    I am running Windows XP HE, and the only harware that could conceivably be
    causing the problem would be my motherboard - Elite K7VTA3 v3.1

    Thanks in advance

    Joe Warrington, Jun 29, 2003

  2. Joe Warrington

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Joe Warrington deftly scribbled:

    > Slight problem - when I shut down the computer it restarts just as it
    > turns off as if I had chosen the 'restart' option from the shutdown
    > menu. Therefore I have to wait until the computer is in the rebooting
    > process before I can shut it down from the case power button - pretty
    > annoying.
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas? Turning it off from the mains for a period
    > appears to help for a time, which suggests the problem could be
    > hardware related?
    >
    > I am running Windows XP HE, and the only harware that could
    > conceivably be causing the problem would be my motherboard - Elite
    > K7VTA3 v3.1
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm
    "Shutdown problems in Windows XP can be caused by many factors, just like
    earlier versions of Windows. These included: a damaged exit sound file;
    incorrectly configured, damaged, or incompatible hardware; conflicting
    programs, or an incompatible, damaged, or conflicting device driver."

    --
    ....................................Paul-xxx
    Paul - xxx, Jun 29, 2003

  3. Joe Warrington

    °Mike° Guest

    Windows XP Restarts When You Try to Shut Down Your Computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?id=kb;en-us;311806

    On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 22:16:03 +0100, in
    <qGILa.96$>
    Joe Warrington scrawled:

    >Slight problem - when I shut down the computer it restarts just as it turns
    >off as if I had chosen the 'restart' option from the shutdown menu.
    >Therefore I have to wait until the computer is in the rebooting process
    >before I can shut it down from the case power button - pretty annoying.
    >
    >Anyone have any ideas? Turning it off from the mains for a period appears to
    >help for a time, which suggests the problem could be hardware related?
    >
    >I am running Windows XP HE, and the only harware that could conceivably be
    >causing the problem would be my motherboard - Elite K7VTA3 v3.1
    >
    >Thanks in advance

    STGP, OGPE24HSHD
    °Mike°, Jun 29, 2003