My Vintage Fantasy PC

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by GreenXenon, Feb 8, 2009.

  1. GreenXenon

    GreenXenon Guest

    Hi:

    http://www.redhill.net.au/b/b-93.html

    From the looks of all MoBo's on that site, the "UMC 386DX-40" is
    probably the best for my vintage dream PC.

    My vintage dream PC contains that MoBo along with the following:

    1. OS: Windows 3.0 [not 3.0a, just 3.0] in enhanced mode with "Windows
    3.0 Multimedia" & "Windows with Multimedia Extensions Version 1.0"

    See http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-31/windows-30-multimedia/3542.html

    2. Sound Card: SB16 ISA [all accessories -- such as speakers --
    included]

    3. Most advanced graphics/video card and PC monitor [screen] that
    would still be compatible with Windows 3.0 and other softwares/
    hardwares in my vintage dream PC

    4. NDW [Norton Desktop for Windows] with Sleeper [screensaver] and
    batchrun.exe -- "Norton Desktop (Utility Suite) for Windows 3.0", I
    believe.

    5. Canyon.mid [midi file often present with Windows OSes] -- Windows
    3.0 version if the song specifically sounds different in 3.0

    6. Window Entertainment Pack [including the Idlewild screensaver]

    7. Creative Lab's SB16 FM MIDI kit

    8. The CD-ROM disk that contains what's described in the following
    link:

    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.technology.obsolete/msg/a57ec0bb21f6d19b

    9. Three ISA-card modems for the following:

    A. The 1st modem is to be used similar to a phone. Perhaps to talk
    over the phone via the PC. It is the most advanced ISA telephone card
    that would still be compatible with Windows 3.0 and other softwares/
    hardwares in my vintage dream PC

    B. The 2nd modem is for dial-up internet access and uses the most
    advanced MFSK-based ISA dial-up modem that would still be compatible
    with Windows 3.0 and other softwares/hardwares in my vintage dream PC.
    Of course this assumes that MFSK-based modems would exist for internet
    access and be compatible with the other softwares/hardwares in my
    vintage dream PC. If MFSK is not an option, then FSK is okay. Hoping
    for MFSK but prepared for FSK if MFSK is not possible.

    FSK = Frequency-Shift Keying

    MFSK = Multiple-Frequency-Shift-Keying.

    If MFSK is indeed existent and compatible with the rest of my system,
    then I would prefer that it be the type of MFSK which uses the most
    bits-per-baud that is fully-compatible with the rest of my system.

    Even better if the remote PC that connects my PC to the internet has
    the same characteristics as my dream PC and is located in central
    Switzerland while I am in Southern California.

    Yup! Long Distance International Dial-Up Internet Access!

    C. The 3rd modem uses the European Deaf Telephone [EDT] protocol and
    can be used to communicate with the EDT devices in Switzerland. Of
    course, I'm assuming this even exists for PCs. Most likely, there is
    no EDT-compatible interface for PCs and even if they were, I doubt
    they would work with Win 3.0. Hopefully, I'm wrong and EDT does work
    with Win 3.0 and the PC hardware. Again, this should be the most
    advanced ISA EDT modem that would still be compatible with Windows 3.0
    and other softwares/hardwares in my vintage dream PC

    10. The most advanced Netscape-based browser that would be compatible
    with Win 3.0

    11. "The Software Toolworks Multimedia Encyclopedia", Version 1.5,
    Grolier, Inc. (1992)

    All of the above should be fully-compatible with the UMC 386DX-40
    motherboard.

    Thanks

    GreenXenon, Feb 8, 2009