    non-awful rotation software, but I really shouldn't have to be rotating
    my pictures in the first place.

    , May 31, 2005

  2. On 31 May 2005 10:20:44 -0700, wrote:

    >Most of my digital camera images come out fine, but a few seem to be
    >broken up into lots of little squares, or lots of vertical lines, or
    >horizontal lines. The little squares are JPEG doing an unreasonably
    >bad job. It happened for a wide range of resolutions, supposed
    >JPEG-qualities, and different cameras. I've run into other people who
    >have had the same problem with totally different setups.
    >
    >Well, I finally figured out what was going on. The little-square
    >problem was plaguing ONLY THE PICTURES I'D ROTATED. The software I was
    >using claimed that rotation was a lossless operation, but it wasn't.
    >There wasn't anything wrong with any of the cameras after all. The
    >originals had been fine. But I'd corrupted them (alas, unrecoverably
    >now) by doing a rotate.
    >
    >Humph. How come digital cameras don't contain a plumb-bob that tells
    >them how the camera was oriented when the picture was taken, so they
    >can orient the picture correctly themselves? Sure, I can find some
    >non-awful rotation software, but I really shouldn't have to be rotating
    >my pictures in the first place.

    Some do and Adobe's Bridge displays them correctly by reading this up.

    "The condition of civil affairs in Texas is anomalous,
    singular, and unsatisfactory."

    Maj. Gen. Philip H. Sherdan
    Bvt. Maj. Gen. John A. Rawlins
    November 14, 1866

    John A. Stovall, May 31, 2005

  3. Paul Furman Guest

    wrote:

    > Most of my digital camera images come out fine, but a few seem to be
    > broken up into lots of little squares, or lots of vertical lines, or
    > horizontal lines. The little squares are JPEG doing an unreasonably
    > bad job. It happened for a wide range of resolutions, supposed
    > JPEG-qualities, and different cameras. I've run into other people who
    > have had the same problem with totally different setups.
    >
    > Well, I finally figured out what was going on. The little-square
    > problem was plaguing ONLY THE PICTURES I'D ROTATED. The software I was
    > using claimed that rotation was a lossless operation, but it wasn't.
    > There wasn't anything wrong with any of the cameras after all. The
    > originals had been fine. But I'd corrupted them (alas, unrecoverably
    > now) by doing a rotate.
    >
    > Humph. How come digital cameras don't contain a plumb-bob that tells
    > them how the camera was oriented when the picture was taken, so they
    > can orient the picture correctly themselves?

    Some do! But you normally have to use the crummy software that comes
    with the camera to benefit then other programs will maybe re-read it &
    re-rotate & all sorts of confusion.

    > Sure, I can find some
    > non-awful rotation software, but I really shouldn't have to be rotating
    > my pictures in the first place.

    Irfanview is good for this. Use the shortcut shift-J for lossless rotating.

    --
    Paul Furman
    http://www.edgehill.net/1

    Paul Furman, May 31, 2005
  4. Owamanga Guest

    On 31 May 2005 10:20:44 -0700, wrote:

    >Humph. How come digital cameras don't contain a plumb-bob that tells
    >them how the camera was oriented when the picture was taken, so they
    >can orient the picture correctly themselves? Sure, I can find some
    >non-awful rotation software, but I really shouldn't have to be rotating
    >my pictures in the first place.

    My D70 does, as I'm sure do most DSLRs. Finding software that takes
    any notice of the orientation flag can be a problem. At least half of
    what's out there ignore it.

    --
    Owamanga!
    http://www.pbase.com/owamanga