    2) clear all passwords/ data on the DB and start afresh,
    3) delete current MySQL install, and reinstall

    the winner of todays quiz will get an all expenses paid trip to .. ummmm

    Shane (aka froggy), Apr 10, 2005

  2. Shane (aka froggy)

    Chris Hope Guest

    Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

    > okely dokely
    > I have borked something in MySQL
    > using phpmyadmin I assigned a password to something, and now I cant
    > log back into MySQL using phpmyadmin, I can however login via CLI
    > with this in mind, how do I 'undo' my cock-up
    > 1) find the user/ pass and unset it ( if so how)
    > 2) clear all passwords/ data on the DB and start afresh,
    > 3) delete current MySQL install, and reinstall
    >
    > the winner of todays quiz will get an all expenses paid trip to ..
    > ummmm

    If you've changed the mysql password via phpMyAdmin you need change the
    password in the configuration file to the new password. The file is
    called "config.inc.php"

    You'll find a section in there like this:

    $cfg['Servers'][$i]['host'] = 'localhost';
    $cfg['Servers'][$i]['port'] = '';
    $cfg['Servers'][$i]['socket'] = '';
    $cfg['Servers'][$i]['connect_type'] = 'tcp';
    $cfg['Servers'][$i]['extension'] = 'mysql';
    $cfg['Servers'][$i]['compress'] = FALSE;
    $cfg['Servers'][$i]['controluser'] = '';
    $cfg['Servers'][$i]['controlpass'] = '';
    $cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type'] = 'config';
    $cfg['Servers'][$i]['user'] = 'XXXXXXXXXXXXXX';
    $cfg['Servers'][$i]['password'] = 'XXXXXXXXXXXXXX';

    Change the 'user' and 'password' values to a valid mysql user and
    password.

    Chris Hope, Apr 10, 2005

  3. On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 10:41:06 +1200, Chris Hope wrote:

    > Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
    >
    >> okely dokely
    >> I have borked something in MySQL
    >> using phpmyadmin I assigned a password to something, and now I cant
    >> log back into MySQL using phpmyadmin, I can however login via CLI
    >> with this in mind, how do I 'undo' my cock-up
    >> 1) find the user/ pass and unset it ( if so how)
    >> 2) clear all passwords/ data on the DB and start afresh,
    >> 3) delete current MySQL install, and reinstall
    >>
    >> the winner of todays quiz will get an all expenses paid trip to ..
    >> ummmm

    > If you've changed the mysql password via phpMyAdmin you need change the
    > password in the configuration file to the new password. The file is
    > called "config.inc.php"
    >
    > You'll find a section in there like this:
    >
    > $cfg['Servers'][$i]['host'] = 'localhost';
    > $cfg['Servers'][$i]['port'] = '';
    > $cfg['Servers'][$i]['socket'] = '';
    > $cfg['Servers'][$i]['connect_type'] = 'tcp';
    > $cfg['Servers'][$i]['extension'] = 'mysql';
    > $cfg['Servers'][$i]['compress'] = FALSE;
    > $cfg['Servers'][$i]['controluser'] = '';
    > $cfg['Servers'][$i]['controlpass'] = '';
    > $cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type'] = 'config';
    > $cfg['Servers'][$i]['user'] = 'XXXXXXXXXXXXXX';
    > $cfg['Servers'][$i]['password'] = 'XXXXXXXXXXXXXX';
    >
    > Change the 'user' and 'password' values to a valid mysql user and
    > password.

    er.. its kinda worse than that..
    you know how new toy syndrome is.. I was flicking through some of
    phpmyadmins pages looking at things, came across an entry for root to
    login without a password, changed it to have a password,
    one thing about this entry, it didnt list an ip, just the machines name
    when I try to login via phpmyadmin, theres no error, just flicks me back
    to the login page,
    big woops :)

    Shane (aka froggy), Apr 10, 2005
  4. Shane (aka froggy)

    Steve Guest

    On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 10:46:14 +1200, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

    > On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 10:41:06 +1200, Chris Hope wrote:
    >
    >> Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
    >>
    >>> okely dokely
    >>> I have borked something in MySQL
    >>> using phpmyadmin I assigned a password to something, and now I cant log
    >>> back into MySQL using phpmyadmin, I can however login via CLI with this
    >>> in mind, how do I 'undo' my cock-up 1) find the user/ pass and unset it
    >>> ( if so how) 2) clear all passwords/ data on the DB and start afresh,
    >>> 3) delete current MySQL install, and reinstall
    >>>
    >>> the winner of todays quiz will get an all expenses paid trip to ..
    >>> ummmm

    >> If you've changed the mysql password via phpMyAdmin you need change the
    >> password in the configuration file to the new password. The file is
    >> called "config.inc.php"
    >>
    >> You'll find a section in there like this:
    >>
    >> $cfg['Servers'][$i]['host'] = 'localhost';
    >> $cfg['Servers'][$i]['port'] = ''; $cfg['Servers'][$i]['socket']
    >> = ''; $cfg['Servers'][$i]['connect_type'] = 'tcp';
    >> $cfg['Servers'][$i]['extension'] = 'mysql';
    >> $cfg['Servers'][$i]['compress'] = FALSE;
    >> $cfg['Servers'][$i]['controluser'] = '';
    >> $cfg['Servers'][$i]['controlpass'] = '';
    >> $cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type'] = 'config';
    >> $cfg['Servers'][$i]['user'] = 'XXXXXXXXXXXXXX';
    >> $cfg['Servers'][$i]['password'] = 'XXXXXXXXXXXXXX';
    >>
    >> Change the 'user' and 'password' values to a valid mysql user and
    >> password.

    > er.. its kinda worse than that..
    > you know how new toy syndrome is.. I was flicking through some of
    > phpmyadmins pages looking at things, came across an entry for root to
    > login without a password, changed it to have a password, one thing about
    > this entry, it didnt list an ip, just the machines name when I try to
    > login via phpmyadmin, theres no error, just flicks me back to the login
    > page,
    > big woops :)

    try mysql -u root -p

    Steve, Apr 11, 2005

  5. > try mysql -u root -p

    heh.. i had no probs with CLI, just phpmyadmin (as per my OP)
    I have just this minute fix0red it
    complete fresh install, from scratch, and it came right,
    couple of things I didnt have right the first time(s) round, my
    sources.list didnt include non-us sources (handicapped myself from the
    get-go)
    FQDN was borked as well
    have made myself a set of notes as I went along ( a habit I should have
    developed _long_ ago )
    Thanks ALL that helped :)

    Shane (aka froggy), Apr 11, 2005
  6. Shane (aka froggy)

    Steve Guest

    On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 20:29:29 +1200, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

    >> try mysql -u root -p

    > heh.. i had no probs with CLI, just phpmyadmin (as per my OP) I have just
    > this minute fix0red it
    > complete fresh install, from scratch, and it came right, couple of things
    > I didnt have right the first time(s) round, my sources.list didnt include
    > non-us sources (handicapped myself from the get-go)
    > FQDN was borked as well
    > have made myself a set of notes as I went along ( a habit I should have
    > developed _long_ ago )
    > Thanks ALL that helped :)

    You'll get a lot further when you drop the M$ mindset and actually try and
    fix the problem instead.

    Steve

    Steve, Apr 11, 2005
  7. On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 22:07:11 +1200, Steve wrote:

    > On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 20:29:29 +1200, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
    >

    >>> try mysql -u root -p

    >> heh.. i had no probs with CLI, just phpmyadmin (as per my OP) I have just
    >> this minute fix0red it
    >> complete fresh install, from scratch, and it came right, couple of things
    >> I didnt have right the first time(s) round, my sources.list didnt include
    >> non-us sources (handicapped myself from the get-go)
    >> FQDN was borked as well
    >> have made myself a set of notes as I went along ( a habit I should have
    >> developed _long_ ago )
    >> Thanks ALL that helped :)

    > You'll get a lot further when you drop the M$ mindset and actually try and
    > fix the problem instead.
    >
    > Steve

    ta, but i'll get further still if I learn what it should be running like
    rather than chasing my tail for days not knowing what ive done wrong, or
    where to look for possible probs, or having things compounded by errors
    that Im not even aware im making :)

    Shane (aka froggy), Apr 11, 2005
  8. Shane (aka froggy)

    Steve Guest

    On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 22:10:21 +1200, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

    >>> heh.. i had no probs with CLI, just phpmyadmin (as per my OP) I have
    >>> just this minute fix0red it
    >>> complete fresh install, from scratch, and it came right, couple of
    >>> things I didnt have right the first time(s) round, my sources.list
    >>> didnt include non-us sources (handicapped myself from the get-go) FQDN
    >>> was borked as well
    >>> have made myself a set of notes as I went along ( a habit I should have
    >>> developed _long_ ago )
    >>> Thanks ALL that helped :)

    >> You'll get a lot further when you drop the M$ mindset and actually try
    >> and fix the problem instead.
    >>
    >> Steve

    > ta, but i'll get further still if I learn what it should be running like
    > rather than chasing my tail for days not knowing what ive done wrong, or
    > where to look for possible probs, or having things compounded by errors
    > that Im not even aware im making :)

    I'm not quite with you there... what is phpmyadmin going to *teach* you?
    You'll learn absolutely nothing using this package.

    And no, I'm not knocking phpmyadmin, I think it's great. You just won't
    learn a blind thing about rdbmses, good admin practices, or any dba
    concepts from using it.

    If you'd googled, then you might have come across the potential problems
    with multiple password formats that was probably at the root (ha ha) of
    your problem. But the M$ solution taught you nothing.

    Steve

    Steve, Apr 11, 2005

  9. > Steve

    ok..
    first thing it taught me was how to read
    from my first post

    I assigned a password to something, and now I cant log
    back into MySQL using phpmyadmin, I can however login via CLI

    your answer

    try mysql -u root -p

    note how I say quite clearly I am having _NO_ problems logging in with CLI
    and your answer is to try logging in with CLI.....
    secondly, with phpmyadmin I can read how the 'command' I just made would
    look on a CLI, and you can bet I'm taking notice.
    thirdly, in case it escaped your attention, installing the mailserver on
    debian using postfix, courier, and mysql, means I am already learning on 4
    fronts
    Debian and its packaging system
    Postfix and its conf. files
    Ditto for courier
    and MySQL
    none of which I have any previous experience with.

    in the case of restarting from scratch, there is such a thing as cutting
    your losses, and after a week to ten days of digging a bigger hole I
    _think_ I made the right decision

    Shane (aka froggy), Apr 11, 2005