    I keep tripping up on the MYSQL table creation part for implementation
    (exim I screwed something up in mailscanner that created an infinite loop,
    pretty to watch, not a lot of work got done though)

    Shane (aka froggy), Mar 29, 2005

  2. In article <>,
    "Shane (aka froggy)" <> wrote:

    >exim 2 me nil
    >postfix 1/2 me nil
    >
    >I keep tripping up on the MYSQL table creation part for implementation
    >(exim I screwed something up in mailscanner that created an infinite loop,
    >pretty to watch, not a lot of work got done though)

    I've done lots of MySQL setup, and I even set up a MySQL database for
    use with Postfix once (a simple SMTP relay-authentication system).

    Whenever I set up a MySQL database, I always start by writing a file
    containing the "create table" commands. That, together with comments
    explaining what the tables and fields are for, becomes my documentation
    for the database. Creating the database is (mostly) a simple matter of
    copying and pasting from that file.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Mar 30, 2005

  3. On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 21:45:18 +1200, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > "Shane (aka froggy)" <> wrote:
    >
    >>exim 2 me nil
    >>postfix 1/2 me nil
    >>
    >>I keep tripping up on the MYSQL table creation part for implementation
    >>(exim I screwed something up in mailscanner that created an infinite loop,
    >>pretty to watch, not a lot of work got done though)

    > I've done lots of MySQL setup, and I even set up a MySQL database for
    > use with Postfix once (a simple SMTP relay-authentication system).
    >
    > Whenever I set up a MySQL database, I always start by writing a file
    > containing the "create table" commands. That, together with comments
    > explaining what the tables and fields are for, becomes my documentation
    > for the database. Creating the database is (mostly) a simple matter of
    > copying and pasting from that file.

    heh
    the 'how to' ive been using gave me directions for the Database to set up,
    when I copied and pasted MySQL politely declined
    I have taken the hint and downloaded some pdf's on MySQL (although with
    one sitting at ~900 pages I think I bit something big off)
    perhaps I will try a different 'how to' instead

    \|/ ____ \|/
    "@'/ ,. \'@"
    /__|\__/|__\
    \__U_/
    Shane (aka froggy), Mar 30, 2005
  4. Shane (aka froggy)

    Steve Guest

    On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 21:55:01 +1200, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

    > the 'how to' ive been using gave me directions for the Database to set up,
    > when I copied and pasted MySQL politely declined
    > I have taken the hint and downloaded some pdf's on MySQL (although with
    > one sitting at ~900 pages I think I bit something big off)
    > perhaps I will try a different 'how to' instead

    Try www.phpmyadmin.net to get yourself started?

    Steve
    Steve, Mar 30, 2005
  5. In article <>,
    Steve <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 21:55:01 +1200, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
    >
    >> the 'how to' ive been using gave me directions for the Database to set up,
    >> when I copied and pasted MySQL politely declined
    >> I have taken the hint and downloaded some pdf's on MySQL (although with
    >> one sitting at ~900 pages I think I bit something big off)
    >> perhaps I will try a different 'how to' instead

    >Try www.phpmyadmin.net to get yourself started?

    NO! Not PHP, PLEASE!
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Mar 31, 2005
  6. In article <>,
    "Shane (aka froggy)" <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 21:45:18 +1200, Lawrence D1Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> "Shane (aka froggy)" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>exim 2 me nil
    >>>postfix 1/2 me nil
    >>>
    >>>I keep tripping up on the MYSQL table creation part for implementation
    >>>(exim I screwed something up in mailscanner that created an infinite loop,
    >>>pretty to watch, not a lot of work got done though)

    >> I've done lots of MySQL setup, and I even set up a MySQL database for
    >> use with Postfix once (a simple SMTP relay-authentication system).
    >>
    >> Whenever I set up a MySQL database, I always start by writing a file
    >> containing the "create table" commands. That, together with comments
    >> explaining what the tables and fields are for, becomes my documentation
    >> for the database. Creating the database is (mostly) a simple matter of
    >> copying and pasting from that file.

    >heh
    >the 'how to' ive been using gave me directions for the Database to set up,
    >when I copied and pasted MySQL politely declined
    >I have taken the hint and downloaded some pdf's on MySQL (although with
    >one sitting at ~900 pages I think I bit something big off)
    >perhaps I will try a different 'how to' instead

    Looking at the last MySQL reference manual I pulled down (dated last
    year), there is a MySQL tutorial in chapter 3, and the language
    reference in chapters 9 to 13. The latter are the ones I keep coming
    back to regularly. The rest you can get to later (optimization,
    administration, utility programs) or even ignore altogether if it's not
    relevant to you (installation, replication, spatial extensions).

    It helps to have some basic grounding in relational database theory. I
    never took the database course at University, but I borrowed a friend's
    textbook, read the entire relational section, and photocopied the
    chapter on normalization.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Mar 31, 2005