Mysterious Folders Have Appeared

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Julie P., Jun 13, 2004.

  1. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    Hi, in my Windows 98SE computer, I was looking through some of my Outlook
    Express 6 identities folders in:

    C > Windows > Application Data

    and as I was double clicking through the following folders:

    Identities > [long identity number here] > Microsoft > Outlook Express

    I managed to click too much apparently, and 10-11 new files/folders suddenly
    appeared in the "Application Data", along with the "identities" folder. They
    do not belong here, I'm pretty sure:

    1) Adobe folder > Acrobat > 6.0 > [etc.]
    2) AdobeUM folder (empty)
    3) Fujifilm folder > Gfnap2 > Settings folder, Temporary folder > [etc.]
    4) Hummingbird folder > Connectivity folder > [etc.]

    5) Microsoft folder > Address Book folder [has OE6 address book here],
    Internet Explorer folder, Office folder, Media Player folder, Tune Up
    folder, Welcome folder, Crypto folder, HTML Help folder. Installer folder
    [may have other identities here??] > [etc.]

    6) Mozilla folder > registry.dat, Profiles folder, Users50 folder > [etc.]

    7) Spybot - Search & Destroy folder > Backup folder, Backups Folder,
    Excluded folder, Logs folder, Recovery folder, configuration > [etc.]

    8) Vividence folder > Vividence connector > [etc.]
    9) dm
    10) dw
    11) uninstall

    So I decided to move the above folders to my "C" > "Windows" folder instead.
    Then I restarted. After I restarted, it said Windows could not locate my
    active desktop file, and said click "ok" to turn off active desktop. So I
    clicked of, and then I moved everything back to the "Application Data"
    folder. I am not sure where the "uninstall" file I listed above came from.

    So, I was wondering where should I put the above folders/files?
    How did I manage to do this (what exactly did I do?) and how do I prevent
    this again?

    Thanks!
    Julie P., Jun 13, 2004

  2. Julie P.

    Shel-hed Guest

    On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 22:40:09 -0400, "Julie P." <> wrote in
    24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >Hi, in my Windows 98SE computer, I was looking through some of my Outlook
    >Express 6 identities folders in:
    >
    >C > Windows > Application Data

    <snip mysterious moved folders story>
    >So, I was wondering where should I put the above folders/files?
    >How did I manage to do this (what exactly did I do?) and how do I prevent
    >this again?

    You probably accidentally clicked and dragged them.
    Next time, click edit/undo (or undo move, whatever).
    Buy a Windows for dummies book and work through it.
    ...,
    Shel.
    (Who knows that you won't buy the book, you'll just keep asking people like me.)
    *Sniff*.

    <Blam . . . Flump>
    Shel-hed, Jun 13, 2004

  3. Julie P.

    °Mike° Guest

    Yes, they do. That's why it's called "Application Data".
    Put them back where you found them.

    On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 22:40:09 -0400, in
    <>
    Julie P. scrawled:

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jun 13, 2004
  4. Julie P.

    hummingbird Guest

    On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 22:40:09 -0400, "Julie P."
    <>
    mysteriously appeared thru the usenet mist to inform us thus...

    >1) Adobe folder > Acrobat > 6.0 > [etc.]
    >2) AdobeUM folder (empty)
    >3) Fujifilm folder > Gfnap2 > Settings folder, Temporary folder > [etc.]

    >4) Hummingbird folder > Connectivity folder > [etc.]

    That's the folder to keep your pictures of me in ;;--))
    hummingbird, Jun 13, 2004
  5. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > Yes, they do. That's why it's called "Application Data".
    > Put them back where you found them.

    Ok, thanks. I did so. But how do you know they belong there, since there are
    other Application Data folders also in my computer? Should I uninstall then
    reinstall programs like Adobe (which was one of the folders) to make sure
    they are in the right place?

    Also, there is one uninstall log that I put in the Application Data folder
    that might not have actually been there before, since I had all those other
    folders in the Program Files folder before you told me to put them back, and
    the uninstall log might have been accidentally brought back with them to the
    Application Data folder. The uninstall log would have been right next to the
    brought-back folders while I had them in the Program Files folder. Can you
    tell me where it belongs? Here is what I found when I opened it:

    [Header]
    Signature=VISE
    Version=0001
    RemoveInUseFiles=0
    RegistryKeyName=
    Product Name=

    [Directories2]
    0=C:\Program Files
    count=6
    1=C:\Program Files\Ws_ftp||1
    2=C:\WINDOWS
    3=C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu
    4=C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs
    5=C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\WS_FTP LE 5.08||1

    [IniEntries]
    0=WS_FTP,VERSION,C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI,2000.02.23
    1=WS_FTP,DIR,C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI,C:\Program Files\WS_FTP
    2=WS_FTP,DEFDIR,C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI,C:\Program Files\WS_FTP
    3=WS_FTP,GROUP,C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI,WS_FTP
    4=WS_FTP,INSTOPTS,C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI,4
    5=WS_FTP,WS_FTP95,C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI,
    6=WS_FTP,VERSION,C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI,2000.02.23
    7=WS_FTP,VERSION,C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI,2000.02.23
    8=WS_FTP,DIR,C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI,C:\Program Files\WS_FTP
    9=WS_FTP,DEFDIR,C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI,C:\Program Files\WS_FTP
    10=WS_FTP,GROUP,C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI,WS_FTP
    11=WS_FTP,INSTOPTS,C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI,4
    12=WS_FTP,WS_FTP95,C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI,
    13=WS_FTP,VERSION,C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI,2000.02.23

    [Files]
    count=9
    0=C:\Program Files\Ws_ftp\complete.wav
    1=C:\Program Files\Ws_ftp\connect.wav
    2=C:\Program Files\Ws_ftp\error.wav
    3=C:\Program Files\Ws_ftp\whatsnew.txt
    4=C:\Program Files\Ws_ftp\WSFTP32.dll
    5=C:\Program Files\Ws_ftp\WS_FTP.hlp
    6=C:\Program Files\Ws_ftp\WS_FTP.ini
    7=C:\Program Files\Ws_ftp\WS_FTP95.exe
    8=C:\Program Files\Ws_ftp\WS_FTPnew.ini

    [Shortcuts]
    0=C:\WINDOWS\STARTM~1\PROGRAMS\WS_FTP~1.08\WS_FTP~1.LNK
    1=C:\WINDOWS\STARTM~1\PROGRAMS\WS_FTP~1.08\WS_FTP~2.LNK

    [Strings]
    IDS_STRING1=Are you sure you want to completely remove the selected
    application and all of its components?
    IDS_STRING2=Confirm File Deletion
    IDS_STRING3=The system indicates that the following shared file is no longer
    used by any programs.
    IDS_STRING4=Remove Shared File?
    IDS_STRING5=Uninstall successfully completed.
    IDS_STRING6=Uninstall
    IDS_STRING7=If any programs are still using this file and it is removed,
    those programs may not function. Are you sure you want to remove the shared
    file?
    IDS_STRING8=Uninstall was partially successful.
    IDS_ADMINPRIVILEGESNEEDED=Administrative privileges are needed to uninstall
    this software.
    IDS_YES=&Yes
    IDS_NO=&No
    IDS_YESTOALL=Yes to &All
    IDS_REMOVINGFILE=Removing File:

    thanks!

    J.

    Julie P., Jun 14, 2004
  6. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "hummingbird" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 22:40:09 -0400, "Julie P."
    > <>
    > mysteriously appeared thru the usenet mist to inform us thus...
    >
    > >1) Adobe folder > Acrobat > 6.0 > [etc.]
    > >2) AdobeUM folder (empty)
    > >3) Fujifilm folder > Gfnap2 > Settings folder, Temporary folder > [etc.]

    > >4) Hummingbird folder > Connectivity folder > [etc.]

    > That's the folder to keep your pictures of me in ;;--))

    ha ha! funny. :)

    J.
    Julie P., Jun 14, 2004
  7. Julie P.

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 13:17:19 -0400, in
    <>
    Julie P. scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> Yes, they do. That's why it's called "Application Data".
    >> Put them back where you found them.
    >>

    >Ok, thanks. I did so. But how do you know they belong there,

    Erm, how do I explain that? Because I do.

    >since there are other Application Data folders also in my computer?

    Again, why do you think it's called "Application Data"?

    >Should I uninstall then reinstall programs like Adobe (which was one

    You shouldn't have gone removing folders in the first place.
    Don't mess with things that you don't understand.

    >of the folders) to make sure they are in the right place?

    That depends on what mess you have made of it. It
    is an options that's worth considering.

    >Also, there is one uninstall log that I put in the Application Data folder
    >that might not have actually been there before, since I had all those other
    >folders in the Program Files folder before you told me to put them back, and
    >the uninstall log might have been accidentally brought back with them to the
    >Application Data folder.

    How could it have "accidentally" be brought back? What
    on earth are you doing to your system?

    >The uninstall log would have been right next to the brought-back
    >folders while I had them in the Program Files folder. Can you
    >tell me where it belongs? Here is what I found when I opened it:

    <snip>

    >[Directories2]
    >0=C:\Program Files
    >count=6
    >1=C:\Program Files\Ws_ftp||1

    Uninstall WS_FTP and reinstall. If the uninstaller complains
    that it can't find data, search your WS_FTP folder for an
    "unwise.exe" file, and if it's there, drag the uninstall log on
    to it. If it's not there, look in the Windows or System32 folder,
    and drag the uninstall log on to it and agree to the uninstall.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jun 14, 2004
  8. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 13:17:19 -0400, in
    > <>
    > Julie P. scrawled:
    >
    > >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > >> Yes, they do. That's why it's called "Application Data".
    > >> Put them back where you found them.
    > >>

    > >Ok, thanks. I did so. But how do you know they belong there,

    > Erm, how do I explain that? Because I do.

    that't what I thought. :)

    > >since there are other Application Data folders also in my computer?

    > Again, why do you think it's called "Application Data"?
    >
    > >Should I uninstall then reinstall programs like Adobe (which was one

    > You shouldn't have gone removing folders in the first place.
    > Don't mess with things that you don't understand.

    I agree, but I thought I had accidentally moved them.

    > >of the folders) to make sure they are in the right place?

    > That depends on what mess you have made of it. It
    > is an options that's worth considering.
    >
    > >Also, there is one uninstall log that I put in the Application Data

    folder
    > >that might not have actually been there before, since I had all those

    other
    > >folders in the Program Files folder before you told me to put them back,

    and
    > >the uninstall log might have been accidentally brought back with them to

    the
    > >Application Data folder.

    > How could it have "accidentally" be brought back? What
    > on earth are you doing to your system?

    Because I thought it was part of the group of folders that I wrongly moved
    to the Program files folder.

    > >The uninstall log would have been right next to the brought-back
    > >folders while I had them in the Program Files folder. Can you
    > >tell me where it belongs? Here is what I found when I opened it:

    > <snip>
    >
    > >[Directories2]
    > >0=C:\Program Files
    > >count=6
    > >1=C:\Program Files\Ws_ftp||1

    > Uninstall WS_FTP and reinstall. If the uninstaller complains
    > that it can't find data, search your WS_FTP folder for an
    > "unwise.exe" file, and if it's there, drag the uninstall log on
    > to it. If it's not there, look in the Windows or System32 folder,
    > and drag the uninstall log on to it and agree to the uninstall.

    Thank you!
    Julie P., Jun 15, 2004
  9. Julie P.

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 19:25:29 -0400, in
    <>
    Julie P. scrawled:

    <snip>

    >> Uninstall WS_FTP and reinstall. If the uninstaller complains
    >> that it can't find data, search your WS_FTP folder for an
    >> "unwise.exe" file, and if it's there, drag the uninstall log on
    >> to it. If it's not there, look in the Windows or System32 folder,
    >> and drag the uninstall log on to it and agree to the uninstall.
    >>

    >Thank you!

    You're welcome.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance