    something?

    Does the registered version have re-sizable windows?

    Walter
    Walter Logeman, Oct 15, 2003

  2. Walter Logeman

    max Guest

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 01:26:40 +1300, Walter Logeman
    <> wrote:

    >I am thinking of buying MYOB Cashbook and am running the test
    >drive at the moment.
    >
    >It seems like a very retro program - the window it runs in will
    >not resize and is quite small - is this how it is or am I missing
    >something?
    >
    >Does the registered version have re-sizable windows?
    >

    >Walter

    It is built on very old software, and the interface was designed for
    use on win 3.1. Much accounting software have very poor interfaces,
    and look dated.
    max, Oct 16, 2003

  3. Walter Logeman

    jedmesiter Guest

    anyone keen to make some bucks and write their own accounting system, with
    resizeable windows woohoo!!

    jedmesiter, Oct 16, 2003
  4. Walter Logeman

    Mike_P Guest

    "max" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 01:26:40 +1300, Walter Logeman
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >I am thinking of buying MYOB Cashbook and am running the test
    > >drive at the moment.
    > >
    > >It seems like a very retro program - the window it runs in will
    > >not resize and is quite small - is this how it is or am I missing
    > >something?
    > >
    > >Does the registered version have re-sizable windows?
    > >

    > >Walter

    > It is built on very old software, and the interface was designed for
    > use on win 3.1. Much accounting software have very poor interfaces,
    > and look dated.

    We use MYOB Accounting Plus V6.0 and have no problem resizing windows...
    also no problems with our much earlier MYOB Premier
    Mike_P, Oct 16, 2003
  5. Walter Logeman

    SharkFOA Guest

    "Walter Logeman" <> wrote in message
    > I am thinking of buying MYOB Cashbook and am running the test
    > drive at the moment.
    >
    > It seems like a very retro program - the window it runs in will
    > not resize and is quite small - is this how it is or am I missing
    > something?
    >
    > Does the registered version have re-sizable windows?

    Check out cashbook complete at www.acclaim.co.nz The programme is always? on
    the PC World NZ coverdisk. I'm a non-accountant and found this suitable and
    reasonably priced. I liked it so much I became an agent (Disclosing interest
    here!). It's free for home use.

    --
    SharkFOA
    SharkFOA, Oct 16, 2003
  6. SharkFOA

    > Check out cashbook complete at www.acclaim.co.nz The programme is always? on
    > the PC World NZ coverdisk. I'm a non-accountant and found this suitable and
    > reasonably priced. I liked it so much I became an agent (Disclosing interest
    > here!). It's free for home use.

    I looked at that - and prefer the interface but it is not what
    our accountant uses. Nor will it export into MYOB.

    Walter
    Walter Logeman, Oct 16, 2003
  7. In article <>, wrote:
    >SharkFOA
    >> Check out cashbook complete at www.acclaim.co.nz The programme is always? on
    >> the PC World NZ coverdisk. I'm a non-accountant and found this suitable and
    >> reasonably priced. I liked it so much I became an agent (Disclosing interest
    >> here!). It's free for home use.

    >I looked at that - and prefer the interface but it is not what
    >our accountant uses. Nor will it export into MYOB.

    Whose accountant is it ? Yours ? ... then surely you tell them what
    you need ... and it becomes their problem to provide it ?
    If not, surely you are the accountant's worker :)

    Bruce

    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 16, 2003
  8. Mike

    > We use MYOB Accounting Plus V6.0 and have no problem resizing windows...
    > also no problems with our much earlier MYOB Premier

    Does this do what cashbook does plus more? Is it worth getting
    this? Or could I upgrade in the future to this and import the
    older stuff?

    thanks Walter
    Walter Logeman, Oct 16, 2003
  9. Walter Logeman

    > SharkFOA
    >
    > > Check out cashbook complete at www.acclaim.co.nz The programme is

    always? on
    > > the PC World NZ coverdisk. I'm a non-accountant and found this suitable

    and
    > > reasonably priced. I liked it so much I became an agent (Disclosing

    interest
    > > here!). It's free for home use.

    > I looked at that - and prefer the interface but it is not what
    > our accountant uses. Nor will it export into MYOB.

    Does the accountant work for you? If you prefer it, use it. It's his/her
    problem. I'm not pushing my own barrow here but I have a mate who's
    accountant has insisted she buy MYOB and learn it because it suits her. If
    the accountant is your company accountant , i.e., you're an employee, then
    that's a different animal.

    --
    SharkFOA
    SharkFOA, Oct 16, 2003
  10. Walter Logeman

    SharkFOA Guest

    "Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote in
    message news:eopjb.1279$...

    wrote:
    > >SharkFOA
    > >> Check out cashbook complete at www.acclaim.co.nz The programme is

    always? on
    > >> the PC World NZ coverdisk. I'm a non-accountant and found this suitable

    and
    > >> reasonably priced. I liked it so much I became an agent (Disclosing

    interest
    > >> here!). It's free for home use.

    > >I looked at that - and prefer the interface but it is not what
    > >our accountant uses. Nor will it export into MYOB.

    > Whose accountant is it ? Yours ? ... then surely you tell them what
    > you need ... and it becomes their problem to provide it ?
    > If not, surely you are the accountant's worker :)

    Ooops, should have read this for. Agreed.

    --
    SharkFOA
    SharkFOA, Oct 16, 2003
  11. SharkFOA

    > > I looked at that - and prefer the interface but it is not what
    > > our accountant uses. Nor will it export into MYOB.

    > Does the accountant work for you? If you prefer it, use it. It's his/her
    > problem. I'm not pushing my own barrow here but I have a mate who's
    > accountant has insisted she buy MYOB and learn it because it suits her. If
    > the accountant is your company accountant , i.e., you're an employee, then
    > that's a different animal.

    Small business - and the accountant could work with either...
    however as I said I like the *interface* better, but for the rest
    I am still learning.

    I read somewhere MYOB was more comprehensive, could do PAYE etc?

    Also if the accountant can do it quicker on one than the other it
    is cheaper for us - we pay by the hr.

    Walter
    Walter Logeman, Oct 16, 2003
  12. Walter Logeman

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Walter Logeman <> wrote in

    > SharkFOA
    >
    >> > I looked at that - and prefer the interface but it is not what
    >> > our accountant uses. Nor will it export into MYOB.

    >> Does the accountant work for you? If you prefer it, use it. It's
    >> his/her problem. I'm not pushing my own barrow here but I have a mate
    >> who's accountant has insisted she buy MYOB and learn it because it
    >> suits her. If the accountant is your company accountant , i.e.,
    >> you're an employee, then that's a different animal.

    > Small business - and the accountant could work with either...
    > however as I said I like the *interface* better, but for the rest
    > I am still learning.
    >
    > I read somewhere MYOB was more comprehensive, could do PAYE etc?
    >
    > Also if the accountant can do it quicker on one than the other it
    > is cheaper for us - we pay by the hr.
    >
    > Walter

    I use Cashbook Complete. My accountant simply takes my end of year figures
    and puts them into their system (MYOB I think). While that is "doing it
    the long way" the cost of me to purchase the *right* software, learning how
    to use it etc would be higer so I stick with what I know. The only reason
    I would change this is if I had other people doing data entry (not
    forgetting that you can lock features etc out from some users) and / or I
    needed a degree of auditing work done. Then, running the same software as
    my accountant would then be more cost effective I would think.

    I had this same type of problem a few weeks back - I had a some spread
    sheet's in Calc that were 830KB or so but saved as an Excel file (for the
    accountant) they came out to 5.5MB or so and no one could open them - so I
    supplied a copy of OO on CD and said "I'm not buying $700 worth of Excel
    so I can provide you with an Excel file you can open so use this - problem
    solved!".
    Chris Mayhew, Oct 16, 2003
  13. Walter Logeman

    Steven H Guest

    In article <>, says...

    > Check out cashbook complete at www.acclaim.co.nz The programme is always? on
    > the PC World NZ coverdisk. I'm a non-accountant and found this suitable and
    > reasonably priced. I liked it so much I became an agent (Disclosing interest
    > here!). It's free for home use.

    why is it that accounting programs all look like a 2 year old drew them.

    suppose comes down to propor design, if the moron(s) that built it
    designed it properly (talking about n-tier design) the front end could
    reflect modern user interface standards.

    Steven H
    Steven H, Oct 16, 2003
  14. Walter Logeman

    Mike_P Guest

    > Mike
    >
    > > We use MYOB Accounting Plus V6.0 and have no problem resizing windows...
    > > also no problems with our much earlier MYOB Premier

    > Does this do what cashbook does plus more? Is it worth getting
    > this? Or could I upgrade in the future to this and import the
    > older stuff?
    >

    > thanks Walter

    I thought cashbook was a cut-down version of MYOB ie: without the general
    ledger etc... but don't ask me, ring or email MYOB NZ and ask them... I've
    always found them very helpful. Actually if you email them with your
    questions they generally ring you back (give them your phone no) to talk
    through your requirements... saves a toll call if you don't live in the big
    smoke.

    Mike
    Mike_P, Oct 17, 2003
  15. Chris

    > I use Cashbook Complete. My accountant simply takes my end of year figures
    > and puts them into their system (MYOB I think).

    I am still evaluating and Cashbook Complete (Acclaim) seems
    easier and more user friendly than MYOB.

    They say on their own website that MYOB has more bells and
    whistles ... I wonder what they mean.

    I have not found a way of doing Budgets in MYOB yet this is what
    I'd like to do. Am I missing something that MYOB does not have
    this capacity (I have looked in MYOB Cashbook and Accounting
    versions) Cashbook Complete (Acclaim) seems to have this well
    implemented.

    PS the accounting version at least can re-size windows.

    Walter
    Walter Logeman, Oct 18, 2003
  16. Walter Logeman

    ~misfit~ Guest

    > Chris
    >
    > > I use Cashbook Complete. My accountant simply takes my end of year

    figures
    > > and puts them into their system (MYOB I think).

    > I am still evaluating and Cashbook Complete (Acclaim) seems
    > easier and more user friendly than MYOB.
    >
    > They say on their own website that MYOB has more bells and
    > whistles ... I wonder what they mean.

    It means that they got given MYOB free on the understanding they encourage
    all their clients to buy it.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---
    ~misfit~, Oct 18, 2003
  17. Walter Logeman

    Mike_P Guest

    > Chris
    >
    > > I use Cashbook Complete. My accountant simply takes my end of year

    figures
    > > and puts them into their system (MYOB I think).

    > I am still evaluating and Cashbook Complete (Acclaim) seems
    > easier and more user friendly than MYOB.
    >
    > They say on their own website that MYOB has more bells and
    > whistles ... I wonder what they mean.
    >
    > I have not found a way of doing Budgets in MYOB yet this is what
    > I'd like to do. Am I missing something that MYOB does not have
    > this capacity (I have looked in MYOB Cashbook and Accounting
    > versions) Cashbook Complete (Acclaim) seems to have this well
    > implemented.
    >
    > PS the accounting version at least can re-size windows.
    >
    > Walter

    To apply budgets in MYOB simply goto General Ledger (Accounts in v12),
    select Chart of Accounts (Accounts List in v12), select the type of account
    ie asset, liability, expense etc and open the account you want to add
    budgets to by clicking on the little arrow on the left. Now simply click on
    Budgets to apply a budget amount per month for the current year...
    Mike_P, Oct 18, 2003