    Plus, does anyone here know the differences between the two versions?

    Thanks.

    - Rutgar
    Rutgar, Feb 1, 2004

  2. Rutgar

    rich Guest

    With the release of the DVD there will be four versions of this
    infamous camp classic. They are as follows:

    1) The original theatrical release. This version included old-movie
    shots of young Shirley Temple Black milking a cow, with errant squirts
    landing on her face. The shots were juxtaposed with a masturbation
    scene, and the Nixon White House objected on behalf of then-ambassador
    Black. Loretta Young also filed suit against Fox, objecting to old
    footage of her in the film.

    2) The follow-up theatrical release. With the serious objections to
    the first version, Fox quickly gathered up all the prints of the
    original release and replaced them with a follow-up theatrical
    release. This second version had only minor changes that addressed
    these objections. The earliest Magnetic videotape contained this
    version as well.

    3) The letterbox videotape version. This version was pretty much the
    same as the follow-up theatrical release, except for the wider set
    view available because of the LTBX.

    4) The director's cut. This version (along with the follow-up
    theatrical release referenced in 2 above) will be on the DVD.
    Director Michael Sarne says it contains more dialogue and that he "did
    what he could" to restore it to his original version (except for the
    Shirley Temple Black cow-milking details). In addition to the
    follow-up theatrical release and the director's cut, the DVD also will
    contain comments from Sarne and star Raquel Welch, the AMC "Backstory"
    documentary and some original trailers and advertisements.

    The film's rating history is even more complicated. From the
    beginning Fox believed the film would receive an R rating, and it
    produced promotion materials accordingly. When the MPAA gave the film
    an X, rather than reprint all the materials, Fox pasted an X pasted
    over the R on the already-printed materials. The original Magnetic
    videotapes also contained an X. Overtime, as mores changed, later
    tapes simply morphed to an R, but they are the same version of the
    film.

    For much more about Myra, visit her on the web at:

    http://www.geocities.com/myrabreckinridge/

    The DVD is supposed to be available on March 9, but you can pre-order
    today.

    rich, Feb 1, 2004

  3. Rutgar

    Walter Ego Guest

    I assume there will be no commentary on the DVD from Gore Vidal. ;-)

    -------------

    Walter Ego, Feb 2, 2004
  4. Rutgar

    Justin Guest

    Walter Ego wrote on [Sun, 1 Feb 2004 21:34:43 -0500]:
    > I assume there will be no commentary on the DVD from Gore Vidal. ;-)

    Well done. Top posting and including 78 lines without snipping....
    Justin, Feb 2, 2004
  5. Rutgar

    Rutgar Guest

    On 1 Feb 2004 06:37:50 -0800, (rich) wrote:

    >With the release of the DVD there will be four versions of this
    >infamous camp classic. They are as follows:
    >
    >1) The original theatrical release. This version included old-movie
    >shots of young Shirley Temple Black milking a cow, with errant squirts
    >landing on her face. The shots were juxtaposed with a masturbation
    >scene, and the Nixon White House objected on behalf of then-ambassador
    >Black. Loretta Young also filed suit against Fox, objecting to old
    >footage of her in the film.
    >
    >2) The follow-up theatrical release. With the serious objections to
    >the first version, Fox quickly gathered up all the prints of the
    >original release and replaced them with a follow-up theatrical
    >release. This second version had only minor changes that addressed
    >these objections. The earliest Magnetic videotape contained this
    >version as well.
    >
    >3) The letterbox videotape version. This version was pretty much the
    >same as the follow-up theatrical release, except for the wider set
    >view available because of the LTBX.
    >
    >4) The director's cut. This version (along with the follow-up
    >theatrical release referenced in 2 above) will be on the DVD.
    >Director Michael Sarne says it contains more dialogue and that he "did
    >what he could" to restore it to his original version (except for the
    >Shirley Temple Black cow-milking details). In addition to the
    >follow-up theatrical release and the director's cut, the DVD also will
    >contain comments from Sarne and star Raquel Welch, the AMC "Backstory"
    >documentary and some original trailers and advertisements.
    >
    >The film's rating history is even more complicated. From the
    >beginning Fox believed the film would receive an R rating, and it
    >produced promotion materials accordingly. When the MPAA gave the film
    >an X, rather than reprint all the materials, Fox pasted an X pasted
    >over the R on the already-printed materials. The original Magnetic
    >videotapes also contained an X. Overtime, as mores changed, later
    >tapes simply morphed to an R, but they are the same version of the
    >film.
    >
    >For much more about Myra, visit her on the web at:
    >
    >http://www.geocities.com/myrabreckinridge/
    >
    >The DVD is supposed to be available on March 9, but you can pre-order
    >today.

    Wow! Who needs Norm Wilner. Good response Rich.

    Thanks,

    - Rutgar
    Rutgar, Feb 4, 2004