    --
    God Bless America

    Josh The Bad Bear
    Josh, Jul 16, 2003

  2. Josh rambled on about something in <>:

    > all it says is ~ it is 177kb. Every time i send it to
    > recycle bin it comes back when i reboot. i've virus scanned and
    > trogan scanned it with no results. Also have zone alarm. Don't know
    > what it is. checked properites... all that says is created today
    > size and nothing else. Any ideas how i can get rid of it for good.
    > Can I drag it to a message here and have someone look at it or.. is
    > that incredibly stupid as it may be invasive? Thanks for putting up
    > with dumb questions guys/gals.

    It's not a dumb question. A filename by the name of "~" (Tilde) is
    a backup of the addy book. This is caused by a bug in a MS patch.MS
    has said that they're working on a fix, but I have no idea how long
    it'll be...

    HTH

    NOI

    --

    There must be wonderful paintings on the walls of his ass, for his
    head to be stuck up there for so long...!
    Thund3rstruck, Jul 16, 2003

  3. Josh

    °Mike° Guest

    <Canned response>

    If you have installed the cumulative update for OE, each time
    a contact is added to your address book, a file named "~" is
    created on your desktop when you exit OE or your address book.
    It is just a COPY of your Windows Address Book (*.wab).

    It is caused by the update for OE Q331923 (now Q330994).
    Microsoft are supposedly working on a fix.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/330994/default.asp
    How to uninstall
    To remove the download, complete the following steps:

    On the Start menu, point to Settings and then click Control
    Panel. (In Windows XP, click Start and then click Control
    Panel.)
    Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
    In the list of currently installed programs, select Q330994
    and then click Remove or Add/Remove. If a dialog box appears,
    follow the instructions to remove the program.
    Click Yes or OK to confirm that you want to remove the program.

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 19:12:04 -0500, in
    <>
    Josh scrawled:

    >all it says is ~ it is 177kb. Every time i send it to recycle
    >bin it comes back when i reboot. i've virus scanned and trogan scanned it
    >with no results. Also have zone alarm. Don't know what it is. checked
    >properites... all that says is created today size and nothing else. Any
    >ideas how i can get rid of it for good. Can I drag it to a message here and
    >have someone look at it or.. is that incredibly stupid as it may be
    >invasive? Thanks for putting up with dumb questions guys/gals.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jul 16, 2003
  4. Josh

    Brian H¹© Guest

    philo said:

    > "Josh" <> wrote in message
    >> all it says is ~ it is 177kb. Every time i send it to recycle
    >> bin it comes back when i reboot. i've virus scanned and trogan scanned it
    >> with no results. Also have zone alarm. Don't know what it is. checked
    >> properites... all that says is created today size and nothing else. Any
    >> ideas how i can get rid of it for good. Can I drag it to a message here and
    >> have someone look at it or.. is that incredibly stupid as it may be
    >> invasive? Thanks for putting up with dumb questions guys/gals.
    >>

    > you can simply delete it
    > that's just a copy of your address book...
    > it's due to some minor bug in one of microsoft's updates...
    > supposedly there's a fix comming...
    > but at any rate, it's nothing to worry about

    I bet Santa comes first :-D

    --
    www.absey-vine.co.uk/
    freeware, helpdesk, ad-aware mirror