    my eyes...drip...drip...dripping.

    What gives?
    http://www.pbase.com/image/47771244
    Mark², Aug 16, 2005

  2. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    news:gLiMe.2405$ct5.2247@fed1read04...
    > What the heck?
    >
    > I found this little white blob on a sunny, dry day in the Olympic Forest.
    >
    > No rain...nothing else was damp, and yet this thing sat there right before
    > my eyes...drip...drip...dripping.
    >
    > What gives?
    > http://www.pbase.com/image/47771244

    I should add that it is about two inches across...
    Mark², Aug 16, 2005

  3. Mark²

    Mike Warren Guest

    Mark² wrote:
    >> What the heck?
    >>
    >> I found this little white blob on a sunny, dry day in the Olympic
    >> Forest. No rain...nothing else was damp, and yet this thing sat there
    >> right
    >> before my eyes...drip...drip...dripping.
    >>
    >> What gives?
    >> http://www.pbase.com/image/47771244

    > I should add that it is about two inches across...

    What did the liquid taste like? ;-)

    -Mike
    Mike Warren, Aug 16, 2005
  4. In article <gLiMe.2405$ct5.2247@fed1read04>,
    "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:

    > What the heck?
    >
    > I found this little white blob on a sunny, dry day in the Olympic Forest.
    >
    > No rain...nothing else was damp, and yet this thing sat there right before
    > my eyes...drip...drip...dripping.
    >
    > What gives?
    > http://www.pbase.com/image/47771244

    Its a fungus, or an alien life form. Did you think to attempt tasting it.
    --
    Would thou choose to meet a rat eating dragon, or
    a dragon, eating rat? The answer of: I am somewhere
    Little Green Eyed Dragon, Aug 16, 2005
  5. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    "Little Green Eyed Dragon" <> wrote
    in message
    > In article <gLiMe.2405$ct5.2247@fed1read04>,
    > "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:
    >
    >> What the heck?
    >>
    >> I found this little white blob on a sunny, dry day in the Olympic Forest.
    >>
    >> No rain...nothing else was damp, and yet this thing sat there right
    >> before
    >> my eyes...drip...drip...dripping.
    >>
    >> What gives?
    >> http://www.pbase.com/image/47771244

    > Its a fungus, or an alien life form. Did you think to attempt tasting it.

    I did.
    It must have been poison, though, cause I died right quick...
    -This is the ghost of Mark²

    Oooooo-OOOO-oooo-clank-clank...
    Mark², Aug 16, 2005
  6. Mark²

    John Denk Guest

    On Tuesday, August 16, 2005, mjmorgan@cox..net wrote:

    >What the heck?
    >I found this little white blob on a sunny,
    > dry day in the Olympic Forest.

    >No rain...nothing else was damp, and yet
    > this thing sat there right before my
    > eyes...drip...drip...dripping.

    >What gives?

    >http://www.pbase.com/image/47771244

    Definitely a mushroom/fungus, probably in the Inonotus genus. Mushrooms
    in this genus commonly "weep" like that. A fairly common species up here
    in the midwest is Inonotus dryadeus, found on Oak wood, might be yours
    too.

    John

    Visit my web pages, Mushrooms of the Chicago Region at:
    http://community.webtv.net/Mycofan/Mushroomsofthe , also my fractal
    art page at http://community.webtv.net/Inspiring2/MyDigitalArt
    John Denk, Aug 16, 2005
  7. In article <gLiMe.2405$ct5.2247@fed1read04>, Mark² < here)@cox..net>
    wrote:

    > What the heck?
    >
    > I found this little white blob on a sunny, dry day in the Olympic Forest.
    >
    > No rain...nothing else was damp, and yet this thing sat there right before
    > my eyes...drip...drip...dripping.
    >
    > What gives?

    What are you doing in my neck of the woods? :)
    Randall Ainsworth, Aug 16, 2005
  8. Mark²

    Jer Guest

    Mark² wrote:
    > What the heck?
    >
    > I found this little white blob on a sunny, dry day in the Olympic Forest.
    >
    > No rain...nothing else was damp, and yet this thing sat there right before
    > my eyes...drip...drip...dripping.
    >
    > What gives?
    > http://www.pbase.com/image/47771244

    Were there other blobs around? Maybe it's some sort of gall from that
    wood borer. Failing all that, I would've carved it up to see what
    jumped out at my face.

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'
    Jer, Aug 16, 2005
  9. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    "Randall Ainsworth" <> wrote in message
    > In article <gLiMe.2405$ct5.2247@fed1read04>, Mark² < here)@cox..net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> What the heck?
    >>
    >> I found this little white blob on a sunny, dry day in the Olympic Forest.
    >>
    >> No rain...nothing else was damp, and yet this thing sat there right
    >> before
    >> my eyes...drip...drip...dripping.
    >>
    >> What gives?

    > What are you doing in my neck of the woods? :)

    Really?
    My wife and I spent two weeks driving from Southern Cal...all the way to
    Victoria and back...along with everything in-between on the 101. Great
    trip. Mostly crummy weather for photography (bright sun, no clouds) in
    under the forest canopy...but a nice trip anyway.

    Where are you?
    Mark², Aug 16, 2005
  10. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    "John Denk" <> wrote in message
    > On Tuesday, August 16, 2005, mjmorgan@cox..net wrote:
    >
    >>What the heck?
    >>I found this little white blob on a sunny,
    >> dry day in the Olympic Forest.

    >>No rain...nothing else was damp, and yet
    >> this thing sat there right before my
    >> eyes...drip...drip...dripping.

    >>What gives?

    >>http://www.pbase.com/image/47771244

    > Definitely a mushroom/fungus, probably in the Inonotus genus. Mushrooms
    > in this genus commonly "weep" like that. A fairly common species up here
    > in the midwest is Inonotus dryadeus, found on Oak wood, might be yours
    > too.
    >
    > John

    That's definitely what it LOOKED like, but I couldn't figure out where all
    the water kept coming from. Does is suck it out of the tree? It was losing
    a lot of water, with frequent drips, and as I said...it had been quite dry
    there for some days.

    Thanks for the post, and any other curiosity satisfying...
    :)
    Mark
    Mark², Aug 16, 2005
  11. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    "Jer" <> wrote in message
    Mark² wrote:
    >> What the heck?

    >> I found this little white blob on a sunny, dry day in the Olympic Forest.

    >> No rain...nothing else was damp, and yet this thing sat there right
    >> before my eyes...drip...drip...dripping.

    >> What gives?
    >> http://www.pbase.com/image/47771244

    >Were there other blobs around? Maybe it's some sort of gall from that wood
    >borer. Failing all that, I would've carved it up to see what jumped out at
    >my face.

    You're gonna give me nightmares...
    Mark², Aug 16, 2005
  12. Mark²

    BJ in Texas Guest

    Mark² <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:
    || "John Denk" <> wrote in message
    ||| Definitely a mushroom/fungus, probably in the Inonotus
    ||| genus. Mushrooms
    ||| in this genus commonly "weep" like that. A fairly common
    ||| species up here in the midwest is Inonotus dryadeus, found
    ||| on Oak wood, might be yours too.
    ||| John
    || That's definitely what it LOOKED like, but I couldn't figure
    || out where all the water kept coming from. Does is suck it
    || out of the tree? It was losing a lot of water, with frequent
    || drips, and as I said...it had been quite dry there for some
    || days.
    || Thanks for the post, and any other curiosity satisfying...
    || :)
    || Mark

    Mushrooms are a large percentage water, it was likely giving
    up some of its absorbed moisture.

    BJ
    --
    "There are two types of idiots: those born that way - and those
    that make it a profession......."
    BJ in Texas, Aug 16, 2005
  13. In article <wJlMe.2431$ct5.525@fed1read04>, Mark² < here)@cox..net>
    wrote:

    > Really?
    > My wife and I spent two weeks driving from Southern Cal...all the way to
    > Victoria and back...along with everything in-between on the 101. Great
    > trip. Mostly crummy weather for photography (bright sun, no clouds) in
    > under the forest canopy...but a nice trip anyway.
    >
    > Where are you?

    I'm in Aberdeen, about 35 miles from the Lake Quinault area. If you
    came up 101, you probably drove right past my house (I'm on the main
    drag).

    Haven't been up to the rain forest since earlier this year but it's
    always a good place for photographs.
    Randall Ainsworth, Aug 16, 2005
  14. Mark²

    > In article <wJlMe.2431$ct5.525@fed1read04>, Mark² < here)@cox..net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Really?
    >> My wife and I spent two weeks driving from Southern Cal...all the way to
    >> Victoria and back...along with everything in-between on the 101. Great
    >> trip. Mostly crummy weather for photography (bright sun, no clouds) in
    >> under the forest canopy...but a nice trip anyway.
    >>
    >> Where are you?

    > I'm in Aberdeen, about 35 miles from the Lake Quinault area. If you
    > came up 101, you probably drove right past my house (I'm on the main
    > drag).
    >
    > Haven't been up to the rain forest since earlier this year but it's
    > always a good place for photographs.

    Ya, except under bright sun, shooting under the canopy means there are
    little blown-out hot-spots hwerever the sunbeams shine through... Pretty
    well impossible to take wide undergrowth pics...

    I was hoping for some nice, bright, even overcast...but never got any.
    Mark², Aug 16, 2005
  15. Mark² wrote:
    > "Randall Ainsworth" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <wJlMe.2431$ct5.525@fed1read04>, Mark² < here)@cox..net>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Really?
    >>> My wife and I spent two weeks driving from Southern Cal...all the
    >>> way to Victoria and back...along with everything in-between on the
    >>> 101. Great trip. Mostly crummy weather for photography (bright
    >>> sun, no clouds) in under the forest canopy...but a nice trip anyway.
    >>>
    >>> Where are you?

    >> I'm in Aberdeen, about 35 miles from the Lake Quinault area. If you
    >> came up 101, you probably drove right past my house (I'm on the main
    >> drag).
    >>
    >> Haven't been up to the rain forest since earlier this year but it's
    >> always a good place for photographs.

    > Ya, except under bright sun, shooting under the canopy means there are
    > little blown-out hot-spots hwerever the sunbeams shine through...
    > Pretty well impossible to take wide undergrowth pics...
    >
    > I was hoping for some nice, bright, even overcast...but never got any.

    Like we've had today across western Washington... Golly, I love our
    Pacific Ocean air conditioning!

    Bob ^,,^
    Bob Harrington, Aug 17, 2005
  16. Mark²

    Roe Thomas Guest

    I believe what you've photo of is a tree toad egg mass, at times mistaken as
    frogs. Roe

    Roe Thomas, Aug 17, 2005
  17. Mark²

    Roe Thomas, Aug 17, 2005
  18. Mark²

    Roe Thomas, Aug 17, 2005
  19. Mark²

    Roe Thomas, Aug 17, 2005
  20. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    "Bob Harrington" <> wrote in message
    > Mark² wrote:
    >> "Randall Ainsworth" <> wrote in message

    >>> I'm in Aberdeen, about 35 miles from the Lake Quinault area. If you
    >>> came up 101, you probably drove right past my house (I'm on the main
    >>> drag).
    >>>
    >>> Haven't been up to the rain forest since earlier this year but it's
    >>> always a good place for photographs.

    >> Ya, except under bright sun, shooting under the canopy means there are
    >> little blown-out hot-spots hwerever the sunbeams shine through... Pretty
    >> well impossible to take wide undergrowth pics...
    >>
    >> I was hoping for some nice, bright, even overcast...but never got any.

    > Like we've had today across western Washington... Golly, I love our
    > Pacific Ocean air conditioning!

    Ya...the day we had to leave the Olympic area, it started with nice
    overcast.
    Timing is everything, and mine wasn't there. These are things that would be
    different had I been by myself. If I didn't have my wife's boredom to
    contend with (though she is VERY patient), I would have stayed several days
    waiting for weather, if necessary.
    :(
    On the other hand...I'm lucky to haev a wife who lets me stop every 10
    seconds for pictures.
    :)
    Mark², Aug 17, 2005