding the original message in the
    >>> answer?

    >> 1. So other people know what you're refering to
    >> 2. Yes
    >>
    >> Tools / Options - "Send" tab - tick "Include message in reply" box
    >>
    >> :)
    >>

    > yep gathered that and did it. thx for the tip
    >
    > :)

    You're welcome!

    Bryan, May 24, 2004
  18. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    > geopelia wrote:
    >
    > > People are receiving large phone bills for overseas calls they have not
    > > made, because somebody gets into their computers. (I don't mean kids in
    > > the same house, of course)

    > > Do you have to be on the Internet and connected to your ISP for this to
    > > happen? Can it happen if you are using the Internet at the time, or

    just
    > > if you leave the computer connected?

    > > If you leave the computer on (say to use Word) without being connected

    > > your ISP, can this happen?

    > > Sorry to ask such dumb questions.

    > > Geopelia

    > That's what I love about cable. Auto dialers are totally useless.
    > Run a firewall like zone alarm and tell it not to allow access for that
    > program.
    > When it tries to connect, zone alarm will ask you if you want to allow it

    or
    > not. Say no.
    > Zone alarm will also tell you where to find the program and you can delete
    > it.
    >
    > Unless you have some reason to make calls to european countries, ask your
    > phone company to block that privilege.

    Thank you. We have relatives in UK though.
    Geopelia

    geopelia, May 25, 2004
  19. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Joel Rubin" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 24 May 2004 23:31:23 +1200, "geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >People are receiving large phone bills for overseas calls they have not
    > >made, because somebody gets into their computers. (I don't mean kids in

    the
    > >same house, of course)
    > >
    > >Do you have to be on the Internet and connected to your ISP for this to
    > >happen? Can it happen if you are using the Internet at the time, or just

    if
    > >you leave the computer connected?
    > >
    > >If you leave the computer on (say to use Word) without being connected to
    > >your ISP, can this happen?
    > >

    > A few years ago, there was a scam directed to North Americans in which
    > internet surfers were invited to download a "free porn viewer". It
    > silently disconnected the victim's dial-up connection (almost no
    > cable/DSL then) and reconnected it to a premium number. The number was
    > physically in Canada but its billing location was in Moldova. (between
    > Russia and Rumania)
    >
    > http://www.businessknowhow.com/newlong.htm
    >
    > Eventually U.S. scamees were forgiven the charges to Moldova but they
    > still had to pay for a call to Canada. I believe that at least someone
    > was caught and prosecuted.
    >
    > This sounds like it could be a similar scam - a dialer trojan.
    >
    > Are the numbers being dialed those of say am individual in Melbourne
    > or those of a local En-Zed premium number which is physically in
    > Wellington but billed as a call to American Samoa?

    I'm not sure but I have heard there is a lot of it going on.

    geopelia, May 25, 2004