    What's the best set-up to avoid this?

    Any advice would be wecomed with my thanks.

    Mick.
    Mick Tully, Mar 20, 2006

  2. Mick Tully

    Mark Guest

    Mick Tully wrote:
    > I'm new to all this, but I've subscribed to Viop Stunt. I'm using a
    > USB 'phone, in the UK.
    >
    > It's great to be able to call my brother in Malaysia free, and
    > relatives in Ireland likewise.
    >
    > I do get complaints however, about feedback from the other end, i.e.
    > they can hear their voices coming back.
    >
    > What's the best set-up to avoid this?
    >
    > Any advice would be wecomed with my thanks.
    >
    > Mick.

    1st ditch the el cheapo USB phone and get a ATA and use a "proper" phone
    Mark, Mar 20, 2006

  3. Mick Tully

    Brian A Guest

    On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 22:51:00 GMT, Mark <> wrote:

    >Mick Tully wrote:
    >> I'm new to all this, but I've subscribed to Viop Stunt. I'm using a
    >> USB 'phone, in the UK.
    >>
    >> It's great to be able to call my brother in Malaysia free, and
    >> relatives in Ireland likewise.
    >>
    >> I do get complaints however, about feedback from the other end, i.e.
    >> they can hear their voices coming back.
    >>
    >> What's the best set-up to avoid this?
    >>
    >> Any advice would be wecomed with my thanks.
    >>
    >> Mick.
    >>

    >1st ditch the el cheapo USB phone and get a ATA and use a "proper" phone

    Agreed!!
    If you are new to this you might not understand the jargon.
    ATA is an Analogue Telephone Adapter. You plug it into your router
    and attach an ordinary telephone to it. You don't need to have your
    computer switched on. Unlike Skype etc. it isn't a toytown telephone
    system - it uses SIP. If you haven't got a router you can get an
    router-ATA or use an ATA that goes between your broadband modem and
    your computer (such as an appropriate Grandstream model.).
    You can attach all the phones in your house to it if you wish - within
    the REN limitations of the ATA. If you use something like a Sipura
    SPA-3000 you can have your voip and landline phone service connected
    to the same phone(s).
    Check out these sites for information:-
    voip-info.org on
    http://tinyurl.com/q6beb
    and voxilla on
    http://voxilla.com

    Popular voip operators include:-
    voip.co.uk - best for UK tariffs
    vopifone.co.uk
    - Excellent for incoming services (voicemail etc) - Free 056
    numbers
    voiptalk.co.uk
    sipgate.com - free geo. numbers
    and, if you like to pay more, voxilla.com
    Check on google groups as to what people think of the various
    operators.
    Personally, if you are not all that clued up technoically and don't
    want to spend too much time learning, I'd go to BUY NOT RENT, an
    UNLOCKED, ready set up, ATA from voip.co.uk or voipfone.co.uk

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Mar 20, 2006
  4. Mick Tully

    Mick Tully Guest

    Many thanks Mark, but can you explain what " ATA and proper phone"
    means?

    Sorry, but I *am* a beginner.

    Thanks,
    Mick.
    Mick Tully, Mar 20, 2006
  5. Thus spaketh Mick Tully:
    > Many thanks Mark, but can you explain what " ATA and proper phone"
    > means?
    >
    > Sorry, but I *am* a beginner.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mick.

    Proper phone is your ordinary corded or (DECT) cordless phone you use on your
    normal landline, you plug these into the ATA (explained previously). You then
    use the phone as you would your BT/cable service.

    I have a LinkSys PAP2 ATA and use both www.sipgate.co.uk and www.voipstunt.com
    , the PAP2 is connected to my router, again explained previously are various
    options.
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Mar 21, 2006
  6. Mick Tully

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Mick Tully" <> wrote in message
    > Many thanks Mark, but can you explain what " ATA and
    > proper phone" means?

    ATA - Analogue Telephone Adaptor - as described in another post, it is a
    device you plug into your router (or you can get routers with an ATA built
    in, I use the Fritz!Box Fon from AVM www.avm.de/en)

    Proper phone - what you use on your landline. Plug one or more of these
    into the ATA.

    > Sorry, but I *am* a beginner.

    No problem, we all were once.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Mar 21, 2006
  7. Mick Tully

    old man Guest

    I take it this means the ATA automatically detects which protocol the
    incoming call is using and does its thing?
    What occurs if you have a number of extensions and some one is on the
    landline, on another phone. Can you still make / receive a voip call via the
    ATA?
    Also if you are using voip on this ATA can calls still be made from the std
    line?

    Thanks, still trying to understand which hw / what service to go for.

    old man, Mar 21, 2006
  8. Mick Tully

    Mick Tully Guest

    What a helpful and friendly NG!

    Thanks to all, for your help and advice.

    Mick.
    Mick Tully, Mar 21, 2006
  9. Mick Tully

    pzboyz Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:

    > No problem, we all were once.
    >
    > Ivor

    And with voip, it seems there is still much to be learnt ... so staying
    an expert or 'know-it-all'(c) is kinda hard too. :(

    pzboyz
    pzboyz, Mar 23, 2006
  10. Mick Tully

    muzz Guest

    Well here is MY VOIP experience whcih may help you too ! Started out with
    Skype then tried most of the other 'Soft' ones. Eventually heard of the
    freebies on VOIPstunt and got myself an ATA. I got one of these rather than
    a USB phone because I had payed for Skype out before, but the missus didn't
    use it cos she couldn't be bothered firing up the PC to make a call !
    So anyway the Grandstream Budgetone 486 plugs into my router then my normal
    cordless phone plugs into it. The 486 gets setup with my login details for
    VOIPstunt and stays connected. I just pick up my phone and phone in the
    normal manner, the call is VOIP so 'for now' it's free UK calls.
    I can access the 'normal' phone line by dialling *00.
    I have now sent the 486 back because it didn't do the Caller ID from the BT
    line, I have ordered a Sipura SPA-3000.

    --
    Muzz
    my email is muzzmackay 'at' gmail 'dot' com
    muzz, Mar 23, 2006