Mysterious SD Card Problem

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Morton, May 18, 2007.

  1. Morton

    Morton Guest

    Hi,

    I have a mysterious (to me) problem with an SD card, SanDisk UltraII
    Plus, used in my Canon SD 800 IS. In 10 years of SanDisk cards, I never
    had a problem before. Anyhow, I have 49 images on the card. Inasmuch as
    some of them are important, I copied them onto my PC hard drive, and
    then burned a CD-R backup, and printed index thumb prints. That all went
    smoothly. Then, when I put the SD card back into the camera, I got a "no
    image" message on the LCD screen. I tried several times, removing and
    re-inserting the card, with the same results. The card was not locked. I
    tried the card in another camera, a Canon SD 550, and also got a "no
    image" message. The strange thing is, when I now re-inserted the card
    into my HP printer, all the images came up on its screen. I then tried
    other used cards in the SD 800 camera, and they all worked well.Even
    when the cameras said no image with the bad card, the total number of
    remaining images was that of 49 images on the card and the rest blank,
    so the images are there somewhere on the card.

    Understandably, I will not use the bad card any more, not trusting it. I
    just wonder why it works in my printer, but not in my cameras. Thank
    goodness, that the problem occurred just after I backed it up.

    Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated.

    Thanks.

    Morton

    Morton, May 18, 2007

  2. Morton

    AZ Nomad Guest

    On Thu, 17 May 2007 20:50:24 -0400, Morton <> wrote:

    >Understandably, I will not use the bad card any more, not trusting it. I
    >just wonder why it works in my printer, but not in my cameras. Thank
    >goodness, that the problem occurred just after I backed it up.

    reformat it in the camera. if that doesn't cure it then chuck it.

    In the future, make sure you always "stop" it before removing it from a
    computer where you've done any writing or deleting. If the camera has an
    indication when the card is still active, always wait for the card to be
    inactive before removing it.

    AZ Nomad, May 18, 2007

  3. Morton

    Morton Guest

    AZ Nomad wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 May 2007 20:50:24 -0400, Morton <> wrote:
    >

    >> Understandably, I will not use the bad card any more, not trusting it. I
    >> just wonder why it works in my printer, but not in my cameras. Thank
    >> goodness, that the problem occurred just after I backed it up.

    > reformat it in the camera. if that doesn't cure it then chuck it.
    >
    > In the future, make sure you always "stop" it before removing it from a
    > computer where you've done any writing or deleting. If the camera has an
    > indication when the card is still active, always wait for the card to be
    > inactive before removing it.

    Hi Nomad,

    Thanks for the advice. I always wait until either the blinking light is
    continuous, or until the power is off on the device, before removing the
    card from any device. I know that reformatting will delete all the
    images on the card, which is OK inasmuch as I have the double backup.
    The problem is one of trust. I do not trust the card for future use,
    especially on trips or at important occasions. I'll never know whether
    or not it is going to work.

    Again, thanks for your reply.

    Morton

    Morton, May 18, 2007
  4. Morton

    AZ Nomad Guest

    On Thu, 17 May 2007 21:18:55 -0400, Morton <> wrote:

    >AZ Nomad wrote:
    >> On Thu, 17 May 2007 20:50:24 -0400, Morton <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> Understandably, I will not use the bad card any more, not trusting it. I
    >>> just wonder why it works in my printer, but not in my cameras. Thank
    >>> goodness, that the problem occurred just after I backed it up.

    >> reformat it in the camera. if that doesn't cure it then chuck it.
    >>
    >> In the future, make sure you always "stop" it before removing it from a
    >> computer where you've done any writing or deleting. If the camera has an
    >> indication when the card is still active, always wait for the card to be
    >> inactive before removing it.

    >Hi Nomad,

    >Thanks for the advice. I always wait until either the blinking light is
    >continuous, or until the power is off on the device, before removing the
    >card from any device. I know that reformatting will delete all the
    >images on the card, which is OK inasmuch as I have the double backup.
    >The problem is one of trust. I do not trust the card for future use,
    >especially on trips or at important occasions. I'll never know whether
    >or not it is going to work.

    If it doesn't screw up in the next 20-50 photos, it probably won't screw up
    again. Maybe replace it anyway.

    AZ Nomad, May 18, 2007
  5. Morton

    Morton Guest

    AZ Nomad wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 May 2007 21:18:55 -0400, Morton <> wrote:
    >

    >> AZ Nomad wrote:

    >>> reformat it in the camera. if that doesn't cure it then chuck it.
    >>>
    >>> In the future, make sure you always "stop" it before removing it from a
    >>> computer where you've done any writing or deleting. If the camera has an
    >>> indication when the card is still active, always wait for the card to be
    >>> inactive before removing it.

    >> Hi Nomad,

    >> Thanks for the advice. I always wait until either the blinking light is
    >> continuous, or until the power is off on the device, before removing the
    >> card from any device. I know that reformatting will delete all the
    >> images on the card, which is OK inasmuch as I have the double backup.
    >> The problem is one of trust. I do not trust the card for future use,
    >> especially on trips or at important occasions. I'll never know whether
    >> or not it is going to work.

    > If it doesn't screw up in the next 20-50 photos, it probably won't screw up
    > again. Maybe replace it anyway.

    Yes, it is not worth the worry and insecurity, especially now that a 1GB
    card is only about $20.- each. When they cost close to $100.-, then it
    was a big problem. Remember, the most sensitive nerve in the body is the
    wallet nerve.

    Thanks again.

    Morton

    Morton, May 18, 2007
  6. Morton

    Clem Dye Guest

    Morton wrote:
    > AZ Nomad wrote:
    >> On Thu, 17 May 2007 20:50:24 -0400, Morton <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> Understandably, I will not use the bad card any more, not trusting
    >>> it. I just wonder why it works in my printer, but not in my cameras.
    >>> Thank goodness, that the problem occurred just after I backed it up.

    >> reformat it in the camera. if that doesn't cure it then chuck it.
    >>
    >> In the future, make sure you always "stop" it before removing it from a
    >> computer where you've done any writing or deleting. If the camera has an
    >> indication when the card is still active, always wait for the card to be
    >> inactive before removing it.

    > Hi Nomad,
    >
    > Thanks for the advice. I always wait until either the blinking light is
    > continuous, or until the power is off on the device, before removing the
    > card from any device. I know that reformatting will delete all the
    > images on the card, which is OK inasmuch as I have the double backup.
    > The problem is one of trust. I do not trust the card for future use,
    > especially on trips or at important occasions. I'll never know whether
    > or not it is going to work.
    >
    > Again, thanks for your reply.
    >
    > Morton

    For Windows users there's a handy little utility on the Microsoft
    website called sync.exe (ex-SysInternals). This flushes all data from
    the system's cache. Always use the 'Safely Remove Hardware' option too
    to avoid any problems.

    In terms of the card, I'd format it in camera then use it for some
    non-important/test shots, to see what happens. I suspect that it will be
    OK, but to whether it can be trusted in future is obviously down to you.

    Clem

    Clem Dye, May 18, 2007
  7. Morton

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Morton wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a mysterious (to me) problem with an SD card, SanDisk UltraII
    > Plus, used in my Canon SD 800 IS. In 10 years of SanDisk cards, I never
    > had a problem before. Anyhow, I have 49 images on the card. Inasmuch as
    > some of them are important, I copied them onto my PC hard drive, and
    > then burned a CD-R backup, and printed index thumb prints. That all went
    > smoothly. Then, when I put the SD card back into the camera, I got a "no
    > image" message on the LCD screen. I tried several times, removing and
    > re-inserting the card, with the same results. The card was not locked. I
    > tried the card in another camera, a Canon SD 550, and also got a "no
    > image" message. The strange thing is, when I now re-inserted the card
    > into my HP printer, all the images came up on its screen. I then tried
    > other used cards in the SD 800 camera, and they all worked well.Even
    > when the cameras said no image with the bad card, the total number of
    > remaining images was that of 49 images on the card and the rest blank,
    > so the images are there somewhere on the card.
    >
    > Understandably, I will not use the bad card any more, not trusting it. I
    > just wonder why it works in my printer, but not in my cameras. Thank
    > goodness, that the problem occurred just after I backed it up.
    >
    > Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Morton

    It's possible some other needed file on the card was deleted or
    currupted. This may bother the camera but not other software which
    simply looks for images. If I'm guessing correctly a format should fix
    it. Do that, use it a while then try to retrace whatever you did outside
    the camera and see if problem repeats.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, May 18, 2007
  8. Morton

    Morton Guest

    Dave Cohen wrote:
    > Morton wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have a mysterious (to me) problem with an SD card, SanDisk UltraII
    >> Plus, used in my Canon SD 800 IS. In 10 years of SanDisk cards, I
    >> never had a problem before. Anyhow, I have 49 images on the card.
    >> Inasmuch as some of them are important, I copied them onto my PC hard
    >> drive, and then burned a CD-R backup, and printed index thumb prints.
    >> That all went smoothly. Then, when I put the SD card back into the
    >> camera, I got a "no image" message on the LCD screen. I tried several
    >> times, removing and re-inserting the card, with the same results. The
    >> card was not locked. I tried the card in another camera, a Canon SD
    >> 550, and also got a "no image" message. The strange thing is, when I
    >> now re-inserted the card into my HP printer, all the images came up on
    >> its screen. I then tried other used cards in the SD 800 camera, and
    >> they all worked well.Even when the cameras said no image with the bad
    >> card, the total number of remaining images was that of 49 images on
    >> the card and the rest blank, so the images are there somewhere on the
    >> card.
    >>
    >> Understandably, I will not use the bad card any more, not trusting it.
    >> I just wonder why it works in my printer, but not in my cameras. Thank
    >> goodness, that the problem occurred just after I backed it up.
    >>
    >> Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> Morton

    > It's possible some other needed file on the card was deleted or
    > currupted. This may bother the camera but not other software which
    > simply looks for images. If I'm guessing correctly a format should fix
    > it. Do that, use it a while then try to retrace whatever you did outside
    > the camera and see if problem repeats.
    > Dave Cohen

    Hi,

    Thanks again for the helpful suggestions. I do always follow the "safely
    remove" precautions, and I do wait for the blinking activity light to
    become steady before removing the SD card from a device. Again, I simply
    do not trust that particular card any more.

    Morton

    Morton, May 18, 2007