My VOIP has stopped working ..

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by T i m, Apr 2, 2008.

  1. T i m

    T i m Guest

    Hi All,

    Probably not strictly on topic but I have lost my VOIP lines. :-(

    The reason is my Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 7140 seems to have stopped picking
    up DHCP from my cable modem (VM, CM ok with PC directly).

    I tried all the usual (soft reset, power cycle, factory default) but
    now I can't even get back into it? ;-(

    I think I may have noticed some strange things when I first connected
    to it tonight (that could of been party to why it stopped working
    after all this time) in that it said the ip address for the box was
    192.168.178.1 when I was talking to it (initially) on 192.168.0.100
    (and how it's been since the beginning).

    I'm now trying to get to it on 192.168.178.254 but again, nowt. :-(

    Any ideas before I send it back please ..?

    All the best ..

    T i m

    p.s. FWIW The front panel LED's and WiFi seem to work (I can connect
    wirelessly but no DHCP or access the config etc).

    T i m, Apr 2, 2008

  2. T i m

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "T i m" <> wrote in message
    : Hi All,
    :
    : Probably not strictly on topic but I have lost my VOIP
    : lines. :-(
    :
    : The reason is my Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 7140 seems to have
    : stopped picking up DHCP from my cable modem (VM, CM ok
    : with PC directly).

    Can't you assign a fixed IP..? I've never tried using a Fritz with another
    modem (using ADSL over BT here) so can't really comment further on that.

    : I tried all the usual (soft reset, power cycle, factory
    : default) but now I can't even get back into it? ;-(
    :
    : I think I may have noticed some strange things when I
    : first connected to it tonight (that could of been party
    : to why it stopped working after all this time) in that it
    : said the ip address for the box was 192.168.178.1 when I
    : was talking to it (initially) on 192.168.0.100 (and how
    : it's been since the beginning).
    :
    : I'm now trying to get to it on 192.168.178.254 but again,
    : nowt. :-(

    I thought that was the backup default address which should work if you
    cock it up, but it seems it may not be..?!

    : Any ideas before I send it back please ..?

    Silly question, but have you asked AVM..? Sometimes the simplest option is
    the best ;-)

    Email Neil O'Hara at AVM support, he's usually pretty helpful -
    or there's a form on the website, but I can't seem to raise
    it at the moment, although it's responding to pings, very odd...

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Apr 2, 2008

  3. T i m

    T i m Guest

    On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 22:06:48 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >: The reason is my Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 7140 seems to have
    >: stopped picking up DHCP from my cable modem (VM, CM ok
    >: with PC directly).
    >
    >Can't you assign a fixed IP..? I've never tried using a Fritz with another
    >modem (using ADSL over BT here) so can't really comment further on that.

    I can't on either side as I can't get back in to configure it Ivor?

    >: I tried all the usual (soft reset, power cycle, factory
    >: default) but now I can't even get back into it? ;-(
    >:
    >: I think I may have noticed some strange things when I
    >: first connected to it tonight (that could of been party
    >: to why it stopped working after all this time) in that it
    >: said the ip address for the box was 192.168.178.1 when I
    >: was talking to it (initially) on 192.168.0.100 (and how
    >: it's been since the beginning).
    >:
    >: I'm now trying to get to it on 192.168.178.254 but again,
    >: nowt. :-(
    >
    >I thought that was the backup default address which should work if you
    >cock it up, but it seems it may not be..?!

    Well that's what I read also but maybe it only works under better
    circumstances Ivor?

    >: Any ideas before I send it back please ..?
    >
    >Silly question, but have you asked AVM..?

    Not yet, I only noticed it this evening when I got in and have been
    trying all the angles since then.

    > Sometimes the simplest option is
    >the best ;-)

    Oh indeed, but I like to try all the options in case I've missed
    something easy or as you say simple.

    >Email Neil O'Hara at AVM support, he's usually pretty helpful -
    > or there's a form on the website, but I can't seem to raise
    >it at the moment, although it's responding to pings, very odd...

    I was looking on there for any utility software (in case that can find
    the router, I had that with a Netgear bridge the other day ...) but it
    was running VERY slow. I'll try again in a mo ..

    All the best and thanks Ivor ..

    T i m

    T i m, Apr 2, 2008
  4. T i m

    <> wrote:

    >"T i m" <> wrote in message
    >: Hi All,
    >:
    >: Probably not strictly on topic but I have lost my VOIP
    >: lines. :-(
    >:
    >: The reason is my Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 7140 seems to have
    >: stopped picking up DHCP from my cable modem (VM, CM ok
    >: with PC directly).

    I've just thought Ivor, is there a way of issuing a Factory Default
    command via the telephone interface please?

    When I puck up a phone plugged into the box it briefly gives me the
    Fixed Line LED and the tone in the phone of three tones, two pauses?

    All the best ..

    T i m

    T i m, Apr 3, 2008
  5. T i m

    T i m Guest

    On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 06:09:59 GMT, T i m <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 22:06:48 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >>"T i m" <> wrote in message
    >>: Hi All,
    >>:
    >>: Probably not strictly on topic but I have lost my VOIP
    >>: lines. :-(
    >>:
    >>: The reason is my Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 7140 seems to have
    >>: stopped picking up DHCP from my cable modem (VM, CM ok
    >>: with PC directly).
    >>

    >I've just thought Ivor, is there a way of issuing a Factory Default
    >command via the telephone interface please?

    (Bad form replying to yourself again but) Hold that thought!

    As is often the way with such matters I RTFM but this time actually
    taking notice of the telephone interface section (I'm not into / using
    the VOIP bit much yet) and from the telephone issued the easy to
    remember:

    #991*15901590*

    ... and hey-presto, we are back in business! ;-)

    I have no idea why the interface dropped out but I'm about to
    re-configure it again using my saved settings (so I don't have to set
    up the SIP stuff again) and we will go from there ..

    All the best ..

    T i m

    T i m, Apr 3, 2008