    it's safe to remove them.

    Any information greatly appreciated.

    Many thanks.

    Mat, Feb 15, 2006

  2. Mat wrote:
    > Greetings
    >
    > Wonder if anyone can help me out with thoughts on the following. Every time
    > I run Norton System Works 'Cleanup' on my XP machine I get told that there
    > are three temporary files that can't be removed.
    >
    > Two of them are in the C:\Documents and Settings\Name\Local Settings\Temp
    > directory and are executables called 'closedbgout.exe' and
    > 'enableirsocketutil.exe'.
    >
    > The third one is in C:\WINDOWS\Temp and called 'ZLT04aac.tmp'.
    >
    > I can't find anything through Google to suggest what these files are or if
    > it's safe to remove them.
    >
    > Any information greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Many thanks.

    Mat,

    If you would like to e-mail those files to me at
    I will be happy to analyze them for you and
    let you know what they are.

    Nick Skrepetos
    SuperAdBlocker.com | SUPERAntiSpyware
    http://www.superadblocker.com

    Nick Skrepetos, Feb 15, 2006

  3. Mat

    Andy Walker Guest

    Mat wrote:

    >Greetings
    >
    >Wonder if anyone can help me out with thoughts on the following. Every time
    >I run Norton System Works 'Cleanup' on my XP machine I get told that there
    >are three temporary files that can't be removed.
    >
    >Two of them are in the C:\Documents and Settings\Name\Local Settings\Temp
    >directory and are executables called 'closedbgout.exe' and
    >'enableirsocketutil.exe'.
    >
    >The third one is in C:\WINDOWS\Temp and called 'ZLT04aac.tmp'.
    >
    >I can't find anything through Google to suggest what these files are or if
    >it's safe to remove them.
    >
    >Any information greatly appreciated.
    >
    >Many thanks.

    If they're in the "temp" directory then they "should" be able to be
    deleted. Try renaming the files and see if anything quits working, if
    something does then reinstall the software for it (don't install
    directly from an archive file like zip or gz - copy the instal files
    out of the archive first.) If you can't delete the files normally,
    then I would use CrapCleaner to remove them. http://www.ccleaner.com/

    Andy Walker, Feb 16, 2006
  4. Mat

    donnie Guest

    On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 20:15:57 -0000, "Mat"
    <> wrote:

    >Greetings
    >
    >Wonder if anyone can help me out with thoughts on the following. Every time
    >I run Norton System Works 'Cleanup' on my XP machine I get told that there
    >are three temporary files that can't be removed.
    >
    >Two of them are in the C:\Documents and Settings\Name\Local Settings\Temp
    >directory and are executables called 'closedbgout.exe' and
    >'enableirsocketutil.exe'.
    >
    >The third one is in C:\WINDOWS\Temp and called 'ZLT04aac.tmp'.
    >
    >I can't find anything through Google to suggest what these files are or if
    >it's safe to remove them.
    >
    >Any information greatly appreciated.
    >
    >Many thanks.

    ######################################
    Open the task manager and see if those executables are running under
    processes. Then run msconfig and see if they are in the startup.
    Also, search the registry.
    Run netstat -an
    look for any unwanted connections (foreign address column)

    donnie, Feb 16, 2006
  5. In article <>,
    lid says...
    > Mat wrote:
    >
    > >Greetings
    > >
    > >Wonder if anyone can help me out with thoughts on the following. Every time
    > >I run Norton System Works 'Cleanup' on my XP machine I get told that there
    > >are three temporary files that can't be removed.
    > >
    > >Two of them are in the C:\Documents and Settings\Name\Local Settings\Temp
    > >directory and are executables called 'closedbgout.exe' and
    > >'enableirsocketutil.exe'.
    > >
    > >The third one is in C:\WINDOWS\Temp and called 'ZLT04aac.tmp'.
    > >
    > >I can't find anything through Google to suggest what these files are or if
    > >it's safe to remove them.
    > >
    > >Any information greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > >Many thanks.

    > If they're in the "temp" directory then they "should" be able to be
    > deleted. Try renaming the files and see if anything quits working, if
    > something does then reinstall the software for it (don't install
    > directly from an archive file like zip or gz - copy the instal files
    > out of the archive first.) If you can't delete the files normally,
    > then I would use CrapCleaner to remove them. http://www.ccleaner.com/

    First reboot the computer, then try to delete the files. If that fails
    go to Safe Mode and try again to delete. In addition CCleaner mentioned
    above is a great program to have. And yes the full name is Computer
    Crap Cleaner.

    http://www.ccleaner.com/
    --
    James E. Morrow
    Email to:

    James E. Morrow, Feb 16, 2006
  6. Mat

    Stephen Howe Guest

    > Any information greatly appreciated.

    Mat the easiest thing is to upload the files to VirusTotal:
    http://www.virustotal.com/flash/index_en.html

    Last thing I remember a total of 22 Malware detectors is run on your file
    (Ewido, Kaspersky, McAfees, Panda, Sophos, Symantec etc) and a report is
    displayed. If any of those files are Malware, something should register on
    one of these.

    Stephen Howe

    Stephen Howe, Feb 17, 2006
  7. Mat

    milou Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Greetings
    >
    >Wonder if anyone can help me out with thoughts on the following. Every time
    >I run Norton System Works 'Cleanup' on my XP machine I get told that there
    >are three temporary files that can't be removed.
    >
    >Two of them are in the C:\Documents and Settings\Name\Local Settings\Temp
    >directory and are executables called 'closedbgout.exe' and
    >'enableirsocketutil.exe'.
    >
    >The third one is in C:\WINDOWS\Temp and called 'ZLT04aac.tmp'.
    >
    >I can't find anything through Google to suggest what these files are or if
    >it's safe to remove them.

    ZLxxxxx files are Zone Alarm temporary files.
    You cannot delete them when Zone Alarm is running.

    milou, Feb 17, 2006