    Please don't flame me.

    --
    Spin
    Spin, Jun 26, 2009

  2. Spin

    Mike Easter Guest

    Spin wrote:

    > My understanding of iterative vs. recursive DNS queries is as follows.
    > Is this correct?

    How do you like pictures/diagrams? Compare and contrast 243 w/ 244.

    http://snipr.com/kw71t Figure 244: Recursive DNS Name Resolution
    http://snipr.com/kw733 Figure 243: Iterative DNS Name Resolution

    From the TCP/IP Guide - DNS Basic Name Resolution Techniques: Iterative
    and Recursive Resolution

    To me, what is most useful in that 4 page discussion at the guide is the
    4th page about the realworld -- "As you can see, recursive and iterative
    requests can be combined in a single resolution, providing significant
    flexibility to the process as a whole. This is demonstrated in a more
    realistic example in the topic detailing the DNS name resolution process.
    <link>"

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jun 26, 2009

  3. Spin

    Spin Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > How do you like pictures/diagrams? Compare and contrast 243 w/ 244.
    >
    > http://snipr.com/kw71t Figure 244: Recursive DNS Name Resolution
    > http://snipr.com/kw733 Figure 243: Iterative DNS Name Resolution
    >
    > From the TCP/IP Guide - DNS Basic Name Resolution Techniques: Iterative
    > and Recursive Resolution
    >
    > To me, what is most useful in that 4 page discussion at the guide is the
    > 4th page about the realworld -- "As you can see, recursive and iterative
    > requests can be combined in a single resolution, providing significant
    > flexibility to the process as a whole. This is demonstrated in a more
    > realistic example in the topic detailing the DNS name resolution process.
    > <link>"

    Thanks! I like the graphics!
    Spin, Jun 26, 2009