My Wit's End with Wireless (Gateway M1300 Tablet PC and Linksys WRT54G)

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by David Lipetz, Sep 5, 2004.

  1. David Lipetz

    David Lipetz Guest

    Cross-posted to Tablet PC and Wireless Networking newsgroups:

    Folks,

    I am about to go crazy. I can not obtain a persistent wireless connection
    between my Gateway (Motion Computing) M1300 Tablet PC and a Linksys WRT54G
    wireless router.

    The Tablet PC has SP2 installed. The WRT54G has the latest firmware.

    The Tablet PC will boot up and find my local wireless AP and connect
    properly. Then after some period of time, the connection will drop and the
    taskbar icon turns to the red x (not connected) status. At that point, SP2
    looks for a wireless network to connect with. The available networks box
    will show mine, along with a couple of neighbors. Generally, I can select
    mine and it will reconnect. Sometimes it will reconnect to mine
    automatically (first works, then drops it, then reconnects to it).

    This is so aggravating.

    The WRT54G is brand new. Bought it to replace older model BEF11SW4 which I
    thought may have been causing the dropouts. It had been working flawlessly
    for over a year until some point (prior to installing SP2) it started to get
    the drops. Replaced the router, upgraded to SP2, and continue to experience
    an unreliable wireless network connection.

    I've installed wireless drivers from Motion's site (the 7.x drivers and the
    4.x Sebring drivers) and they both behave the same - inconsistently. Just
    went back to Gateways site and installed their wireless drivers. Driver is
    now listed as:

    w70n51.sys v1.2.2.8 1/13/2004
    W20NCPA.dll v4.1.04 2002
    w70n5msg.dll v1.0.0.0 2002

    I'll have to wait and see if this driver works any better.

    In the interim, are there any router settings or something else I should be
    looking it? This is driving me crazy! I do have 2.4GHz cordless phones, but
    these never interfered previously. I have tried several different channels
    on the WAP, all behave the same way.

    Andy advice would be appreciated. Having an unreliable wireless connection
    makes the Tablet PC almost useless.

    Thanks,
    David

    David Lipetz, Sep 5, 2004

  2. David Lipetz

    Chris H. Guest

    Are you running WPA encryption on the router? If not, go into Network
    Connections, right-click the icon representing your wireless LAN connection
    and select Properties.

    Go to the Wireless Networks tab, then highlight your LAN's name in the
    Preferred networks box at the bottom and tap the Properties button at the
    lower-right.

    Go to the Authentication tab and remove the check mark from Enable IEEE
    802.1x authentication for this network.

    OK your way out.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

    Chris H., Sep 5, 2004

  3. David Lipetz

    David Lipetz Guest

    Chris - thanks for the advice.

    However, 802.1x authentication is not checked, nor has it been. That is one
    config parameter I've known about.

    David Lipetz, Sep 5, 2004
  4. David Lipetz

    David Lipetz Guest

    Continued: Is it possible that the other wireless networks are somehow
    interfering with mine? Can I set my Tablet to ONLY connect with my wireless
    network? (It is currently the only one listed in Preferred Networks).

    David Lipetz, Sep 5, 2004
  5. David Lipetz

    David Lipetz Guest

    I should also point out that I am using 64-bit WEP security...

    David Lipetz, Sep 5, 2004
  6. David Lipetz

    Chris H. Guest

    You could try selecting the Advanced button on the Wireless Networks page to
    "Access point (infrastructure) networks only." Do you have the Windows XP
    built-in Wireless Zero Configuration enabled in Control Panel/Administrative
    Tools/Services?

    Chris H., Sep 5, 2004
  7. David Lipetz

    mike Guest

    how about trying another channel where you cannot find other networks.
    interference between everyone seem s a prime suspect here.
    mike

    ---

    mike, Sep 5, 2004
  8. David Lipetz

    D.Currie Guest

    > Cross-posted to Tablet PC and Wireless Networking newsgroups:
    >
    > Folks,
    >
    > I am about to go crazy. I can not obtain a persistent wireless connection
    > between my Gateway (Motion Computing) M1300 Tablet PC and a Linksys WRT54G
    > wireless router.
    >
    > The Tablet PC has SP2 installed. The WRT54G has the latest firmware.
    >
    > The Tablet PC will boot up and find my local wireless AP and connect
    > properly. Then after some period of time, the connection will drop and the
    > taskbar icon turns to the red x (not connected) status. At that point, SP2
    > looks for a wireless network to connect with. The available networks box
    > will show mine, along with a couple of neighbors. Generally, I can select
    > mine and it will reconnect. Sometimes it will reconnect to mine
    > automatically (first works, then drops it, then reconnects to it).
    >
    > This is so aggravating.
    >
    > The WRT54G is brand new. Bought it to replace older model BEF11SW4 which I
    > thought may have been causing the dropouts. It had been working flawlessly
    > for over a year until some point (prior to installing SP2) it started to
    > get the drops. Replaced the router, upgraded to SP2, and continue to
    > experience an unreliable wireless network connection.
    >
    > I've installed wireless drivers from Motion's site (the 7.x drivers and
    > the 4.x Sebring drivers) and they both behave the same - inconsistently.
    > Just went back to Gateways site and installed their wireless drivers.
    > Driver is now listed as:
    >
    > w70n51.sys v1.2.2.8 1/13/2004
    > W20NCPA.dll v4.1.04 2002
    > w70n5msg.dll v1.0.0.0 2002
    >
    > I'll have to wait and see if this driver works any better.
    >
    > In the interim, are there any router settings or something else I should
    > be looking it? This is driving me crazy! I do have 2.4GHz cordless phones,
    > but these never interfered previously. I have tried several different
    > channels on the WAP, all behave the same way.
    >
    > Andy advice would be appreciated. Having an unreliable wireless connection
    > makes the Tablet PC almost useless.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > David

    I had that problem and it finally narrowed down to that when one particular
    computer was on and accessing the network, everything else wireless would
    get erratic, to the point where I'd have to re-set the router. Got rid of
    that particular wireless card and everything's fine again.

    D.Currie, Sep 5, 2004
  9. David Lipetz

    Quaoar Guest

    >I should also point out that I am using 64-bit WEP security...
    >

    > "David Lipetz" <> wrote in message
    >> Cross-posted to Tablet PC and Wireless Networking newsgroups:
    >>
    >> Folks,
    >>
    >> I am about to go crazy. I can not obtain a persistent wireless
    >> connection between my Gateway (Motion Computing) M1300 Tablet PC and
    >> a Linksys WRT54G wireless router.
    >>
    >> The Tablet PC has SP2 installed. The WRT54G has the latest firmware.
    >>
    >> The Tablet PC will boot up and find my local wireless AP and connect
    >> properly. Then after some period of time, the connection will drop
    >> and the taskbar icon turns to the red x (not connected) status. At
    >> that point, SP2 looks for a wireless network to connect with. The
    >> available networks box will show mine, along with a couple of
    >> neighbors. Generally, I can select mine and it will reconnect.
    >> Sometimes it will reconnect to mine automatically (first works, then
    >> drops it, then reconnects to it).
    >>
    >> This is so aggravating.
    >>
    >> The WRT54G is brand new. Bought it to replace older model BEF11SW4
    >> which I thought may have been causing the dropouts. It had been
    >> working flawlessly for over a year until some point (prior to
    >> installing SP2) it started to get the drops. Replaced the router,
    >> upgraded to SP2, and continue to experience an unreliable wireless
    >> network connection.
    >>
    >> I've installed wireless drivers from Motion's site (the 7.x drivers
    >> and the 4.x Sebring drivers) and they both behave the same -
    >> inconsistently. Just went back to Gateways site and installed their
    >> wireless drivers. Driver is now listed as:
    >>
    >> w70n51.sys v1.2.2.8 1/13/2004
    >> W20NCPA.dll v4.1.04 2002
    >> w70n5msg.dll v1.0.0.0 2002
    >>
    >> I'll have to wait and see if this driver works any better.
    >>
    >> In the interim, are there any router settings or something else I
    >> should be looking it? This is driving me crazy! I do have 2.4GHz
    >> cordless phones, but these never interfered previously. I have tried
    >> several different channels on the WAP, all behave the same way.
    >>
    >> Andy advice would be appreciated. Having an unreliable wireless
    >> connection makes the Tablet PC almost useless.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> David

    Broadcast SSID if not already.

    Quaoar, Sep 5, 2004
  10. On 9/5/2004 10:20:21 AM, "David Lipetz" wrote:
    >Cross-posted to Tablet PC and Wireless Networking newsgroups:
    >
    >Folks,
    >
    >I am about to go crazy. I can not obtain a persistent wireless connection
    >between my Gateway (Motion Computing) M1300 Tablet PC and a Linksys WRT54G
    >wireless router.
    >
    >The Tablet PC has SP2 installed. The WRT54G has the latest firmware.
    >
    >The Tablet PC will boot up and find my local wireless AP and connect
    >properly. Then after some period of time, the connection will drop and the
    >taskbar icon turns to the red x (not connected) status. At that point, SP2
    >looks for a wireless network to connect with. The available networks box
    >will show mine, along with a couple of neighbors. Generally, I can select
    >mine and it will reconnect. Sometimes it will reconnect to mine
    >automatically (first works, then drops it, then reconnects to it).
    >
    >This is so aggravating.
    >
    >The WRT54G is brand new. Bought it to replace older model BEF11SW4 which I
    >thought may have been causing the dropouts. It had been working flawlessly
    >for over a year until some point (prior to installing SP2) it started to get
    >the drops. Replaced the router, upgraded to SP2, and continue to experience
    >an unreliable wireless network connection.
    >
    >I've installed wireless drivers from Motion's site (the 7.x drivers and the
    >4.x Sebring drivers) and they both behave the same - inconsistently. Just
    >went back to Gateways site and installed their wireless drivers. Driver is
    >now listed as:
    >
    >w70n51.sys v1.2.2.8 1/13/2004
    >W20NCPA.dll v4.1.04 2002
    >w70n5msg.dll v1.0.0.0 2002
    >
    >I'll have to wait and see if this driver works any better.
    >
    >In the interim, are there any router settings or something else I should be
    >looking it? This is driving me crazy! I do have 2.4GHz cordless phones, but
    >these never interfered previously. I have tried several different channels
    >on the WAP, all behave the same way.
    >
    >Andy advice would be appreciated. Having an unreliable wireless connection
    >makes the Tablet PC almost useless.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >David

    On top of the other advice, here's a few you can try. I had similar problems
    with a Linksys A/B unit. They had me try the following - may or may not have
    these options present on your model:

    Lower RTS threshold
    Lower Fragmentation length
    disable turbo mode
    try different preamble type (if it's at long, try short, and vice versa)

    I eventually got mine to work better with the first two options. It never was
    flawless though... I had better luck with my Dlink when I got my new tablet
    that had 802.11G rather than the A/B my old one had. But that dlink has
    problems with the wan link, so I'm still dealing with resetting it all the
    time...

    --
    John

    JDThree [MVP], Sep 5, 2004
  11. David Lipetz

    David Lipetz Guest

    Yes, Windows XP is controlling adapter. Also tried Access Point only.

    Neither helps.

    In addition to my Tablet PC, I have a Dell laptop (W2K) with Microsoft
    802.11b/g card that experiences the same drops as my Tablet PC.

    So, must be a common software issue, a bad WAP setting, interference, or
    some combination of all of the above.

    I truly believe it is software related...

    Struggling for the truth.

    "Chris H." <> wrote in message
    > You could try selecting the Advanced button on the Wireless Networks page
    > to "Access point (infrastructure) networks only." Do you have the Windows
    > XP built-in Wireless Zero Configuration enabled in Control
    > Panel/Administrative Tools/Services?
    > --
    > Chris H.
    > Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    > Associate Expert
    >

    > "David Lipetz" <> wrote in message
    >> Continued: Is it possible that the other wireless networks are somehow
    >> interfering with mine? Can I set my Tablet to ONLY connect with my
    >> wireless network? (It is currently the only one listed in Preferred
    >> Networks).
    >>

    >> "David Lipetz" <> wrote in message
    >>> Cross-posted to Tablet PC and Wireless Networking newsgroups:
    >>>
    >>> Folks,
    >>>
    >>> I am about to go crazy. I can not obtain a persistent wireless
    >>> connection between my Gateway (Motion Computing) M1300 Tablet PC and a
    >>> Linksys WRT54G wireless router.
    >>>
    >>> The Tablet PC has SP2 installed. The WRT54G has the latest firmware.
    >>>
    >>> The Tablet PC will boot up and find my local wireless AP and connect
    >>> properly. Then after some period of time, the connection will drop and
    >>> the taskbar icon turns to the red x (not connected) status. At that
    >>> point, SP2 looks for a wireless network to connect with. The available
    >>> networks box will show mine, along with a couple of neighbors.
    >>> Generally, I can select mine and it will reconnect. Sometimes it will
    >>> reconnect to mine automatically (first works, then drops it, then
    >>> reconnects to it).
    >>>
    >>> This is so aggravating.
    >>>
    >>> The WRT54G is brand new. Bought it to replace older model BEF11SW4 which
    >>> I thought may have been causing the dropouts. It had been working
    >>> flawlessly for over a year until some point (prior to installing SP2) it
    >>> started to get the drops. Replaced the router, upgraded to SP2, and
    >>> continue to experience an unreliable wireless network connection.
    >>>
    >>> I've installed wireless drivers from Motion's site (the 7.x drivers and
    >>> the 4.x Sebring drivers) and they both behave the same - inconsistently.
    >>> Just went back to Gateways site and installed their wireless drivers.
    >>> Driver is now listed as:
    >>>
    >>> w70n51.sys v1.2.2.8 1/13/2004
    >>> W20NCPA.dll v4.1.04 2002

    David Lipetz, Sep 7, 2004
  12. David Lipetz

    David Lipetz Guest

    Tried, and continuing to try, various channels.

    David Lipetz, Sep 7, 2004
  13. David Lipetz

    David Lipetz Guest

    SSID is being broadcast

    "Quaoar" <> wrote in message

    > "David Lipetz" <> wrote in message
    >>I should also point out that I am using 64-bit WEP security...
    >>

    >> "David Lipetz" <> wrote in message
    >>> Cross-posted to Tablet PC and Wireless Networking newsgroups:
    >>>
    >>> Folks,
    >>>
    >>> I am about to go crazy. I can not obtain a persistent wireless
    >>> connection between my Gateway (Motion Computing) M1300 Tablet PC and a
    >>> Linksys WRT54G wireless router.
    >>>
    >>> The Tablet PC has SP2 installed. The WRT54G has the latest firmware.
    >>>
    >>> The Tablet PC will boot up and find my local wireless AP and connect
    >>> properly. Then after some period of time, the connection will drop and
    >>> the taskbar icon turns to the red x (not connected) status. At that
    >>> point, SP2 looks for a wireless network to connect with. The available
    >>> networks box will show mine, along with a couple of neighbors.
    >>> Generally, I can select mine and it will reconnect. Sometimes it will
    >>> reconnect to mine automatically (first works, then drops it, then
    >>> reconnects to it).
    >>>
    >>> This is so aggravating.
    >>>
    >>> The WRT54G is brand new. Bought it to replace older model BEF11SW4 which
    >>> I thought may have been causing the dropouts. It had been working
    >>> flawlessly for over a year until some point (prior to installing SP2) it
    >>> started to get the drops. Replaced the router, upgraded to SP2, and
    >>> continue to experience an unreliable wireless network connection.
    >>>
    >>> I've installed wireless drivers from Motion's site (the 7.x drivers and
    >>> the 4.x Sebring drivers) and they both behave the same - inconsistently.
    >>> Just went back to Gateways site and installed their wireless drivers.
    >>> Driver is now listed as:
    >>>
    >>> w70n51.sys v1.2.2.8 1/13/2004
    >>> W20NCPA.dll v4.1.04 2002

    David Lipetz, Sep 7, 2004
  14. David Lipetz

    David Lipetz Guest

    But this occurs with just one computer (the Table PC) on the network.

    David Lipetz, Sep 7, 2004
  15. David Lipetz

    David Lipetz Guest

    Please provide specific settings for RTS and Fragmentation.

    Thanks.

    David Lipetz, Sep 7, 2004
  16. David Lipetz

    Chris H. Guest

    Have you opened Network Connections to see if any devices in there are in
    Bridge mode? If so, right-click and remove the items from being bridged.
    Also, are you running the Intel Proset 7.1.3 wireless driver from here:
    http://www.motioncomputing.com/support/driver_download_1300.asp

    Chris H., Sep 7, 2004
  17. David Lipetz

    David Lipetz Guest

    No bridges.

    If you read the release notes from those Motion Computing Intel PROset 7.1.3
    drivers, you will see that the Intel 2100 3B mini-pc card, which the M1300
    uses, is NOT supported.

    I have installed the drivers from Gateway.com and specifically listed them
    in a prior post in this thread.

    David Lipetz, Sep 7, 2004
  18. David Lipetz

    Chris H. Guest

    Where did you read that? I've been running them since May, 2004, David, and
    the "not supported" list doesn't mention the 2100 3B card at all. It does
    mention the 2011 series and a couple 5000 series adapter.

    Chris H., Sep 7, 2004
  19. David Lipetz

    David Lipetz Guest

    In the release notes file wireless.txt located in PROW7100/docs. Note that
    the Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2100 LAN 3B MiniPCI Adapter is NOT supported.

    Intel(R) PRO/Wireless LAN Mini PCI Adapters Release Notes

    June 14, 2004

    Contents
    ========

    - Products not covered in this document
    - Viewing user documentation
    - Correction to Transmission Power settings in on-line Help
    - Upgrading drivers and utilities from previous versions
    - Required service pack for Windows* 2000
    - Required service pack for Windows XP
    - Known limitations
    - Customer support

    The following adapters are not supported with this release:
    Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2011 LAN PCI Adapter
    Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2011 LAN PC Card
    Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2011B LAN PC Card
    Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2011B LAN PCI Adapter
    Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2011B LAN USB Device
    Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 5000 LAN CardBus Adapter
    Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 5000 LAN PCI Adapter
    Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2100 LAN 3B MiniPCI Adapter
    Intel(R) PRO/Wirelsss 2200BG Network Connection

    David Lipetz, Sep 7, 2004
  20. David Lipetz

    Chris H. Guest

    That is a different driver, David. Look for the file dated 5-21. It is the
    one which supports your adapter.

    Chris H., Sep 7, 2004